Pre/Post Nutrition - Cycling

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Pre/Post Nutrition - Cycling

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:12 pm

This topic always pops up between a group of mates, so was after what you do for PRE/POST Nutrition?

I think supplements are a waste of time :evil: , I mean, a good multi is always handy for backup; but walk into any Sports/Fitness shop and see all the products designed for that "Post workout Window" is just annoying. What happen to good old food?

Also, pre-workout supplements are big for Weight lifters, any cyclist use them?

Discuss!
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
Addictr3

by BNA » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

BNA

Re: Pre/Post Nutrition - Cycling

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Pasta the night before a race, Weetbix an hour or so before the start, a gel 10 minutes before the flag drops and that's it for pre- for me. Post ride, 600ml of skim milk and milo, plus a piece of fruit usually. The latter has the Joe Friel and Steve Hogg seal of approval. :mrgreen:

I donlt do the pasta for midweek training rides, ever, and I watch the carbs during the taper week - very easy to stack on a couple of kg if you're not careful.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:47 pm

trailgumby wrote:Pasta the night before a race, Weetbix an hour or so before the start, a gel 10 minutes before the flag drops and that's it for pre- for me. Post ride, 600ml of skim milk and milo, plus a piece of fruit usually. The latter has the Joe Friel and Steve Hogg seal of approval. :mrgreen:

I donlt do the pasta for midweek training rides, ever, and I watch the carbs during the taper week - very easy to stack on a couple of kg if you're not careful.

Wow, our post workout is pretty much the same. I always go for watermelon (on hot hot days) and milk/flavoured milk etc :-)

I dont eat much pasta (not really a fan) but usually have Oats for pre-workout, or just eat on the bike.
Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Some great info from nutritional expert Alan Aragon

The protocol I recommend currently is strikingly similar to the original, with a few VERY insignificant tweaks. Note that TBW = target bodyweight:

60-90 minutes preworkout, have a solid, balanced meal:
Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
Adding fat at this point is fine, use your discretion as long as it fits into your macro goals. Note that this meal is skipped if you train 1st thing in the morning.

[OR]

30-0 minutes preworkout – (and/or sipped throughout the workout), have a liquid or easily digested meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.25g/lb TBW
If you were going to train for close to or more than 2 hours continuously, it would definitely benefit you to have this extra preworkout meal either immediately prior to, or sipped during training. Keep the fats here incidental & not added if you’re prone to gastric distress during training.

Within 30 minutes postworkout, have either a liquid or solid meal:

Protein = 0.25g/lb TBW
Carbs = 0.25-0.5g/lb TBW, depending on how carb-restricted your diet is.
Amount of fat here doesn’t matter as long as your daily target is hit.

Post-postworkout is simply your next sheduled meal, whether it’s 1, 2, or 3 hrs later simply doesn’t matter – especially if your immediate postworkout meal was designed as above.

NOTE: The small differences are mainly geared toward simplifying the guidelines. The rest of the recommendations about food types are pretty much the same. Also note that I no longer give a damn about GI, it doesn’t really make a difference one way or another. If you want high GI carbs pre and/or during training, go for it. As time has passed, GI has proven itself to be a worthless, irrelevant index. Insulinogenesis is a separate issue, and slight elevations during & postworkout is a great idea. This accomplished by both food type & food amount, the latter being more important. To boot, the necessary insulin elevations for maximal net gains in protein balance are easily met without specific attempts at spiking it up. There’s obviously a lot more to this, but that’s the important basics. The rest is fringe.

Glycemic Index (GI) has gotten a lot of attention over the past few years – white bread is nutritionally worse than wheat bread, stay away from pasta, etc – and Alan rightfully dismisses it as bunk. It makes a difference in diseased/afflicted populations, but it is all but irrelevant for the average human. People love to focus on “fringe” issues, because it makes them feel intellectually superior – yet they don’t even focus on the basics. As a good friend of mine always says, “Focus on what matters.” And what matters in nutrition for athletes is:
1.Set target calories.
2.Set target protein (1.0-1.5g/lb TBW).

Everything else is simply not relevant until you get those basics down and comply with them for a long period of time.
Addictr3

Return to Cycling Health