Flexibility and riding

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Flexibility and riding

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 am

I was wondering if riding can improve your flexibility? I haven't been able to touch my toes since I was 2 or something and I'm 37 now (I think). I've been getting more into the riding lately, and then by accident when fooling around with my kids tonight, discovered I can not only touch my toes but get right down so the 2nd knuckle on my fingers is touching the ground. The only exercise I do is cycling, chasing my kids around, and working in the garden (which includes digging out tree stumps, digging trenches etc etc).

Is this a good sign, is it caused by my cycling, or does it mean something is going wrong with my legs/tendons etc, as in I'm permanently stretching them and soon will resemble a piece of cooked spaghetti??
InTheWoods

by BNA » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:20 am

BNA

Re: Flexibility and riding

Postby ave a go » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:20 am

Hi,

I would say that it's an indirect result of the cycling.

It's the stretching that you are doing that would be making you more flexible.

Cheers,
Matt
Riding: 2009 Giant CRX Four

ave a go

Re: Flexibility and riding

Postby NBSE2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:23 pm

I have not reviewed the forum for discussion on hip flexors but riding your bike will exercise these muscles and cause them to tighten up. After you ride your bike it is very important that you stretch these muscles out. I recommend that you introduce your self to Yoga, specifcally what are called sun salutes to stretch these muscles out. This can not be underestimated. Yoga will also give you an understanding of your body and provide a baseline going forward generally. I am not giving medical advise, but you need to stretch! :D
NBSE2

Return to Cycling Health