Shoulder pain

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Shoulder pain

Postby DANger-is » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:11 pm

I've been riding a 65km road circuit lately and have been getting an aching feeling across my shoulders. Last ride I also had pins and needles (not literally) in my right arm.

I'm assuming it has something to do with my bike setup, any ideas on what I need to adjust?
DANger-is

by BNA » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:18 pm

BNA

Re: Shoulder pain

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Core and lower back static strength could do with work so you put less weight on your hands on the bars. Lift the bars relative to the saddle.

hard to tell without seeing a photo of you on the bike.
trailgumby

Postby London Boy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm

DANger-is wrote:I've been riding a 65km road circuit lately and have been getting an aching feeling across my shoulders. Last ride I also had pins and needles (not literally) in my right arm.

I'm assuming it has something to do with my bike setup, any ideas on what I need to adjust?

What happens if you change your position? Is it the same in the drops, on the hoods, etc? How soon does the ache start? Have you had it before, or has it only just started?

The ache across the shoulders could just be natural muscle fatigue, or it could be something else. Hard to say from your description. The pins and needles sounds like a trapped nerve - I get something similar if I hold my hands above and behind my head. Clothes tight or twisted?

Any other symptoms? If the ache etc don't go away after a few more rides then it might be time to visit your general practitioner.
London Boy

Postby sumgy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:08 pm

Could be your bars too low in relation to your saddle or your saddle could be too far forward.
As always I recommend that you take a look at Steve Hogg and set up your bike via his method.
Most people will find their saddle too high and some will find their saddle too close to their bars.

Read these topics in this order:

The right side bias
Seat Height, how hard can it be
Seat set back for road bikes
Addendum to road pedals, which are best
Power to the Pedal - Cleat Position
Foot Correction Part 1

Also read "Perspectives on Fitting".[/quote]
sumgy

Postby DANger-is » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 am

Cheers guys

I've had the discomfort for a while, I only seem to get it on the longer rides (for me that's about 65km).

I'll have a read through that info on how to setup your bike and see how I go.
DANger-is

Postby scotto » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

not enough flexibility in the thoracic /lower neck region i reckon.
scotto

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Scotty swearing again but I was going to say. Your neck will take some time to accustom itself to the
unnatural position of.. body at 35/40degrees to the road and you constantly holding your headback off centre a bit
too see were you're going. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Shoulder pain

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:52 pm

scotto wrote:not enough flexibility in the thoracic /lower neck region i reckon.

And heres me thinking if it is frozen solid I was saving time not doing core work ;-)
toolonglegs

Return to Cycling Health