Energy Drinks & Blood Pressure

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:29 pm

My employer is huge on health after our purchasing officer died suddenly from an undiagnosed condition. Throws on a free, yes free, personal trainer and provides a gym. We also have access to a bulk billing doctor who visits once a week.

I digress. Today in the smoko room there was a nurse who took blood pressure. She used the automatic type of sphygmomanometer (I used to use the manual one back in the day but that’s because I rocked 8) )

Mine was 161/85 :shock:

I was seriously upset at this but I thought back. At 8.30am I had a Mother energy drink. The BP test was taken at 12.

So...... was it the energy drink or am I in serious trouble :?:

:(
2012 Oppy A4

DaveOZ

Re: Energy Drinks & Blood Pressure

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 pm

Was it checked again?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:35 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Was it checked again?

Nope. Just the one test. I wasn’t stressed as Fridays for me are cruisy and I was just going to eat my lunch then head off home (early mark)
2012 Oppy A4

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Monitor it regularly for a week or so. It's worth buying the kit to do it, whether sphyg and steth, or something automatic.
If we all were as aware of our BP as cleaning our bums, we'd live longer healthier lives.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:45 pm

PawPaw wrote:Monitor it regularly for a week or so. It's worth buying the kit to do it, whether sphyg and steth, or something automatic.
If we all were as aware of our BP as cleaning our bums, we'd live longer healthier lives.
Yup. Doesn't mean a lot without some regular monitoring - like heart rates etc; BP fluctuates. I'd be more worried about the sugar content in those drinks than the caffeine etc...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Mother gives me a monster headache and a feeling of nausea and wanting to gag - classic caffeine overdose symptoms for me.

Not helped by the overly sweet noxious taste. I'm amazed they're allowed to sell that stuff, frankly. Occasionally I use energy drinks when driving up the coast if it's of an evening. Once with Mother was enough. The stories my son tells me of some of the Narraweena houso kids in Year 9 and below getting hopped up on multiple cans of that stuff before they come to school are hair-raising.

Doesn't surprise me you had a blood pressure side-effect.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Horrible stuff all of them. I'm not fond of the way they exploded onto the market with little or no examination of the effects of their combined active ingredients either.
If a caffeine hit is needed, go to your local barista. That way what you drink won't taste like perfumed toilet cleaner.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

iMad

Postby iMad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I digress. Today in the smoko room there was a nurse who took blood pressure. She used the automatic type of sphygmomanometer (I used to use the manual one back in the day but that’s because I rocked 8) )

Mine was 161/85 :shock:

I was seriously upset at this but I thought back. At 8.30am I had a Mother energy drink. The BP test was taken at 12.

So...... was it the energy drink or am I in serious trouble :?:

:(
Could it be 'white coat syndrome?'
There are only two types of cyclist.
Those that have crashed and those that are about to.

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Yep it could be white coat fever...I have it too...I bought a machine to monitor my BP..and prove to the DR my BP was OK..might be worthwhile renting one for a while. Just make sure you read the blurb that comes with it..don't do it after a meal or cuppa...or you might give yourself a stroke.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:11 pm

That's seriously high blood pressure. Don't clutch at straws like caffeine in energy drinks.

Get to your GP, and have him check it again (in both arms).

You haven't said anything about what age, weight or other risk factors you might have. But
that kind of blood pressure reading is not one that you should dismiss without further
investigation regardless of other risk factors.

And in the meantime, switch to water - and lots of it. Dehydration, which is aggravated by
caffeine, is the last thing you need if your blood pressure is high.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:16 pm

wombatK wrote:That's seriously high blood pressure. Don't clutch at straws like caffeine in energy drinks.

Get to your GP, and have him check it again (in both arms).

You haven't said anything about what age, weight or other risk factors you might have. But
that kind of blood pressure reading is not one that you should dismiss without further
investigation regardless of other risk factors.

And in the meantime, switch to water - and lots of it. Dehydration, which is aggravated by

38 years old
175cm tall
98kg (fluctuates)

Uncle died from a heart attack but he was a heavy drinker & smoker.

I am taking this very seriously. :(
2012 Oppy A4

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 pm

wombatK wrote:Dehydration, which is aggravated by
Actually, fluid in coffee outdoes the diuretic effect... but caffeine doesn't help blood pressure.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 pm

twizzle wrote:Actually, fluid in coffee outdoes the diuretic effect... but caffeine doesn't help blood pressure.
Really? I was led to believe that the caffeine in a typical espresso had about a 1.5/1 effect on hydration. No, I can't remember where I read it :oops:

Live and learn...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 pm

KonaCommuter wrote: 38 years old
175cm tall
98kg (fluctuates)
(
That's a BMI of 32, which puts you firmly in the obese range. Even without
smoking, that's not at all good. You're carrying around an extra 25 kg or so
- and that's a bad thing to do for even one or two years. At a guess, I'll
bet you've been carrying it for nearly a decade or more.

You should get the GP to do a fasting blood glucose blood test with full
LDL/HDL etc.,. and liver/kidney function tests to see if there is any other damage.
He/she will probably want to do this anyway if he finds your BP as high as this.

The good news is that it might not be too late to undo the damage. Workmate
was in a similar situation to you, and has managed to get off the blood pressure
meds etc.,. and lower his blood glucose levels (pre-diabetes insulin resistance)
after losing 20 kgs.

There's a fair chance the doc will put you on blood pressure reducing meds,
but a diet and exercise program is a better way to lose the blood pressure
problems.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

kellyu

Postby kellyu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 pm

I had tried a couple of the energy drinks just after RedBull had been released, but stopped drinking any of them when one gave me heart palpitations.

I wasn't doing anything much, just sitting in a very boring 3 hour lecture, so at break I went to the cafe next door. They had one called Black Stallion, so I took it back into the classroom, and sipped away at it. Two hours later my heart started thumping like a Samba band. No more energy drinks, no more heart palpitations.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm

kellyu wrote:They had one called Black Stallion, so I took it back into the classroom, and sipped away at it. Two hours later my heart started thumping like a Samba band. No more energy drinks, no more heart palpitations.
I've heard similar reported from a couple of independent sources. I always check the caffeine content. If it's not noted, it's not bought.

Semar

Postby Semar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:23 am

Some of us inherited elevated BP. :roll: I'm 187 cm, 80 kg, 51 and riding fit and am just above the 'normal'.

I take the anti-hypertension drugs to keep my blood vessels in good shape for a longer life than my father; 59 years. :(
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

triangle

Postby triangle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:44 am

KonaCommuter wrote:
wombatK wrote:I am taking this very seriously. :(
It is good to take this very seriously but please don't get too worried. Most cases of high BP are essential (in fact, 95%) (ie. have no known underlying medical cause) and typically respond very well to changed lifestyle and/or medication. In much of the remaining cases (non-essential) the cause can usually be determined and addressed or managed, too. It might be caused by a single narrowed renal artery, for example, something fixed in 40 minutes with a stent procedure. The fact is that high BP is almost always manageable so, if you do have it, there will almost certainly be a way to get it back to healthy levels. Just monitor it (I do - I have an Omron machine at home - I have had very high BP since I was about 35 years old) and engage with your doctor if it is regularly high. Just as people weigh themselves regularly, they should also check their BP. It is just as easy and arguably more important.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:03 am

Kona, you might consider seeing a dietitian. All your riding won't reverse the effects of a poor diet.
I've seen several over the last 25 years, and in addition to my own reading, I feel has kept me off BP meds.

When you are on the diet, it's a good habit to weigh yourself and take waist circumference on arising, straight after emptying bowels and bladder. You could also take your BP before getting out of bed, and record both on a chart. You'll get a real sense of empowerment if you are following the diet well.
My readout this morning was 117/76 HR 42.

edit
and just took it again and 111/71 HR 45
I attribute this around 70:30 to diet:exercise.

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:13 am

I'm certain that these energery drinks will be the next generations major health concern like smoking. There a numerous people who consume 4+ cans per day long term and is common amongst long haul interstate transport drivers. The strain they put on the liver as they try and process the toxins. the sugar content raises concerns of type 2 diabetes. increase heart strain, BP and often consumed by high risk canditates with weight issues or young children. death in a can......

excercise and a healthy diet in combination is a very sucessful way at reducing BP, weight and increase overall fitness.

iMad

Postby iMad » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:01 pm

nayfen wrote:I'm certain that these energery drinks will be the next generations major health concern like smoking. There a numerous people who consume 4+ cans per day long term and is common amongst long haul interstate transport drivers. The strain they put on the liver as they try and process the toxins. the sugar content raises concerns of type 2 diabetes. increase heart strain, BP and often consumed by high risk canditates with weight issues or young children. death in a can......

excercise and a healthy diet in combination is a very sucessful way at reducing BP, weight and increase overall fitness.
Here, Here!
I ride as regularly as I can now. Unfortunately this crap weather we're experiencing in SE QLD over the past few months is taking it's toll on my riding a bit but I'm doing a 27km circuit as often as I can. Funny though, I don't mind going out and getting caught in the rain but I hate the idea of starting out in the rain. :?

Anyway, there's no doubt weight loss and exercise work a treat. I have known this for many years of course but paid scant attention to it.
Now, 4 months after getting back into cycling, I'm 22kg lighter and even though I've been on reasonably high dose of Blood Pressure medication for many years, I am now able to control it without any drugs.
Another benefit is that my total cholesterol is down from 4.6 to 3.4.
I'm a new man. (if only I could convince my wife of that :lol: )

By the way, I drink 2 double shot espresso coffees each morning and according to my BP monitoring, it does have a short term effect of raising it slightly.

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Good work on the weight loss. Keep it up!

To lose weight faster, reduce your intake of caffeine(that dosen't say stop drinking coffee). Caffeine leads to an increase of insulin in your body which retards the burning of your stored fat. This is a simple chemical reaction in your body that you can change. Reduce your caffeine intake by 50% to 2 x single shot coffees a day and see what happens.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Just saw the company doctor.

BP 133/87
RHR 71

He said that he was happy with that. I'm at work so I'll marry that up with a little research. But yeah, better than 161/85
2012 Oppy A4

iMad

Postby iMad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Just saw the company doctor.

BP 133/87
RHR 71

He said that he was happy with that. I'm at work so I'll marry that up with a little research. But yeah, better than 161/85
Doctors used to say that Diastolic HR was the most important of the two readings. That's changed now and the emphasis is on the Systolic reading (the first reading).
So 161 was very high by today's standards. Most would agree that a reading under 120 over 80 is desirable. especially at your age.
I'd strongly recommend you invest in an Omron BP machine to monitor your BP at home. It could save your life.
I had high BP for some years before I realised and I now have a heart murmer due to an enlarged heart valve.

iMad

Postby iMad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm

nayfen wrote:Good work on the weight loss. Keep it up!

To lose weight faster, reduce your intake of caffeine(that dosen't say stop drinking coffee). Caffeine leads to an increase of insulin in your body which retards the burning of your stored fat. This is a simple chemical reaction in your body that you can change. Reduce your caffeine intake by 50% to 2 x single shot coffees a day and see what happens.
Whew. In an attempt to get my health back on track I've either cut out completely, or cut back on many things that I had enjoyed for many years.
Wine - GONE (almost)
Beer - GONE
I appreciate your comment and I'm sure a caffeine reduction would help my blood pressure too but to reduce my enjoyable (strong) flat whites of a morning would be a bridge too far. :P