Stretching, Pre and Post rides.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
g-boaf

Re: Stretching, Pre and Post rides.

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:41 am

sogood wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I have to stretch the calves before I go otherwise I'll be prone to cramping. I do stretch afterwards too.
+1. At least used to. At one stage when I rode heavily, post ride stretching seemed to have a preventative effect on cramps (both during and post rides). So it was a quick routine in the shower or after the dismount. No hard science to back this up but seemed to work for me. These days, I don't get cramps and no routine stretching.
It wouldn't have mattered how much stretching I did for me, because that wasn't the problem. It ended up being the bike fit and the cleat position on the shoes. I did a ride on Saturday that previously would have caused me trouble and got through the whole thing without cramping or twitching muscles. Unbelievable that just some adjustment of the cleats and corresponding reduction in saddle height had such a big improvement. :shock:

I'm keeping up with the stretching though as it should always be done. With a bit of luck, all the problems I had difficulty with are behind me. Now I can concentrate on getting faster. :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 pm

+ 1 i am prone to tendinitis due to scoliosis/leg length difference. it got to the point where i had to stay off the bike to avoid rupturing it. the physio gave me stretching exercises, which helped, but i basically resolved it by moving the SPD cleats max. rearwards.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:29 pm

I've just taken up post-ride stretching against of hamstrings/glutes, lower back pain has come back & I've found I'm a lot less flexible on my right side.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

mictra

Postby mictra » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Very nice read from all.

So far I've been stretching before and after, nothing major just a quick stretch of quads / hams.

This talk of no stretch before exercise is something I've never considered as I've always done it. I'm thinking of building upon my current stretching (mainly after ride) with a few different stretches as I think it's always good to give your body something new / not the same routine.

wardie

Postby wardie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Before my early morning rides I do two full salute to the sun routines (yoga people will know what I'm on about) which really gets my back and hips working and warm. I never stretch pre-ride and nor should you IMHO. You're trying to stretch cold muscles which will lead to injury.

I always stretch post-ride though. Mainly hip flexors, glutes, calves and hamstrings.
Giant XTC 2

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I never stretch before a ride and only sometimes stretch afterwards. If I don't do any stretching my calves get very tight and painful which reminds me that I need to stretch more.
<removed by request>

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:28 am

jules21 wrote:+ 1 i am prone to tendinitis due to scoliosis/leg length difference. it got to the point where i had to stay off the bike to avoid rupturing it. the physio gave me stretching exercises, which helped, but i basically resolved it by moving the SPD cleats max. rearwards.
Sounds like you need speedplays with some shims to counter that.
I've just gotten the "flexibility for cyclists book" along with the stretching strap. I've yet to use it as I'm off the bike at the moment but so want back on.
I normally do a quad stretch, hamstring, calves, ITB, butt/lower back after each ride
I also have a rumble roller and some hard spiky balls for those tender areas :twisted: Starts off lil sore but then starts to feel good as it's been eased out
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

LM324

Postby LM324 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 am

lasertip wrote:It's been proven that prolonged stretching before exercise causes a reduction in force production. Can't remember which study I'm quoting, read it awhile back.
I have seen this as well, although I am pretty sure this only applies to doing explosive exercises such as sprinting (not on the bike)