Lower Back Pain

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Lower Back Pain

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi all,

I have had this lower back pain ever since I started riding about 6 years ago. It is only now it has really started to interfere as my racing is starting get more serious. I have found it only occurs on harder rides, when im under pressure when riding in the hills or racing. However I have noticed when it starts I can cope with it but it eventually becomes a really strong throbbing pain and I need to stop. When on training rides I can stop and take a break and the pain goes away and usually doesn't come back. It is only recently when I have started doing bigger races (100km+) where you are constantly under pressure and unable to stop that it really effects my performance. Now im no old guy, im only 20. I have had a bike fit and feel great on the bike and I have been told that it can be to do with tensing the arms too much, but even if I try to relax whilst riding it doesn't go away. I thought it might be to do with weaker lower back muscles? (im your typical cyclist very little upper body strength :P )

I was hoping some of you guys might be able to shed some light on the area?
Cheers, OJ
OrangeJuiceMan

by BNA » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 pm

BNA

Re: Lower Back Pain

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Sounds like you need to develop your core strength. Find a personal trainer and dorms some time in the gym.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Revend » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey friends. I have lower back pain issue from last week. I can't sit properly and feel pain. Is it a serious problem? Kindly give me some tips to get rid of this back pain. What should i do for this pain. Reply must. thanks in advance.
Revend

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Revend wrote:What should i do for this pain.

1: See a sports medicine doctor.
2: Do what he says
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Return to Cycling Health