Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jamesn184
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:19 pm

I bought my first road bike yesterday and seem to be struggling a lot.
As I'm used to riding in a upright where my breathing is spot on.. Now with the change in position my breathing is out of wack.
So has anyone got some tips?
I had the bike fitted for "touring" so roughly sitting at a 45 degree angle


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vtmn2l
Image

User avatar
Kenzo
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW
Contact:

Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby Kenzo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:24 pm

What width handlebars are fitted and would you consider yourself to be broad shouldered?

jamesn184
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 am

I have broad shoulders, weigh 125 ish kg. handle bar that came with my trek 3.1 are about 47cm
Image

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 5784
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 am

It will take a few ride to accustom your body to the new position. :idea:

Do you ride with your arms locked in straight or slightly bent out?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

jamesn184
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 am

I bend my elbows pointing down a little
Image

User avatar
Kenzo
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW
Contact:

Re: Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby Kenzo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 am

jamesn184 wrote:I have broad shoulders, weigh 125 ish kg. handle bar that came with my trek 3.1 are about 47cm

Thanks James - I was checking to see if your handlebar width was restricting your chest.
It does not sound like this is the case.

Other than 'getting used to it'... are you riding with a backpack/camelbak? If so, can you loosen the shoulder and chest straps?

jamesn184
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

I was back in the bike shop today to get my cassette tightened and it turns out my hands were in the wrong position which may not of helped.
Ill try to loosen the chest strap on my bag to see if that helps
Image

User avatar
Mrfenejeans
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Kingsley

Re: Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:27 am

jamesn184 wrote:...it turns out my hands were in the wrong position which may not of helped.



What position were your hands in to be in the wrong position???.

Over my rides ill change my hand positions frequently over about 4-5 different places on the bars and I've never felt that anyone position causes me pain(other than being in the drops too long) or changes my breathing to anything noticeably different. In my limited experience I've found altering hand position dependent on what you are doing, especially climbing a great aid in performance. Its also good to always try and keep your arms and hands relaxed.
Image
Image

jamesn184
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Transition from Mtb to Road bike

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:...it turns out my hands were in the wrong position which may not of helped.



What position were your hands in to be in the wrong position???.

Over my rides ill change my hand positions frequently over about 4-5 different places on the bars and I've never felt that anyone position causes me pain(other than being in the drops too long) or changes my breathing to anything noticeably different. In my limited experience I've found altering hand position dependent on what you are doing, especially climbing a great aid in performance. Its also good to always try and keep your arms and hands relaxed.


I had my hands were in the drop position
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users