Forearm cramps.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Oh Wheely

Forearm cramps.

Postby Oh Wheely » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Sometimes I get cramps in my forewarms SO bad, that the hand is being pulled into between the forearm bones - not splitting the joint.

I am just wondering - is that due to a lack of building up endurance and spending time on the machine?

I used to ride everywhere, and never hand any problems, and now I am a semi frequent rider and the cramping has become a real problem.

Any ideas?

RonK

Forearm cramps.

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Arm pump - you may be gripping the bars too tightly.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

G-Ride

Re: Forearm cramps.

Postby G-Ride » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Whats your fore - aft balance like? Could be your weight is too far forward and your arms are holding you up and not your core muscles. Moving your saddle back will lighten the load on your arms. As a guide there should be almost no load on your arms at all in normal riding.

Something to look at especially if its both arms to an equal extent.

G.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 pm

RonK wrote:Arm pump - you may be gripping the bars too tightly.
+1 That was the first thought to mind for me.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 pm

G-Ride wrote:Whats your fore - aft balance like? Could be your weight is too far forward and your arms are holding you up and not your core muscles. Moving your saddle back will lighten the load on your arms. As a guide there should be almost no load on your arms at all in normal riding.

Something to look at especially if its both arms to an equal extent.

G.

I doubt it would be this because once i had a bike that was too big for me and i leant heavily on my handlebars a lot. I was on tour also so i did it for hours a day. I never got arm cramps but i did get terrible numbness problems. I did get calf cramps in the night and finally worked that out to be lack of salt and related dehydration.

Read the other cramp thread about salt intake. I am not sure its this cause i haven't heard of cramping in the arms before but it could be that in combination with what the other guy suggests about gripping the handlebars too hard. I think cramps occur in a place where the muscles have been working hard so it does suggest that you are overworking your arms.