New helmet after a fall?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
thecaptn

New helmet after a fall?

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi all,

Had a spill this arvo and smacked my head/helmet on the concrete. Was checked out at hospital, mild concussion, some skin off etc but all good. My helmet (Fox Flux) recieved some lite scratches but looks fine otherwise. Have given it the flex test and it seems solid, no cracks. The helmet is a really good solid one which is why i bought it origionaly and it's only a couple of years old but should I replace it due to this incident?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Pete

marinmomma

Re: New helmet after a fall?

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Time for a new one 8)
Lisa

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:33 pm

toss it.

If you'd just done a hip and shoulder, or stuck your arm out, it would've been fine but it's done its job and no longer any good

read your own lingo - your lid smacked on the concrete. say no more.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Yep. Bike helmets are only designed to work once, even if it doesn't look like it's sustained any damage it might not do what it's supposed to next time, not worth the risk. If money for a replacement is tight you can get a helmet for Big W, i did this recently, not as comfortable as my old one but only $18 and it meets the AS.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks everyone,
Just ordered a replacement. :)
Pete

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Good stuff Pete, now get some satisfaction and take to the late Flux with a hammer.
A, it's a good stress buster and B, no one will be tempted to drag it out of the bin thinking they've just scored a cheap lid.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 am

I still keep the helmet i wore when I had my first stack. Like a memento :). I'm not using it though (and won't)

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 pm

You people really do over-rate the qualities of bicycle helmets. They are barrier protection only, and do not have any fairy dust in them that escapes when they get a bump or scratch, nor a crystal lattice that shatters on impact, releasing all the fragile harmonics.
You have officially become your parents.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Well i can't speak for everyone else, but i'm fully aware that a helmet is not going to let me bounce off a car without any harm. I'm also aware that it is just a lump of foam, and once it has had a solid hit a certain amount of it will have compressed (which is what it's designed to do) and won't pop back to do it again. $18 is pretty damn cheap to have one that is going to work as well as it can (for what that's worth).

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 am

Ken Ho wrote:You people really do over-rate the qualities of bicycle helmets. They are barrier protection only, and do not have any fairy dust in them that escapes when they get a bump or scratch, nor a crystal lattice that shatters on impact, releasing all the fragile harmonics.
Feel better?

You people ? ah you must be talking about ldrcycles and Mulger Bill.

Yeah!!!....you helmet lovers :roll:

hungrypizza11

Postby hungrypizza11 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:10 pm

When I was young, I was riding my bike with a friend. I was using the same helmet I had been for years. Anyway, we were about to go down the street, and he threw me my helmet. I dropped it half a metre and it broke into 15 pieces. I will never use an old helmet or one I suspect could be damaged.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZuC4MmMzcg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;