Shoulder and lower back pain

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Shoulder and lower back pain

Postby tony1992 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if everything who rides a road bike get this as well. I'm a 19 year old who weigh about 54kgs, so I'm not all that big, but my fitness level has always been high, I've played alot of sports including cycling and I do quite a distance throughout the week. However what I find is that everytime I do over 30-40kms in one trip. My lower back and shoulder starts to become sore. This is really annoying somewhat, and I'd like to get rid of it or at least eliminate it. Does this happen to everyone?? and is it something that's inevitable when riding a road bike in the low position like that?? My drops height I think thats what its called (drop between seat and handlebar) is about 6cm, that's normal right??? is the stem being a bit long contributing to my shoulder pain???

If anyone has had previous experience can help me out that would be great, thanks
tony1992

by BNA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:25 pm

BNA

Re: Shoulder and lower back pain

Postby sumgy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Not normal.
My saddle to bar drop is about 3.5cm and I am 6'2.5" tall.

I would suggest that perhaps your saddle is too high, the geometry of your bike does not suit you or your bike is too small.
But without knowing more about you and your bike it is hard to pinpoint
sumgy

Return to Cycling Health