Asthma...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
twizzle

Re: Asthma...

Postby twizzle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 am

Still coughing... but a lot better than I was on Monday. I was going to head off to the quack to see if I needed to go on steroids again, but I think I will be able to skip that step.

The weird thing is that the trigger event was on Saturday, but the effects didn't really hit until Monday. I didn't have any shots in the middle of the night, I didn't start coughing until I walked out into the cold this morning and got on the bike.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:34 pm

thanks Huff! (good name! given the context of this thread) :lol: I've always had atrovent only when i get a "sleepover" in hospital. next time i'm there i'll see if something can change.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Another class of drugs useful in exercise induced asthma are the leukotriene antagonists... Montelukast and !!! Spammer !!! are some of the names they go by... If u haven't tried them maybe discuss it with your GP/resp physician

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leukotri ... #section_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/exerci ... lated_link" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19180262/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Read the "uptodate" article. Well, mine doesn't resolve after 60 minutes. :(
I generate a lot of clear phlegm as well as being wheezy and coughing.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:26 pm

twizzle wrote:Read the "uptodate" article. Well, mine doesn't resolve after 60 minutes. :(
I generate a lot of clear phlegm as well as being wheezy and coughing.
My trigger is large minute ventilation of cold winter air into warm lungs. I then get audible wheeze, and interscapular back pain, along with mild SOB. It never usually stops the activity but certainly limits my output. Wheeze mainly settles on completion of exercise, but cough and phlegm develop usually that night, and persists usually for a few days. It's course isn't altered by inhaled bronchodilators or steroids in anyway.

Anyway, I've gotten u a little off track, given you appear to have had a viral URTI trigger to yr asthma which is a different kettle of fish altogether...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Not this time. Pure and simple exercise, two shots of vent plain before starting. I'd had a few bouts of asthma lasting a couple of hours before the month-long virus-triggered incident, this is the first time it's been persistent when initiated from exercise. Although I did do a proper job of the exercise - 500m before the line I could taste blood and my throat was burning.

Sent from my iThingy...