Any vegans here?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Serve the rice, dahl and pappadums. Everyone will love it. Beginning to end in about 45 minutes. Serves 2 adults, 4 kids (one of whom eats more than I do), + lunch the next day.


We ate your dahl recipe for dinner last night, it was very nice :D and I cleaned up the left overs for lunch at work. Thanks for posting it.

Yes, thanks for posting this, not a vegan, but I do love dahl, rice and pappadums... will make this on the weekend :)
Parker
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

by BNA » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

BNA
 

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

shann wrote:I've been vegan for about 10 years, and supplement with iron tablets when necessary.

I am possibly the world's fattest vegan (partially due to thyroid issues, partially due to desserts), so if you fall off the health bandwagon and need some recipes for cakes, I'm your woman.


Pfft...I didn't get the monicker BigFriendlyVegan because I was tall. Took me two years of regular to get to something approaching a normal weight. Do you use something weird as an egg replacer? We use egg-like powder when we need a binding agent, as you do in cakes. My wife's cakes are always great. This week is local council election week, so she'll be baking for the school stall. She always makes vegan cakes, which I have to sample for quality control reasons, of course.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm

I used to do a similar dahl to friendly's.....but added coconut cream and sultanas.

lentil stew and mashed purple and sweet potato for me tonight. yum. To thicken the stew up a bit I put some TVP vege protein and soy protein powder in.
The stew was ultra healthy with beetroot greens, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots in it....very more-ish.

a recent study found the purple potato is a more powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Wow, once I get to my goal weight, I look forward to vegan cake....as a rare treat of course.

How's this for a healthy chocolate pudding:
blend cocoa powder, pitted dates, frozen cherries (or berries), silken tofu.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby death valley 69 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:33 pm

PawPaw wrote:
death valley 69 wrote:Vegan; guilty as charged. Supplement with B12 , DHA omega and Iron if you're a female. :)


Hi dv.....how long have you been vegan for?
nice supps.
From my reading I understand these are the main things to be mindful of:

essential supplement : b12
secondary : iodine, omega 3 (dha), vit.d, iron, calcium
tertiary : zinc, choline

JohnJoyner, I agree a 30 day challenge is a brilliant idea. I wish you well on your journey.
The positive thing about all this is you're bound to learn a lot of good stuff, that you'll never forget, even unto your last meal.

PawPaw, I've been a vegan since the mid 90's and use Deva Multivitamin and DHA .They also make a good Cal/Mag if your after that. I buy my stuff from i herb (USA) .
death valley 69
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: South Coast SA

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks DV. Would you mind telling us a bit about your 17 vegan years?
Do you feel happier, healthier, stronger, and have more endurance than before?

I've been trying to cut fat from around 20 to 10% for a while now, so as to improve my power/wt ratio for climbing; and thought I'd give a vegan diet a go at it.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 pm

User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:07 pm



I heard that one of his former team mates saw him eating bacon once and he also organised bbqs for US Postal. There's no "proof", other than hearsay, but I don't think he's a vegan.

We need these guys:
Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby shann » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
shann wrote:I've been vegan for about 10 years, and supplement with iron tablets when necessary.

I am possibly the world's fattest vegan (partially due to thyroid issues, partially due to desserts), so if you fall off the health bandwagon and need some recipes for cakes, I'm your woman.


Pfft...I didn't get the monicker BigFriendlyVegan because I was tall. Took me two years of regular to get to something approaching a normal weight. Do you use something weird as an egg replacer? We use egg-like powder when we need a binding agent, as you do in cakes. My wife's cakes are always great. This week is local council election week, so she'll be baking for the school stall. She always makes vegan cakes, which I have to sample for quality control reasons, of course.


Nope, no egg-like powder for me. Check out the post punk kitchen for some recipes. Also if you google 'easy vegan chocolate cake', you'll find the best chocolate cake in the world (vegan or not).
shann
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Baldy wrote:http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=12032

I think you are going to love Durianrider.



I love his stuff.


Yeah, he's abrasive. However I dig the message and kudo's go to him for posting his blood results and for delivering on the fitness side of the equation. If he is fair dinkum (and I believe he is) then he's doing very well for himself and good on him I say.






On my attempts at Veganism


Quitting meat and animal products is proving harder than I expected. I'm convinced that it's healthier, however I'm drinking Ice Break ice coffee's even though immediately after downing one I'm thinking to myself "I didn't enjoy that" yet I'm still drinking them :?

The path I'm trying to follow is Dr Mc Dougalls.





Quick observation / question if you will


I'm finding that rice isn't really agreeing with me. By that I mean, my weight loss isn't happening. I do recall in one season of the Biggest Loser, the trainer Shannon told one contestant that rice sits in your guts longer and that can add to the number on the scale. I am interested in the weight loss aspect of Veganism however I must say that health is my primary goal.... meh, I dunno what I'm sayin'
2012 Oppy A4 | 200x Hard tail Kona Blast Deluxe
User avatar
KonaCommuter
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:03 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I'm finding that rice isn't really agreeing with me. By that I mean, my weight loss isn't happening. I do recall in one season of the Biggest Loser, the trainer Shannon told one contestant that rice sits in your guts longer and that can add to the number on the scale. I am interested in the weight loss aspect of Veganism however I must say that health is my primary goal.... meh, I dunno what I'm sayin'


No matter what food you eat, 'fat' loss depends on a Calorie deficit. Just eating vegan doesn't guarantee a Calorie deficit, otherwise vegans would quickly waste away and die. I have a friend who has been vegan for 30 years whose weight is stable.

Over the last 8 weeks, I've lost a much as 2kg in a week, but have lost nothing in the last week due to overeating nuts and dried fruits. I am overeating due to higher stress levels with longer work hours and doing some longer more difficult rides.

Predictable weight loss is not hit and miss. Multiple studies show the sure way to lose weight is to measure your food portions and know your energy expenditure, then log it along with your bodyweight each morning. Professional athletes are trained to do this.

The rice thing is misleading. All starches and vegetables have more fibre. This does cause heavier and more bulk in your intestines, which can add to bodyweight. It's misleading to say rice sits in the gut longer. It has more fibre and will therefore traverse the intestines quicker than protein and fats.

Starch also replenishes glycogen stores in liver and muscles, which binds 3x its weight in water. Going on a low carb diet depletes glycogen stores giving the impression you ahve lost more bodyfat than is the case. As soon as you go back to eating starch you put a lot of that weight back on as glycogen and bound water.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I heard that one of his former team mates saw him eating bacon once and he also organised bbqs for US Postal. There's no "proof", other than hearsay, but I don't think he's a vegan.


He doesn't think he's vegan either. He just eats vegan meals for breakfast and lunch. He very well might have a 300gram barbecued steak every night.
The article was written this year, a long time after his US Postal days.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:52 pm

PawPaw wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I heard that one of his former team mates saw him eating bacon once and he also organised bbqs for US Postal. There's no "proof", other than hearsay, but I don't think he's a vegan.


He doesn't think he's vegan either. He just eats vegan meals for breakfast and lunch. He very well might have a 300gram barbecued steak every night.
The article was written this year, a long time after his US Postal days.


Yeah, I know, just trying to be amusing. It's interesting to note that Lance is from Texas and there is a big population there that regularly makes vegan and even gluten free food - the Mexicans. The difference is that it's not vegetarian food with them, it's just food, just another option to have. It's the same with middle eastern food, there's a great variety of vegan food there that's not labelled vegan because it's not vegan, it's just food.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby matagi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:03 am

KonaCommuter wrote:Quick observation / question if you will


I'm finding that rice isn't really agreeing with me. By that I mean, my weight loss isn't happening. I do recall in one season of the Biggest Loser, the trainer Shannon told one contestant that rice sits in your guts longer and that can add to the number on the scale. I am interested in the weight loss aspect of Veganism however I must say that health is my primary goal.... meh, I dunno what I'm sayin'

Are you eating white or brown rice? Maybe try brown, it has more fibre and it will give your gut a bit more exercise. :)

BTW, what Shannon said is a crock of excrement.
User avatar
matagi
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:52 am
Location: In a parallel universe

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 pm

I've been a semi vegan (vego + dairy + honey but no eggs, fish etc) for 21 years now. Don't take any supplements and my last blood test was all good except for being a tad low on vitamin D :wink:
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:21 pm

NhiTrac wrote:I've been a semi vegan (vego + dairy + honey but no eggs, fish etc) for 21 years now. Don't take any supplements and my last blood test was all good except for being a tad low on vitamin D :wink:


which micronutrients did you have tested?
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 pm

PawPaw wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:I've been a semi vegan (vego + dairy + honey but no eggs, fish etc) for 21 years now. Don't take any supplements and my last blood test was all good except for being a tad low on vitamin D :wink:


which micronutrients did you have tested?


You know what, I don't actually know :lol:

I just said "everything" when the doc said what I want tested. Probably didn't go into that level of detail but the bill was all good except vit D. Have been meaning to go back for another check up but have been too busy...

So what should I be asking for exactly?
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby JBark » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 pm

NhiTrac wrote:So what should I be asking for exactly?


B12 is an important one to get tested for if you're vegan, since it's generally only found in animal products. The problem lies in the fact that your body needs a very little amount, and can store a very large amount in the liver, so it can take a very long time before a deficiency in B12 actually becomes a problem. You can be vegan for years before having any issues related to it. And the problems can be pretty severe, leading up to irreversible neurological damage, so it's not one to mess with. Doesn't help that the normal blood test for B12 is very unreliable. The MMA test seems to be the more recommended test

These days, quite a bit of vegan/vegetarian stuff is fortified with B12, so it's not that big of a deal. But if you're a raw/all natural vegan, it's something to watch out for.
JBark
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: South Lake, WA

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby simonn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:29 pm

JBark wrote:These days, quite a bit of vegan/vegetarian stuff is fortified with B12


FWIW, Sanitarium Marmite has B12 and is vegan (IIRC).
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby ball bearing » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Vegetarian here since 1973 and vegan for 14 years. The only supplement I take is methylcobalamin which is B12. My children have all been raised with the same diet and their health is outstanding. I have never been on any medications nor do I have any health problems (knock on wood).

There are thousands of recipes on the net if you get stuck for variety, although my family loves the more simple foods like pasta, sprouted lentil soup, and the like.

The Australian doctors have finally given non-meat diets the thumbs up. The subject is very politically heated.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/anima ... 1zr6t.html

The Yank doctors are ahead of the game...

"Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence. Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12778049

Once you get over the initial shock of your new way of eating you will probably wonder why you didn't go vegan years ago.

If you watched Bill Clinton give his Democratic Convention speech you might have noticed that he looks better than he did 20 years ago. He turned vegan because of his heart disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpcBMwL ... re=related

There are plenty of vegan athletes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY5v-pGm1hE

The only downside to being a vegan is being asked silly questions like, "where do you get you protein?"
ball bearing
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby mrsly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:09 pm

I've just finished reading 'Eat and Run' by Scott Jurek. He's arguably the world's most succesful ultra marathon runner and manages it just nicely as vegan. The book includes a fair bit about his transition to this diet and has a recipe at the end of each chapter.

I really enjoyed it; nice easy read and lots to consider. if it fuels him running 100+ miles, it should do the job for a cyclist also.

Def something worth thinking about. I'm a 'part time vegie' and even with this I def see and feel the benefits.

Cheers!
mrsly
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby PawPaw » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 am

ball bearing wrote:Vegetarian here since 1973 and vegan for 14 years. The only supplement I take is methylcobalamin which is B12. My children have all been raised with the same diet and their health is outstanding. I have never been on any medications nor do I have any health problems (knock on wood).


Interesting BB. Thx for the link. I've followed Rosemary Stanton for decades, as I think she is the most informed and level headed person on the dietary field in Australia. I went strict ovo lacto vego in 1979, and it was her reassurance that meant most to me. I went back to eating up to 300g of meat about 6 years later when I got a chronic illness, though that didn't effect the illness.

I'd be interested in your life story bb, and the lifestyles of your kids. Are you all super active, strong? endurance?
I've always met heaps of vegos who lead more passive or endurance sport lives, though not as many who are into rugby, mountain climbing, Olympic weightlifting, etc.

At this point, I don't think it's possible for vegans to achieve the same strength and power as meat eaters, but I think the latter's strength is due to enhanced by animal sourced steroids, which has more health disadvantages than the strength advantage conferred. Am not saying vegans cannot be strong. A mate has been a medico with the Aust Olympic Weightlifting Association for decades, and knows of no elite level lifters who are vego or vegan.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby simonn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:50 am

PawPaw wrote:Am not saying vegans cannot be strong. A mate has been a medico with the Aust Olympic Weightlifting Association for decades, and knows of no elite level lifters who are vego or vegan.


Should a normal person base their dietary habits (or ethics/morality) on what genetic freaks* do?

*Seriously, all elite athletes are genetic freaks. Long long long gone are the days wait Billy Bothwaite worked downt steel mill, 'ad chips with his mum on a Friday and then ran 'round t'park f'training was elite level.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 am

PawPaw wrote:At this point, I don't think it's possible for vegans to achieve the same strength and power as meat eaters, but I think the latter's strength is due to enhanced by animal sourced steroids, which has more health disadvantages than the strength advantage conferred. Am not saying vegans cannot be strong. A mate has been a medico with the Aust Olympic Weightlifting Association for decades, and knows of no elite level lifters who are vego or vegan.


:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe your mate isn't looking too hard at them while they're eating. There may be none (that he knows of) in the AOWA, but they're certainly around. Take, for example, Noah Han­ni­bal. He won a gold medal in the heavyweight division of the Australian National Bench Press Championships. There are others, just none I can name off the top of my head. I do remember one vegan guy winning silver overall in the middleweight division, I think, but as for the others I wouldn't know if they're vegan or not. It's not like there's a secret mark that we all have.

Your argument is like saying that there are no Sudanese weightlifters at the world championships, that you know of, so therefore Sudanese people suck at weightlifting.

:roll:
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Any vegans here?

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:14 am

Yes Pawpaw should know better than that. We've meet on a few occasions & he knows I'm a freakoid vegan. I'm also very strong & extremely buff IMO. :wink:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
User avatar
ZepinAtor
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Brizzzzbane Everton Hillzzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist