Knee pain ( left )

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Knee pain ( left )

Postby grandpasmurf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 pm

I have just started riding my bike again!!! Can't keep away for too long.
But anyway I have raised my seat about 1 cm & now I am developing pain behind my left kneecap. This happens sometimes when I am seated
& pedalling uphill. But mostly it happens when I get out of the saddle on an uphill. As soon as I try to put some power, well a little bit, I get
this moderate pain behind my left kneecap. My knee is a bit touchy after a ride when I have cooled down. I just had around 3 weeks off the
bike & first ride the paid was there again. There is no pain in my right knee. :(

Any suggestions? Are there any good physiotherapists in western Sydney who know how to deal with cyclists injuries?

Thanks,
Grandpasmurf
grandpasmurf

by BNA » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 am

BNA

Re: Knee pain ( left )

Postby G-Ride » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 am

Combination of two things spring to mind -

1. You just started riding again
2. Your seat is too high.

Rest, ice and elevation for the knee. Put your seat back down 1.5cm and when the knee has settled start again gently. Having a seat a touch too low is far less damaging than one a tad too high.

If it does continue yes look for medical advice.

G.
G-Ride

Postby coffeeandwine » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 am

Knee pain has come up in a previous thread with some good suggestions.

It would be worth getting your bike fit checked, including position of feet on pedals/cleats on shoes. IMO seat too low is more often a problem than seat too high (the forces on the kneecap are greater with more bend in the knee; things get worse if you are doing lots of hills or low gear work).

While your knee is recovering, try and avoid hard hills and choose an easier gear that lets you pedal faster - thus reducing the forces on the kneecap.

My physio gave me some simple exercises that really helped. I gathered this sort of problem was pretty common.

Good luck with fixing it, really frustrating when you have to get off the bike again.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
coffeeandwine

Postby twizzle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 am

Doctor -> MRI... see what it shows. Hopefully, just inflammation of the cartliage... but if there is a real issue then continuing to ride will just make the damage worse.

My mother has just had a partial knee replacement - kneecap and groove groove worn out. Too much hiking with heavy packs when she was young. And I have defects in the cartliage in my right kneecap/groove due to an indoor soccer injury from years ago.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Return to Cycling Health