Feeling cold when I'm boiling?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Today I went for a 36km ride (more than normal for me) that included 800 meters of climbing. It was pretty hot (should have left much earlier) and 3/4 of the way through I was boiling but started to feel cold (even though I knew I was hot - sweat dripping off me). Was still sweating buckets but it was really weird. Was that the beginnings of heat exhaustion or something? I slowed down when it happened...

I'd drunk 1.6L of water by that stage, and 2L by the time I got finally home. At home I straight away had 500mL and then weighed myself - about 500g less than when I left, so I don't think I was highly dehydrated?
InTheWoods

by BNA » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:49 pm

BNA

Re: Feeling cold when I'm boiling?

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:49 pm

FIrst signs of heat stroke and that you need more fluids.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
Addictr3

Postby Max » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Addictr3 wrote:FIrst signs of heat stroke and that you need more fluids.

+1. The body reacts in weird ways when it doesn't have the fluid it needs. This morning's heat in Brisbane was crazy. In this sort of heat, I aim for at least one litre of water per hour, more if I'm starting to feel dryness in my mouth or if I start coughing (these are both early warning signs for me).

If I start to feel overheated, I pour water through the vents of my helmet and carry on cycling. The airflow produces an evaporative effect that cools me down quickly. If that doesn't help, I pour water down my back and chest, and let the airflow do the rest. If I'm still feeling compromised after those three things, I pull over and rest in the shade. Even if I'm well hydrated, sometimes there is no point trying to fight the heat.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:38 pm

I was drinking a fair bit, I was only about an hour in when it started happening, and had poured some over me too. I suspect maybe I couldn't absorb the water fast enough, should have started drinking right from the start, and I should have been using an electrolyte type drink instead of plain water to help it get absorbed faster... That afternoon I was going to the toilet every 30 minutes so its not like the water wasn't in there :)

I tend to get hotter than other people when exercising for some reason. Now that I think about it, I had something similar when playing squash with my brother and my (much older) Dad. They were ok and I was feeling bad & getting the chills. It was 35 degrees or something at the time though and no air flow like you get on a bike... then again you don't get much airflow doing 8kmh up a 17% slope either (I am *not* a climber)...
InTheWoods

Postby Apple » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 pm

virus? :?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
Apple

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Apple wrote:virus? :?

Nah, not sick in any other way and my kids haven't got any bugs at the moment :) Plus too much of a coincidence it started just when I happened to boiling away on a ride...

Next time, I'll try to be home before I left this time :)
InTheWoods

Postby master6 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:03 pm

menopause
master6

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Today I went for a 36km ride (more than normal for me) that included 800 meters of climbing

Really...is 800meters vertical possible in a 18km in Brisbane :shock: ...the other 18kms had to be down hill right :P .

Sounds like you have a bug to me.
toolonglegs

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Today I went for a 36km ride (more than normal for me) that included 800 meters of climbing

Really...is 800meters vertical possible in a 18km in Brisbane :shock: ...the other 18kms had to be down hill right :P .

Sounds like you have a bug to me.

It wasn't all in one go :) Up down up down up down all the way there and back... Plus I'm not sure if ridewithgps was right was this one. I vaguely remember doing it on another one and it was more like 600m.
InTheWoods

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I think the advice re: heatstroke is on the money. Although a bug may be in the mix making you more susceptible.

It's important to drink continuously, and not just water but isotonic electrolytes. You definitely made the right call getting off the bike and sitting down.
trailgumby

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 pm

It happened again today but not quite as bad. Only a 28km ride which included a loop around mt cootha. I didn't struggle too much with the climb, but felt a bit chilly by the top of it. Took an hour and a bit for the ride plus a rest at the lookout, and I drank 1.8L of water in that period, after having a few cups before leaving...

Was pretty hot today though and I did it around 9-10:30am. There was a few other crazy people doing the same thing.
InTheWoods

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:28 am

1.8L of water is a lot for that time period, but I don't know the climb. Perhaps weigh yourself before and after each ride and diarise it... this will tell you whether you're drinking enough, too little or too much.
trailgumby

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:40 pm

This happened to me today too, on a hot ride. As I came back into town, I nipped into the hospital, to top up with cold water, and got my temp checked, to see if I was getting heatstroke. My temp was normal at 36.7.
I then did another 50km in very hot conditions. As I finished that, I went and got my temp checked again, and this time was 37.4. I was getting a few chills then, but not as much as on the first lap. I'm thinking that I was on the verge of getting heat stroke though, and was soft pedaling t get through the trip, and glad to finish.
I'm not sure how to interpret that. I felt the chills most as I drank.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho

Return to Cycling Health