How much do you eat and how often

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Livetoride

How much do you eat and how often

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 am

I'm curious as to how much other cyclists eat and how often as my wife says I eat far too much for a normal person (not saying that I'm normal by any stretch of the imagination). Now, I'm 6ft 5in and weigh in at 87kilos

Looking at yesterdays eating as a normal day this is what I ate and when.

06.15 - Large bowl of porridge
08.15 - Large muffin
11.15 - 1 x Sandwich
13.00 - 2 x medium to large rolls with cheese ham and salad and a chocolate bar.
15.30 - Tuna on some crackers
18.30 - 2 x soft boiled eggs after my commute home (love my eggs)
19.30 - Dinner, five chops, lots of mash and sweet corn, broccoli and carrots
21.30 - 2 x cheese and ham long rolls followed by a small chocolate bar and a cup of tea

I normally eat some nuts throughout the day too..

Am keen to find out what everyone else eats and how often...
Happy Days

skull

Re: How much do you eat and how often

Postby skull » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:14 am

Wow, you do eat a fair bit.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:40 am

I just figured with doing a fair amount of K's every week, this was normal... :oops:
Happy Days

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

Black Coffee first thing before MMA Fit Class
One Skinny latte after class (really didn't enjoy it today and I don't think I'll have another - too much diary)
Gluten free Muesli this morning (67grams) with yoghurt and blueberries.
One Peach for morning tea with 1200ml of water in the morning
Lunch felafel, tahini, tomato, cucumber and gluten free bread for lunch
Afternoon tea banana and 1200ml of water in the afternoon
Dinner consists of a protein and vegetables

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Wow Parker that's a a strict diet you have there and wow x 100 for the MMA training, I take my hat off to ya.
Happy Days

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 pm

You eat alot..... :lol: I would go broke if I ate as much as you.
Breakfast: home made sourdough rye/spelt x 2 slices. 2 pears and 3 bananas.
Lunch: 3 chicken rice wraps. ~300g of chicken breast prepared the night before. 1 banana and 1 pear
Dinner: rice, 1 x veg and 1 x meat and soup. Some fruit.

70kg body weight (AT) 1.75m. I ride at least 60km a day and swim 1km a day.

Jon

vander

Postby vander » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Trying to loose weight at the moment I eat something similar to:

Breakfast: Small bowl of cereal with light milk or 2 toast with light cheese
If I ride more then about 50km: Banana (100+ 2xBananas)
Lunch: Previous night (or a couple of nights before) dinner left overs. Usually about 2-300g of lean meat and some carbs (pasta or rice mostly).
Dinner: As above usually if I have beef for lunch ill do chicken for dinner etc.

Usually snack on something like a toast or yoghurt once or twice a day when im hungry. And consume about .5L of light milk a day.

I think I eat a little too little as I have been getting fairly tired. I think its about listening to your body I eat if I'm hungry. If im not hungry I dont eat.

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Sorry livetoride but that is a lot of food. :D
Well I have just started calorieking and I am recording all my food as I have to shed a lot of weight. so far I have lost 3 kg from Christmas day, so I am happy. 6kg more to go.
what do I eat.

short black with 40 mls of whole milk hot.
Banana
.5 grapefruit.
1 boiled egg
1 tomato

Tuna wrap with salad

140grams steak and steamed vegetables and salad for dinner

snack, one small chocolate, grapes 30 approx, 2 small plums

Thats with 100 - 160 km riding per week
Last edited by Apple on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm

See my problem is that I'm constantly hungry, 30-40 minutes after a large dinner, I'm back in front of the fridge thinking of what to eat again... and more often than not, an hour after that, I'm back at the fridge again, might as well just stay there.

I don't have any issues with it, as I'm not over weight, just a pain in the ass always having to eat.
Happy Days

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 pm

How much do you ride per week, livetoride
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Apple wrote:How much do you ride per week, livetoride
I'm averaging 370k now that I'm back at work. When I'm on holidays that goes up to about 450k per week.

Holly Molly Apple, I'd have died 7 times if I ate that little, I'd be dead on the floor with a "Please feed me" look on my face. Do you be full on that or still hungry....

BTW, awesome weight lose too, hat off to ya :D :D
Happy Days

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Livetoride wrote:
I'm averaging 370k now that I'm back at work. When I'm on holidays that goes up to about 450k per week.

Holly Molly Apple, I'd have died 7 times if I ate that little, I'd be dead on the floor with a "Please feed me" look on my face. Do you be full on that or still hungry....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks livetoride, I had to take control of myself, I want to be half the woman I am, It would be much easier to climb.
I have given up carbohydrates in the form of white bread, I have also stopped eating cheese, rice and pasta.
I try and keep my calorie intake less than 1400 per day, if I am not riding then I would eat 1200per day.
It really depends on how much training I do.
You do seem to ride alot so it is understandable that you are hungry, if you are burning more than your input then you need to eat.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:55 pm

182cms 72kgs 450kms per week and 2-3 5km runs per week

Breakfast – either cereal with light milk and berries, or, porridge with light milk and trail mix and berrie, or, my super health home made bread with real peanut butter and home made jam, and OJ

Mid morning snack – coffee, banana, fruit cake and some ham/protien

Lunch – either left overs, wholemeal pasta with tuna, or, kangaroo spag bowl with whole meal pasta (my original recipe) or 2 whole meal salad rolls

Afternoon snack – bananas and an apple and maybe a muffin

Dinner – see lunch and yogurt and berries and nuts

*****I am always eating

********oh and i go through about 1.5 home brand fruit cakes a week $3.5 each :)
when do we stop for coffee???

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Apple wrote:
Livetoride wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks livetoride, I had to take control of myself, I want to be half the woman I am, It would be much easier to climb.
Keep it up Apple at this rate you'll hit your target earlier than you thought and the sky will be the limit, Giddy up Apple :D
BarryTas wrote:182cms 72kgs 450kms per week and 2-3 5km runs per week

Breakfast – either cereal with light milk and berries, or, porridge with light milk and trail mix and berrie, or, my super health home made bread with real peanut butter and home made jam, and OJ

Mid morning snack – coffee, banana, fruit cake and some ham/protien

Lunch – either left overs, wholemeal pasta with tuna, or, kangaroo spag bowl with whole meal pasta (my original recipe) or 2 whole meal salad rolls

Afternoon snack – bananas and an apple and maybe a muffin

Dinner – see lunch and yogurt and berries and nuts

*****I am always eating

********oh and i go through about 1.5 home brand fruit cakes a week $3.5 each :)
Dude, are we related.... :shock: mind you, you eat healthier foods than me, which I know is my down fall, I need to look at a healthier diet me thinks.. :!:
Happy Days

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:17 pm

i to am always hungry - i treat good/real/healthy food as all you can eat food
when do we stop for coffee???

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Next time we are riding Barry, talk to me about healthy snack alternatives. I am struggling to drop these KGs.

My biggest weakness is when hungry I snack but on rubbish food.

This is what I am trying to maintain.
Breakfast:
Home made smoothy consists of milk, yoghurt, berries, honey dew (or pineapple), banana and protein powder
Coffee - Black (or maybe a dash of milk)

Morning tea:
Coffee - Black
Home made muffin - Flour-less recipe with Honey instead of sugar.

Lunch:
Wrap - mountain bread, ham, cheese, lettuce, pickle spread and mayo.

Afternoon tea:
Piece of fruit
Coffee - Black

Dinner:
Something from the CSIRO cook book. Normal serves.

After lunch and Dinner however is where I a can tend to lose it and get cravings and break. Usually destroying the chocolate machine or getting ice cream from the shop.

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 pm

370km/week!! You'd definitely need plenty of fuel for that...!! :shock:

I'm dropping weight at the moment - was 89kg on New Years Day, now just under 87kg. (I'm 174cm tall). Was low 80's a year or so ago, but am coming back from 10 months off the bike due to broken shoulder/arm.

Currently doing about 150km/week, and eating:
Breakfast - some plain Greek yoghurt and a low-sugar cereal (usually muesli or one of the Goddness Superfoods barley cereals)
Morning tea - Flat white, no sugar
Lunch - usually a ham, salad (lots of lettuce!), cheese sandwich on multigrain
Arvo tea - piece of fruit (usually a banana)
Dinner - varies - usually small plate of pasta (I'm Italian!), or meat and veges, or a stir-fry with some rice or noodles

I figure you can either train for weight-loss or performance, but not both. I'd like to up my mileage, but am holding off until mid-late February, when I'm closer to my weight goal (80kg).

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 pm

I ride between 550km a week to 700km. Usually weekends (7day week) are the big rides (around 200km+)

I found a good article by Alan Aargon and Lyle Mcdonald on Meal Timing, if you want to know more go have a read *Simply google Lyle Mcdonald or Alan on Meal Timing etc

For those who need some help if you want to Lose / Gain Weight here is some great info; also Apple - I do hope those "white" carbs are due to you being Gluten intolerant.

Basic day of food is usually; Breaky after my ride is usually 2 Cups of oats with 4 whole eggs, Glass of milk with Milo and some Fruit.

During work; I snack on Nuts/Trail mixes, Heaps of water, sometimes i'll cook Sweet Patato and Pumpkin the night before and eat it cold the next day (sooo good!!)

Dinner is usually; Chicken/Fish with stacks of Green veggies.

After dinner if Im still hungry is usually Special K with Ice cream :-)

Basic Terminology

1/ BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): This is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2/ NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over & it is the MOST important factor in your energy expenditure. It is what helps keep 'constitutionally lean' people LEAN (they fidget)!

3/ EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4/ TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5/ TEE (Total Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require - and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).

How much do you need?
There is therefore a multitude of things that impact a persons MAINTENANCE calorie requirements
- Age & sex (males generally need > females for any given age)
- Total weight & lean mass (more lean mass = more needed)
- Physiological status (eg: sick or injured, pregnant, growth and 'enhancement')
- Hormones (eg: thyroid hormone levels, growth hormone levels)
- Exercise level (more activity = more needed)
- Daily activity level (more activity = more needed)
- Diet (that is - macronutrient intake)

In order to calculate your requirements the most accurate measure is via Calorimetry [the measure of 'chemical reactions' in your body & the heat produced by these reactions], either directly (via placing a calorimeter where the heat you produce is measured) or indirectly (eg: HOOD studies where they monitor how much oxygen you use/ carbon dioxide and nitrogen you excrete over a given time). But although accurate they are completely impractical for most people & we mostly rely on pre-set formula t0 calculate our needs.

Estimating Requirements
The simplest method of estimating needs is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
- 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].

For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is even greater:
- 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
- 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]

There are then a number of other formula which calculate BMR.

1/ Harris-Benedict formula: Very inaccurate. It was derived from studies on LEAN, YOUNG, ACTIVE males MANY YEARS AGO (1919). Notorious for OVERESTIMATING requirements, especially in the overweight. IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DON'T USE IT!
MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

2/Mifflin-St Jeor: Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.
MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

You then multiply these by an 'activity variable' to give TEE. This Activity Factor[/u] is the cost of living and it is BASED ON MORE THAN JUST YOUR TRAINING. It also includes work/lifestyle, sport & a TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet). Average activity variables are:
1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

So to convert BMR to a TOTAL requirement: multiply the result of your BMR by the variable you fall into!
How Accurate are they?: Well, although they give rough ball-park figures, they are still 'guesstimations' and most people still OVERESTIMATE activity, UNDERESTIMATE bodyfat & end up eating TOO MUCH. So the aim is to use these as 'rough figures', monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks, & IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, you have likely found maintenance.

Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
You then need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals (eg: lose or gain mass). And instead of using 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day), this should be calculated on a % of your maintenance. Why? The effect of a given calorie amount on an individual is going to be markedly different based on their size/ total calorie intake. For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of the total cals, where 500 cals/ day from 3000 total intake is only 1/6th of the total. The results will therefore be markedly different on an individuals energy level & weight loss. So generally:
- To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% calories to the total above
- To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% calories from the total above
Then monitor your results and adjust as required.

Macronutrient NeedsOnce you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused but This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20') Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per LEAN MASS or TOTAL MASS. So to try to make it as simple as possible:

1. Protein: Believe it or not - Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue. In this, the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on most studies out suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS then the following protein intakes are sufficient:

STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
BUT they also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.

Regardless of this, the general 'bodybuilding' guidelines would be as follows:
- If you guess your bodyfat is AVERAGE = 1-1.25g per pound TOTAL weight
- If you KNOW your bodyfat = 1-1.5g per pound LEAN weight

If you are VERY LEAN or on a VERY LOW CALORIE INTAKE then protein should be higher:
- Average bodyfat, lower calorie intake = 1.25-1.5 per pound total mass
- Very lean, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 per pounds lean mass

If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT, VERY INACTIVE, or on a HIGH calorie diet then you can decrease BELOW the above levels if desired*= ~ 1 x LEAN mass to 0.8-1 x total weight in pounds

Anecdotally, most find the HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, and blood sugar control. So UNLESS you are specifically guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: Important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS, carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity).
For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so for 'general folk' to calculate your carbs you just calculate it from the calories left over from fats/ protein:
carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])
carbs in grams = above total/ 4

If you are an athlete - I would actually suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
highly active: 6.5 - 9 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am

Great read Addictr3 - very interesting stuff.

I know I'm taking a much simpler approach at the moment. My focus is on total calorie expenditure, and not worrying too much about the macronutrient balance. But as I sadi - my focus is on weight-loss rather than performance. I know that in a month or so when I'm closer to my goal, and I start to ramp up my mileage (currently only about 100-150km/week), that macronutrient balance will become appreciably more important...

Again, thanks. :D

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14 am

Livetoride wrote:I'm curious as to how much other cyclists eat and how often as my wife says I eat far too much for a normal person (not saying that I'm normal by any stretch of the imagination). Now, I'm 6ft 5in and weigh in at 87kilos...
If you are putting on weight but not looking to gain weight, then you are eating too much.
If you are putting on weight and is looking to gain weight, then you are eating just right.
If your weight is stable and you are happy with your present weight, then you are eating about right.
If you are losing weight but not looking to lose weight, then you are eating too little.
If you are losing weight and is looking to lose weight, then you are eating about right.

Maybe your wife has a different idea of what your weight should be! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am

sogood wrote:
Livetoride wrote:I'm curious as to how much other cyclists eat and how often as my wife says I eat far too much for a normal person (not saying that I'm normal by any stretch of the imagination). Now, I'm 6ft 5in and weigh in at 87kilos...
If you are putting on weight but not looking to gain weight, then you are eating too much.
If you are putting on weight and is looking to gain weight, then you are eating just right.
If your weight is stable and you are happy with your present weight, then you are eating about right.
If you are losing weight but not looking to lose weight, then you are eating too little.
If you are losing weight and is looking to lose weight, then you are eating about right.

Maybe your wife has a different idea of what your weight should be! :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thankfully she's happier with the weight that I am, she's just sick of the pantry & fridge being emptied so quickly... :D
Happy Days

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Livetoride wrote:Wow Parker that's a a strict diet you have there and wow x 100 for the MMA training, I take my hat off to ya.
I have 13.8kg's to lose, see here, I've already lost 3.4 this year and two before the end of last.

MMA Training is an awesome way to burn calories and introduce your muscles to something other than riding a bike, you will hurt and it's fantastic!

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Abby wrote:Great read Addictr3 - very interesting stuff.

I know I'm taking a much simpler approach at the moment. My focus is on total calorie expenditure, and not worrying too much about the macronutrient balance. But as I sadi - my focus is on weight-loss rather than performance. I know that in a month or so when I'm closer to my goal, and I start to ramp up my mileage (currently only about 100-150km/week), that macronutrient balance will become appreciably more important...

Again, thanks. :D

Cheers,
Abby

No problems. I think you would enjoy this

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo ... break.html
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:48 pm

At the moment, given my lower back niggles are limiting my riding a bit... too much and too often. <sigh>

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 pm

185cm 84kg, bodyfat around 19% and trying to lose 8kg.

BMR around 1650
+ 10% for approx thermic effect of food (energy to digest and absorb food)
+ 150 Cals a day for non exercise activity
Add 10 hrs/wk cycling at average 550 Cals/hr = 750 Cals / day

Total Av Daily Energy Expenditure = 2700 Cals

Since New Years, I am on a 1500 Cal diet.
Average around 500 Cals morning, afternoon, and evening.
I aim for 1.8g protein /kg bodyweight = 150 g /day

Morning- either of the following
- 2 weet bix, tspn of ground flax seed, half a cup of berries, 125 mls low fat milk
- bruschetta - 2 pieces of toast with cottage cheese, tomato, basil, a few drops of olive oil
- bacon and eggs - 75 g bacon, 1 egg, 2 cups of vegetables

M Tea - either
- 1 cup fruit, with either 1/2 cup yogurt or 15g of nuts
- 1x 35 plain muesli bar

Lunch - either
- 100 g can of tuna or 80g of cottage cheese, with several cups of salad and 1-2 slices of bread
- ham or cottage cheese, and salad sandwich
- 2x sushi rolls and a piece of fruit

A Tea
either of the M Tea choices

Dinner
3 cups of vege or salad and 1/2 cup of starch, with 100-150g lean flesh or 2/3 cup of legumes, or 100g atlantic 1-2x a week.

Evening Snack
if desired, fruit and yogurt

100 Discretionary Calories per day ( usually a skinny flat white after a morning ride, or 1 glass of wine or full strength stubbie or 30 grams of chocolate or a biscuit or small piece of cake, etc)
40-50 g of whey protein isolate a day