Ball of foot uncomfortable day after ride - cleat position?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Mr

Ball of foot uncomfortable day after ride - cleat position?

Postby Mr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi all, this is my first post.

I've been riding a carbon road bike since April this year, and have built up from short 30km rides up to 220km per week. On the weekday mornings I get about 50kms in, and on the weekend usually at least an 80km ride with another shorter one. A few years back I used to ride a mountain bike on decent length road rides (90kms).

I've recently (in the last 3-4 weeks) got better at charging up hills, and I ride in the big cog, out of the saddle and really using the pull for power.

But Thursday last week I noticed a bit of discomfort in the ball of my right foot. I had ridden 50kms that morning, and 50kms the morning prior. I played soccer on it on the Thursday night, it was a bit tender afterwards and a touch ginger on Friday - but by Saturday it was fine and I did a decent speed for 80kms, and on Sunday I did another 40kms mostly uphill.

I did another 50kms yesterday (was pretty fast) and the same discomfort is back this morning - and so I didn't ride today to give it a break. In all the sports I've done this pain/discomfort is a new one.

I'm wondering if it could be linked to my cleat position. Any suggestions?

Addictr3

Re: Ball of foot uncomfortable day after ride - cleat positi

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 pm

How tall are you? and how long are your crank arms? Do you ride toe down?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Mr

Postby Mr » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm 184cm and the crank is Shimano 105 5700L = 172.5mm

I try to ride with my heals down but it is hard to be consistent, and my pedals are more generally neutral. When I ride uphill my pedal moves from neutral (flat) - and I pull up lifting my heal, rather than push down. I favour my right leg and that is the foot in discomfort.

I had it x-rayed on the weekend, no stress fracture.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Could be many things related to the following:
- sesamoid bone
- bursa
- nerve
- tendon
- periosteum
- osteophyte
- systemic - calcium pyrophosphate deposition diseases

- too rapid an increase in riding intensity
- too rapid a change in riding style (in vs out of saddle)
- worn cleats
- worn orthotics
etc

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:51 am

Mr wrote:I'm 184cm and the crank is Shimano 105 5700L = 172.5mm

I try to ride with my heals down but it is hard to be consistent, and my pedals are more generally neutral. When I ride uphill my pedal moves from neutral (flat) - and I pull up lifting my heal, rather than push down. I favour my right leg and that is the foot in discomfort.

OK I would try ever so slightly moving the cleat just behind the ball of your foot, may take a few times to get right, I know for me, my left foot cleat is a little bit behind and my right foot I like to have just on the ball of my foot,

Also how is your right calf, do you stretch a lot? if you right calf is quite tight, this could also cause your foot to not align correctly thus pushing your hips out. not to over complicate things but I would start with moving the cleat a touch back, ride and adjust etc.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Mr

Postby Mr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Addictr3 wrote:
Mr wrote:I'm 184cm and the crank is Shimano 105 5700L = 172.5mm

OK I would try ever so slightly moving the cleat just behind the ball of your foot, may take a few times to get right, I know for me, my left foot cleat is a little bit behind and my right foot I like to have just on the ball of my foot,

Also how is your right calf, do you stretch a lot? if you right calf is quite tight, this could also cause your foot to not align correctly thus pushing your hips out. not to over complicate things but I would start with moving the cleat a touch back, ride and adjust etc.

Thanks for the idea and also to PawPaw for responsing.

Apologies - I realise that I typed heal instead of heel. Must have been something on my mind.

Got back on the bike this morning for 45kms, not strenuous. Feels good so far.