Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Spoilt developed country citizen. Want to live longer through healthier body, yet unwilling to sacrifice gluttonous dietary habit. Had to develop lots of excuses and complex strategies in attempts to achieve that goal.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

by BNA » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:06 pm

BNA

Postby paladin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Many thx for continued comments. Am doing lots if reading based on comments made. Cheers.
paladin

Re: Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

Postby Abby » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 am

If you really want to focus on weight-loss, and performance isn't an issue - then unless you are riding more than 90min-2hrs, then don't worry about 'fuelling' for your ride or eating during the ride. There's plenty of stored energy in the body for rides up to that length - pre-fuelling &/or on-ride eating isn't necessary.

Note though - I'm talking about a focus on weight-loss. If your focus is on improving performance - then that advice changes. You probably need to decide which is more important to you (for the next 'training block' at least), and eat accordingly...

Good luck!! :D

Cheers,
Abby
Abby

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Abby wrote:If you really want to focus on weight-loss, and performance isn't an issue - then unless you are riding more than 90min-2hrs, then don't worry about 'fuelling' for your ride or eating during the ride. There's plenty of stored energy in the body for rides up to that length - pre-fuelling &/or on-ride eating isn't necessary.

Good advice!

Lance Armstrong is the perfect example. Great rider before cancer. Dramatically lost weight during cancer treatment and then customised his fitness and form according to his new objectives.
sogood

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:30 pm

"customized"... :-)
toolonglegs

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:52 pm

toolonglegs wrote:"customized"... :-)

Ok you picky semi-Frog. :P
sogood

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 am

I've found the optimum distance for me to ride to lose weight is about 30 km a day. Any more than that and I get rebound munchies.
30km depletes glycogen stores and gets open the fat stores for business, without putting me into the "must eat" zone.
I also find that fate a big work-out, I get water retention for a few days from muscle swelling.
If your mesures are coming down, all is good, and the scale will eventually follow.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:35 pm

If you were successfully burning fat on the old regime, then you need the old regime, perhaps just longer rides at the same pace. Focus on nutrition, everything else is a moot point really. You have to plummet your intakes to make your body drop weight. Really, the riding probably just distracts you from smokes, beer and pies, rather than causing serious weight loss.

If you were moving to a 200km week, same time in the saddle, I'm not surprised you've stopped losing weight. Your body WILL learn to protect itself to be able to cope with such a serious workload - that means painful hunger to refuel, serious fatigue in the muscles to stop you riding so hard, overall lethargy etc. Better to return your old regime, and add in just one day of intensity just to make it interesting. You will benefit from stronger legs so some tougher intervals once a week won't hurt.
Xplora

Postby Rex » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:50 pm

I've recently increased my cycling from an average 150km a week commuting to now include an additional 130/140km on the weekend focussing on performance increase. Food demands have certainly skyrocketted but since I Calorie Count that is absolutely fine as I am still in deficit for weight-loss but I feel safe knowing I can eat plenty of food throughout the day without overdoing it, as long as I watch what I eat and record it all.

Starting at 112kg September 2010, I've just hit my target of 80kg this week. Ive only Calorie Counted the past few weeks to get rid of the last 5kgs.. I wish I did it months ago.

www.myfitnesspal.com
Rex

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Rex wrote:I've recently increased my cycling from an average 150km a week commuting to now include an additional 130/140km on the weekend focussing on performance increase. Food demands have certainly skyrocketted but since I Calorie Count that is absolutely fine as I am still in deficit for weight-loss but I feel safe knowing I can eat plenty of food throughout the day without overdoing it, as long as I watch what I eat and record it all.

Starting at 112kg September 2010, I've just hit my target of 80kg this week. Ive only Calorie Counted the past few weeks to get rid of the last 5kgs.. I wish I did it months ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com

+1 Rex, used it to lose my 32kg's and has helped my train my minds eye on consumption.
Mrfenejeans

Postby PawPaw » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Ken Ho wrote:I've found the optimum distance for me to ride to lose weight is about 30 km a day. Any more than that and I get rebound munchies.
30km depletes glycogen stores and gets open the fat stores for business, without putting me into the "must eat" zone.
I also find that fate a big work-out, I get water retention for a few days from muscle swelling.
If your mesures are coming down, all is good, and the scale will eventually follow.

I agree with this. i think there's a threshold training volume (and intensity) that when transgressed, stimulates appetite above the level of the additional Calories expended. The threshold will vary between people.
PawPaw

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:38 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:I've found the optimum distance for me to ride to lose weight is about 30 km a day. Any more than that and I get rebound munchies.

I agree with this. i think there's a threshold training volume (and intensity) that when transgressed, stimulates appetite above the level of the additional Calories expended. The threshold will vary between people.

Sorry Ken have to disagree, just because you ride 30km a day doesnt factor any special fat loss properties, it clearly just create a deficent in your OVERALL calories for the day. your diet is making you the lose the weight, you say you eat MORE when you ride more, well makes sense, you are burning more calories, which leads to eating more calories. If you just counted how much you ate, factor in the exercise and ate the same deficent you did on 30km days, I bet you would feel the same. Plus it depends on what you are eating. (not bringing up the whole clean vs dirty food crap) but more on, fibre and lower/slower GI foods (which again a whole debate in itself) as who only eats WHITE bread... usually you add a fat/protein to it, hence it slows down the GI properties.

Sorry getting carried away, back to my point. There is no MAGICAL fat loss area, it comes down to your daily caloric needs, Find out how many calories you need a day, factor in exercise, create a defienct in calories (say -500cals) and weigh yourself once a week. Meal timing is actually quite important, I find PRE/POST workout is fairly important, not saying you should quickly hit that POST WORKOUT WINDOWS (that is a myth) but more for strength(PRE) and Recovery(POST) dont need supplements if you eat a balanced diet and Protein drinks/supplements are more for people who are on the run/less time to prepare proper foods..
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
Addictr3

Postby sogood » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:22 am

Good rebuttal. It's all a question of self control. Ride more, endure hunger, lose more weight. The hunger is actually a good sign for those who truly intends to lose weight. Without self control, any weight lost will eventually come back.
sogood

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:48 am

sogood wrote:It's all a question of self control.

There's my problem right there - I have none. I love all the bad stuff like beer, chips and chocolate. :P I lost 5kg when I stopped eating them and changed not much else. If I go back to eating crap the weight loss stops. But I'm still happy, I'm much fitter since riding and I have kept the 5kg off. In the new year I will have a go at losing another 5 which will see me hit my BMI target.
DaveOZ

Postby sogood » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:19 am

DaveOZ wrote:There's my problem right there - I have none. I love all the bad stuff like beer, chips and chocolate. :P I lost 5kg when I stopped eating them and changed not much else. If I go back to eating crap the weight loss stops. But I'm still happy, I'm much fitter since riding and I have kept the 5kg off. In the new year I will have a go at losing another 5 which will see me hit my BMI target.

In terms of hunger discomfort, that's one of those modifiable body sensations. As is, the "body" is used to an intake quantum. By keeping your intake down over a period of time, the sensation can be suitably shaped to your benefit. A bit similar to quitting tobacco, the initial period is the hardest to endure.

Yes, the temptation of "beer, chip and chocolate" is strong. May the Force be with you! 8)
sogood

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Whoa, Addict dude, you read a whole lot of stuff into my post that was just not there.
I agree, weight loss is simply a matter of calorie deficit.
For ME, 30 km a day is MY optimal distance to lose weight. If I ride more, I get the re-bound munchies and I struggle with that.
To burn fat, first I must deplete glycogen stores. That's not a special fat burning zone or property or anything else mystical, it's just the way the body works.
The OP has found that he is not losing weight, despite riding more. I was just offering my experience on the issue, not asserting any special knowledge or claiming righteous ground.
Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Beer and chips don't faze me none.
Chocolate, on the other hand is a terminal weakness. Despite that, I'm doing OK weight wise. Stable at 76kg for some time now, aiming for 72, can't complain about that.
Ken Ho

Postby sogood » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Ken Ho wrote:To burn fat, first I must deplete glycogen stores. That's not a special fat burning zone or property or anything else mystical, it's just the way the body works.

Unfortunately, you've just bonked (if you really depleted your glycogen store)! No, that's not how the body works nor is your description correct.
sogood

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Ken Ho wrote:Whoa, Addict dude, you read a whole lot of stuff into my post that was just not there.
I agree, weight loss is simply a matter of calorie deficit.
For ME, 30 km a day is MY optimal distance to lose weight. If I ride more, I get the re-bound munchies and I struggle with that.
To burn fat, first I must deplete glycogen stores. That's not a special fat burning zone or property or anything else mystical, it's just the way the body works.
The OP has found that he is not losing weight, despite riding more. I was just offering my experience on the issue, not asserting any special knowledge or claiming righteous ground.

you mad?

www.bodyrecomposition.com might do wonders for you, please go read :-)
Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:41 pm

sogood wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:To burn fat, first I must deplete glycogen stores. That's not a special fat burning zone or property or anything else mystical, it's just the way the body works.

Unfortunately, you've just bonked (if you really depleted your glycogen store)! No, that's not how the body works nor is your description correct.

X 20000.
Addictr3

Postby Zynster » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:59 pm

sogood wrote:

The sky is blue. Your argument is invalid. :P
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
Zynster

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 am

Good grief.
My bonk distance is 50 km, after a light breakfast.
30 gives me enough glycogen depletion that BMR gets on with the business of burning fat sooner.

Later, dOOds.
Ken Ho

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 am

Weight loss by bonking is a new one to me. :mrgreen:
sogood

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:36 pm

sogood wrote:Weight loss by bonking is a new one to me. :mrgreen:

You really do need to work on your reading comprehension.
Ken Ho

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 pm

sogood wrote:Weight loss by bonking is a new one to me. :mrgreen:

Actually I've heard of it before. Read the bit on weight loss here.

Personally I think what Ken is saying is very reasonable. If I'm commuting to work I don't usually have breaky before I go and have it in there. I don't believe it works if the intensity is high though as performance suffers. When doing a longer ride before work I always eat. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Health