Doctor Surgeries - With Bike Stands

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
dynamictiger

Doctor Surgeries - With Bike Stands

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:11 am

Hi

The other day I rode over to see my Doctor. Usually I don't ride as I am usually on my way to work. However on this day I had the day off so off I rode.

When I got there I was more than a little surprised to find there was no facility to safely look my bike. I ended up traipsing through a garden to lock to a light pole.

It seems a no brainer to me that medical facilities should have facilities for bikes. After all the Doctor is usually the one encouraging the general community to get more active etc.

gorilla monsoon

Re: Doctor Surgeries - With Bike Stands

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 pm

So write a letter to the doctor or practice manager.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't understand your gripe. You had to go to the doctor, chose to ride, locked up your bike, saw the doctor... Whats the problem?
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Crittski wrote:I don't understand your gripe. You had to go to the doctor, chose to ride, locked up your bike, saw the doctor... Whats the problem?
not a gripe...interesting observation thats all

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:22 pm

if half the people that go to any doctor are fat, sick or not well, most of em won't ride anway.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Medical Centres have to comply with a myriad of regulations imposed by governments and other regulatory agencies.

However i doubt that there is any requirement for bicycle parking facilities other than what is required of a shopping centre etc.

On a more major note there are massive hospitals that appear to have absent or inadequate bicycle parking facilities.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 1&start=25

To be honest i went to dentist the other day and locked bike up on a balcony outside and took the front wheel into the room with me ....

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:35 pm

My doctor has a car park behind the building, and the building has a verandah so I can use the support posts. There's also a bike rack at the shopping centre across the road, and the nearby LBS don't mind if I leave my bike there (a small organic grocery also let me leave it in their shed if needed). The latter two mean I can leave everything including my helmet with my bike... I feel strange seeing the doctor and claiming to be unwell when I have just ridden (if I used the bus service I'd risk having up to a two hour wait for a bus).

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:17 am

Kraeg wrote:My doctor has a car park behind the building, and the building has a verandah so I can use the support posts. There's also a bike rack at the shopping centre across the road, and the nearby LBS don't mind if I leave my bike there (a small organic grocery also let me leave it in their shed if needed). The latter two mean I can leave everything including my helmet with my bike... I feel strange seeing the doctor and claiming to be unwell when I have just ridden (if I used the bus service I'd risk having up to a two hour wait for a bus).
Not everyone goes the doctor when they are 'unwell' in the sense you mean. Some of us go reasonably regularly for wellness consultations.

ekib

Postby ekib » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Well I have a similar story.
I was visiting a brother who was in the Prince Charles Hospital in Brisbane recently. Whilst there I was reading some of the Qld health brochures. One told me to eat 5 veges and 2 fruits each day and another told me to get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.
Now this is a major hospital that specializes in heart surgery.

I wanted to park my bicycle there but couldn't find the bike parking.

Want to guess how many bicycle parks are available for member of the public?
Yes you got it ....... 0, zero, nada, zippo. Oh the irony !
I did ask the hospital and they are thinking about it for the future.

Ekib.
The End.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:20 pm

ekib wrote:Well I have a similar story.
I was visiting a brother who was in the Prince Charles Hospital in Brisbane recently. Whilst there I was reading some of the Qld health brochures. One told me to eat 5 veges and 2 fruits each day and another told me to get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.
Now this is a major hospital that specializes in heart surgery.

I wanted to park my bicycle there but couldn't find the bike parking.

Want to guess how many bicycle parks are available for member of the public?
Yes you got it ....... 0, zero, nada, zippo. Oh the irony !
I did ask the hospital and they are thinking about it for the future.

Ekib.
This is more my point. These health professionals are all out there selling the 30 minutes a day exercise and here is a perfect excuse to ride your bike and no facilities for parking it??

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:12 pm

dynamic tiger, what is a wellness consultation. What does it involve exactly. I hope its not on medicare. Its sounds a bit like pampering.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:28 am

Meditator wrote:dynamic tiger, what is a wellness consultation. What does it involve exactly. I hope its not on medicare. Its sounds a bit like pampering.
Obviously you are not on pills for the rest of your life.

You need to go and see the doctor to get your script refilled. In the past I used to call up and pay a few dollars. Now the scripts are longer 6 months each. So I like to go and see him to get checked out even though I don't feel unwell as such. Check the scripts don't need changing, see if its time for more bloods etc.

I call it wellness consultation. That is I go and see the Doctor when I don't necessarily feel unwell but have things I need his help with, but maybe unwell without knowing it.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 am

dynamictiger wrote:
Meditator wrote:dynamic tiger, what is a wellness consultation. What does it involve exactly. I hope its not on medicare. Its sounds a bit like pampering.

You need to go and see the doctor to get your script refilled. In the past I used to call up and pay a few dollars. Now the scripts are longer 6 months each. So I like to go and see him to get checked out even though I don't feel unwell as such. Check the scripts don't need changing, see if its time for more bloods etc.

I call it wellness consultation. That is I go and see the Doctor when I don't necessarily feel unwell but have things I need his help with, but maybe unwell without knowing it.
Preventive maintenance is cheaper all round and improves quality of life.

To wit:
  • Mammogram
  • Prostate examination
  • Cardiac testing (ECG etc)
  • Pap smear
  • Liver function testing when on anti-fungals
Need i go on?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Actually i am (two types) but i have not heard of the term wellness consultation and i associate the word wellness with the spa industry - you know massages, hot stones and acupuncture and the like.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:50 pm

Meditator wrote:
Actually i am (two types) but i have not heard of the term wellness consultation and i associate the word wellness with the spa industry - you know massages, hot stones and acupuncture and the like.

Mmmmm.....massage. Do you prefer your masseusse to go barefoto on your back or wear stilettos? It's a personal thing, I think. I prefer barefoot.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

biftek

Postby biftek » Tue May 01, 2012 4:55 am

the doctor that i goto has a bike rack up the front , haven't had a need to see the doc in years , but i go every couple weeks to pick prescriptions for my old man, the receptionist must gossip when i leave , a healthy looking young person on a bike picking up a swarm of scripts that cover all sorts of pills

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue May 01, 2012 10:38 am

elantra wrote:Medical Centres have to comply with a myriad of regulations imposed by governments and other regulatory agencies.

However i doubt that there is any requirement for bicycle parking facilities other than what is required of a shopping centre etc.

On a more major note there are massive hospitals that appear to have absent or inadequate bicycle parking facilities.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 1&start=25

To be honest i went to dentist the other day and locked bike up on a balcony outside and took the front wheel into the room with me ....

seriously. i suspect the majority of people attending medical centres and hospitals are doing so because they may be unwell or worse. Generally speaking, it would be reasonable 'town planning' to assume the majority of the users wouldnt be cycling there....

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Tue May 01, 2012 3:19 pm

I went to the docs yesterday for a script (regular medication) but had to try another surgery as my old one shut down (something I said?). The new one is in Dewar St Morley,its one of those walk in and be seen clinics with physio, dierician, x-ray etc..in one spot...to my amazement they had heaps of car parking and a large bike rack area not far from the door..my gosh how considerate, all health care disiplines and bike parking in one spot.