How much do you eat and how often

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

How much do you eat and how often

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Meditator wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I don't eat any meat apart from fish... finding good protein is hard work!. I have upped my protein intake to about 160 grams per day (double what I was) plus 300-400 grams of carb and abot 50-70 of fat.


Its easy to find enough quality protein

all the beans legumes lentils are high in protein as well as carbs.
dairy is high in protein and milk is the best source of calcium because its so easy to get your daily requirement from only two cups of milk.
eggs

all protein is good quality

160g or protein is a lot. I remember reading that sportspeople should eat about a gram of protein per kg of their bodyweight. So you are either very overweight and therefore not a sportsperson or you are way overdoing it.

from http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm
Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.

vegetable protein isn't the same as animal protein... Having been a vegan and vegetarian I don't need science to tell me that. I have tried the one gram of protein a day per kilo... For me it wasn't enough although a lot of it would have been vegetable.
Since upping my protein a month / 6 weeks ago... Effectively taking about 4 protein fixes a day ( 2 eggs / 1 portion fish / 2 via powder ) my muscle mass has increased 4% and I have lost 6 kgs while doing 350-500 km's a week and racing 80-140 km races.
The science can say what it wants but I am flying and not about to stop :-) .
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14598
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

by BNA » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 am

BNA
 

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby BarryTas » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 am

BarryTas wrote:my wife now introduces me as, "and this is Barry, please don't feed him" :roll:



hmm, now my boss introduced me to the new staff member yesterday........"and this is Barry please don't feed him" :roll:
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby skull » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:59 pm

I just ate 2 packets of TimTams in one sitting.

I feel ill.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby BarryTas » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 am

i am eating for 2, 2 angry needed legs
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby durilium » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm a whippet trying to gain a bit of weight, i have joined the gym about two months ago to lift weights and dropped my cycling to once a week which is a Saturday morning ride consisting of 60km-100km loop. I am on a seafood diet so i eat everything in sight but i keep it clean, lots of meat, tuna, fish oil caps and veges and a about a litre of additional milk with strawberry flavoured quik added, so far i've put on 3kgs i still look quite skinny so most of the weight put on is lean muscle gain from gym work and riding (i only ride hills, Noosa-sunshine coast hinterland area) no flat roads for me :wink: I am happy with my progress especially that now my fitness level has gone through the roof, i can climb hills with ease now at decent speed and cadence whilst still having plenty left in the tank when i reach the top :P
Image
durilium
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby BarryTas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:16 am

durilium wrote:I'm a whippet trying to gain a bit of weight, i have joined the gym about two months ago to lift weights and dropped my cycling to once a week which is a Saturday morning ride consisting of 60km-100km loop. I am on a seafood diet so i eat everything in sight but i keep it clean, lots of meat, tuna, fish oil caps and veges and a about a litre of additional milk with strawberry flavoured quik added, so far i've put on 3kgs i still look quite skinny so most of the weight put on is lean muscle gain from gym work and riding (i only ride hills, Noosa-sunshine coast hinterland area) no flat roads for me :wink: I am happy with my progress especially that now my fitness level has gone through the roof, i can climb hills with ease now at decent speed and cadence whilst still having plenty left in the tank when i reach the top :P



may i ask how tall are you and how much do you weigh?
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby durilium » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 am

BarryTas wrote:
durilium wrote:I'm a whippet trying to gain a bit of weight, i have joined the gym about two months ago to lift weights and dropped my cycling to once a week which is a Saturday morning ride consisting of 60km-100km loop. I am on a seafood diet so i eat everything in sight but i keep it clean, lots of meat, tuna, fish oil caps and veges and a about a litre of additional milk with strawberry flavoured quik added, so far i've put on 3kgs i still look quite skinny so most of the weight put on is lean muscle gain from gym work and riding (i only ride hills, Noosa-sunshine coast hinterland area) no flat roads for me :wink: I am happy with my progress especially that now my fitness level has gone through the roof, i can climb hills with ease now at decent speed and cadence whilst still having plenty left in the tank when i reach the top :P



may i ask how tall are you and how much do you weigh?



180cm and 62kg, i am still 3kg underweight but have always been this way as i have what the doc says a tall thin frame but my bloods and pinch test etc are all fine he just says i am aboslutely fine and to enjoy it, i am 34 now and aiming for around 68kgs by building muscle.

I must say i miss riding twice a week, it's hard to drop to once a week only when i enjoy riding so much but i want results. To be honest i do not know if dropping to riding only once a week is actually helping or not but i guess i don't want to counteract my work in the gym, i could be looking at it the wrong way so i am open to suggestions to get me riding twice a week again and not reversing my work at the gym in any way (losing weight due to riding be it upper body muscle etc)
Image
durilium
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby BarryTas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

Durilium, interesting, i am 30 years old, 182 cms tall and weigh 72-74kgs.

I am no Dr

the only thing i can think of is to eat more protein, eat lots of potatoes and don’t eat much hot/spicy food as it speeds up your metabolism
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby durilium » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

BarryTas wrote:Durilium, interesting, i am 30 years old, 182 cms tall and weigh 72-74kgs.

I am no Dr

the only thing i can think of is to eat more protein, eat lots of potatoes and don’t eat much hot/spicy food as it speeds up your metabolism



As mentioned i drink an additional 800lm-1000ml of extra milk a day, eat either chicken, lamb or tuna each day for protein sources. For instance last night i ate three lambchops, a huge dolop of mashed potato which had mayo added in and a handle full of string beans. Ten minutes after that i ate four weetbix drowned in milk and then a coffee, just before dinner i ate half a pack of chocolate biscuits....my wife watches in disbelief and says i'm a machine, to which i replied "thats what all the ladies say" :twisted: and of course i got the :roll: i'm the joker in the household ;)
Image
durilium
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 pm

durilium wrote:I'm a whippet trying to gain a bit of weight, i have joined the gym about two months ago to lift weights and dropped my cycling to once a week which is a Saturday morning ride consisting of 60km-100km loop. I am on a seafood diet so i eat everything in sight but i keep it clean, lots of meat, tuna, fish oil caps and veges and a about a litre of additional milk with strawberry flavoured quik added, so far i've put on 3kgs i still look quite skinny so most of the weight put on is lean muscle gain from gym work and riding (i only ride hills, Noosa-sunshine coast hinterland area) no flat roads for me :wink: I am happy with my progress especially that now my fitness level has gone through the roof, i can climb hills with ease now at decent speed and cadence whilst still having plenty left in the tank when i reach the top :P


What do you mean by keeping food clean? do you wash it or something :P
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby durilium » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Addictr3 wrote:
durilium wrote:I'm a whippet trying to gain a bit of weight, i have joined the gym about two months ago to lift weights and dropped my cycling to once a week which is a Saturday morning ride consisting of 60km-100km loop. I am on a seafood diet so i eat everything in sight but i keep it clean, lots of meat, tuna, fish oil caps and veges and a about a litre of additional milk with strawberry flavoured quik added, so far i've put on 3kgs i still look quite skinny so most of the weight put on is lean muscle gain from gym work and riding (i only ride hills, Noosa-sunshine coast hinterland area) no flat roads for me :wink: I am happy with my progress especially that now my fitness level has gone through the roof, i can climb hills with ease now at decent speed and cadence whilst still having plenty left in the tank when i reach the top :P


What do you mean by keeping food clean? do you wash it or something :P



Means no bingeing on pizza/takeway/massive amounts of junkfood....last thing you need is arteries full of cottage cheese :lol:
Image
durilium
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby U2adam!!! » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 pm

skull wrote:I just ate 2 packets of TimTams in one sitting.

I feel ill.


RESPECT! :D
Image
User avatar
U2adam!!!
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Southern suburbs of Adelaide

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby PawPaw » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 pm

durilium wrote:Means no bingeing on pizza/takeway/massive amounts of junkfood....last thing you need is arteries full of cottage cheese :lol:


hmmmm.....what do you do for a living?
yeah you might be an ecto, but you can certainly build strength.

How much explosive power training have you ever practised on a bike? If you are like most recreational cyclists, I'd bet little to none, cos it hurts too much.
- next time you go for a ride, cut it short, pick a nice piece of quiet road, and do 10x300 metre standing start sprints with 3 minute recoveries.
- and on your long rides, do hills in high gear low cadence <50rpm.
- at the gym do eccentrics. ask a trainer if you don't know what it means.
- as a matter of interest, see how many pushups and pull ups you can do now. Also time yourself on a nearby climb over 10 minutes long. Then do it again after 3 months at the gym.

Being a tall slim fellow, you'll want to look after your lungs and ribs (look up the term 'spontaneous pneumothorax'). Learn to breathe well with efforts, whether on the bike or in the gym. And get your hydration and rest right.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby durilium » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:49 pm

PawPaw wrote:
durilium wrote:Means no bingeing on pizza/takeway/massive amounts of junkfood....last thing you need is arteries full of cottage cheese :lol:


hmmmm.....what do you do for a living?
yeah you might be an ecto, but you can certainly build strength.

How much explosive power training have you ever practised on a bike? If you are like most recreational cyclists, I'd bet little to none, cos it hurts too much.
- next time you go for a ride, cut it short, pick a nice piece of quiet road, and do 10x300 metre standing start sprints with 3 minute recoveries.
- and on your long rides, do hills in high gear low cadence <50rpm.
- at the gym do eccentrics. ask a trainer if you don't know what it means.
- as a matter of interest, see how many pushups and pull ups you can do now. Also time yourself on a nearby climb over 10 minutes long. Then do it again after 3 months at the gym.

Being a tall slim fellow, you'll want to look after your lungs and ribs (look up the term 'spontaneous pneumothorax'). Learn to breathe well with efforts, whether on the bike or in the gym. And get your hydration and rest right.



I mostly only ride hills, and pretty much make myself suffer every ride, almost every ride i do includes 10% climbs and i never spin up them, pretty much hammer them in a higher gear and when i reach the top i am not puffed or exausted at all but my legs feel like they are going to explode. I have started doing squats at my gym as of this week, doing 30kgs plus bar at the moment whilst i get my form sorted then i'll go heavier, i also do leg press plus a few upper body lifts which is not aimed at cycling but just to help with my physique which is another goal i have set myself. I used to ride competitively and do the crit circut and lakeside raceway etc about 15 odd years ago, general fitness is not my problem i very really getting puffed it's just rebuilding my muscles and strength and then combining my fitness into feeding the muscles to get the whole lot working together again.

Had a mate come up from Brissy that is a A grade competitor to accompany my for a ride to see where i'm at and he was really surprised since i've only been at it again since September, I was able to keep up with him most of the way and when i did drop back a bit i caught him easily on the hills, in a race environment he would of toasted me though this was on a century we did together and i'm much better at endurance, i have not done a crit in years but i'm no good in them i'm more an endurance rider as i seem to be able to sit on 34kms or low 40's with a mate for a good number of K's
Image
durilium
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Previous

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit