Surely She Can't Be Serious!

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Surely She Can't Be Serious!

Postby Davobel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 pm

The point to remember is that you have to use these only as guidelines. We are all different and have slightly different metabolism. When I was in my 20's I tried a vegetarian diet for 30 days. I lost 20 pounds that I did not have to lose and was extremely weak. But I wanted to stay at it for a month, I ended it with a 1 pound steak and could literally feel 'life' coming back into my body. (My vegetarian friends hate this story :) So my point is that you have to work out what works for you. Many diets around, and most are for people trying to lose weight. Metabolic Typing has a good questionnaire that can guide you to whether you are protein dominant, carb dominant or a mix of the two. Ayurvedic looks at different body types and has diets based on these (and other details). Bottom line is different diets work for different body types and to assume that one diet would work for everyone is foolish.
Davobel

by BNA » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 am

BNA

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 am

I was using protein supplements for a while and noted that my legs never really got sore. I cut back (thought I'd cut out something I didn't need) and bingo ... heavy legs again.

Of late I've been having 20g before a big ride plus the usual 30g after and I'm noticing a lot less soreness. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Comedian wrote:I was using protein supplements for a while and noted that my legs never really got sore. I cut back (thought I'd cut out something I didn't need) and bingo ... heavy legs again.

Of late I've been having 20g before a big ride plus the usual 30g after and I'm noticing a lot less soreness. :)

Sounds like you lack protein in your diet, whey isnt magical.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
Addictr3

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Comedian wrote:I was using protein supplements for a while and noted that my legs never really got sore. I cut back (thought I'd cut out something I didn't need) and bingo ... heavy legs again.

So after my ride yesterday I had 3 fried eggs, 6 Scallops, big cup of lentils, 3 weetbix with milk, later on I had a protein drink ...still have sore legs today :lol: .
toolonglegs

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:

So after my ride yesterday I had 3 fried eggs, 6 Scallops, big cup of lentils, 3 weetbix with milk, later on I had a protein drink ...still have sore legs today :lol: .

That sounds great!

For me however I found the benefit comes with consistent use. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Addictr3 wrote:

Sounds like you lack protein in your diet, whey isnt magical.

it's possible, because who knows how many g/kg bwt of protein is in their diet.

otoh, higher protein intake is associated with lower hydration status, due to reduced sense of thirst or increased utilization of water in protein metabolism.
A sense of heavy legs is most likely due to fluid pressure, not necessarily abnormal fluid pressure. muscles may be going through an adaptation phase of storing more glycogen, which binds 3-4x its weight in water. and more protein removes the water....

but i dunno.....what's everyone else think??? :shock:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/a/proteindehydrat.htm
PawPaw

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Turned out legs were sore because I was getting sick :evil: ...oh well next time.
toolonglegs

Previous

Return to Cycling Health