Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Comedian wrote:
sogood wrote:Weight loss by bonking is a new one to me. :mrgreen:


Actually I've heard of it before. Read the bit on weight loss here.

Personally I think what Ken is saying is very reasonable. If I'm commuting to work I don't usually have breaky before I go and have it in there. I don't believe it works if the intensity is high though as performance suffers. When doing a longer ride before work I always eat. :)



That's an intereting link. I am certainly in the base building phase of my cycling, and I enjoy doing the kind of riding he suggests, though I don't bother to measure my HR. I just ride at my max sustainable rate, and let the hills dictate when I increase the intensity.
There was also this man called Robert Atkins who wrote a book about weight loss. Despite being pilloried by the medical establishment, he was essentially correct, though some of the details ihis original book were not.
interestingly, his approach os now being adopted.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Pikey, based on Southern Gold Coast

by BNA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 pm

BNA
 

Re: Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Ken, if its working for you, mate all the best. Atleast you're cycling and taking an interest in health, so all the best. Sorry if I came off as a little hot headed. I just get annoyed sometimes :P
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

Re: Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Ken Ho wrote:You really do need to work on your reading comprehension.

No, it's exactly what you wrote.
Ken Ho wrote:To burn fat, first I must deplete glycogen stores. That's not a special fat burning zone or property or anything else mystical, it's just the way the body works.

30km is no base training. :P
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16894
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:27 pm

sogood wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:You really do need to work on your reading comprehension.

No, it's exactly what you wrote.
Ken Ho wrote:To burn fat, first I must deplete glycogen stores. That's not a special fat burning zone or property or anything else mystical, it's just the way the body works.

30km is no base training. :P



Dude, you must have missed the bit where I said that 50 km is my bonk distance. Im not even nearly bonked at 30, which is why its my optimum distance for weight loss. Despite that, I can keep riding ,just at a lower intensity. I get hungry after though, ie, rebound munchies. As I said, improve your reading comprehension.
I agree, 30 km is just prep training. 50 km a day is reasonable base work. 100 km or more for a serious ride, unless there are proper hills, in which case 70 suffices.
Depends on your goals, of course. My goals are long course triathlon and Audax rides.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Pikey, based on Southern Gold Coast

Re: Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Ken Ho wrote:
sogood wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:You really do need to work on your reading comprehension.

No, it's exactly what you wrote.
Ken Ho wrote:To burn fat, first I must deplete glycogen stores. That's not a special fat burning zone or property or anything else mystical, it's just the way the body works.

30km is no base training. :P



Dude, you must have missed the bit where I said that 50 km is my bonk distance. Im not even nearly bonked at 30, which is why its my optimum distance for weight loss. Despite that, I can keep riding ,just at a lower intensity. I get hungry after though, ie, rebound munchies. As I said, improve your reading comprehension.
I agree, 30 km is just prep training. 50 km a day is reasonable base work. 100 km or more for a serious ride, unless there are proper hills, in which case 70 suffices.
Depends on your goals, of course. My goals are long course triathlon and Audax rides.


Whaaa? 50km bonk? Yet you want to ride Long Audax rides?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

Re: Upped mileage and weight loss has stopped

Postby notwal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Whaaa? 50km bonk? Yet you want to ride Long Audax rides?


Last time I started empty I only got about 50 km before I needed a good lie down. That hasn't stopped me riding 200 properly fuelled.
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Previous

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter