Is it ok to chuck a sicky to ride your bike?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
schwing

Re: Is it ok to chuck a sicky to ride your bike?

Postby schwing » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:18 pm

It depends on the person and the job, and the company.
If for example you've been slogging your ass off for weeks, unable to catch up on our life on days off, in need of time out to stop you blowing your cool.
then YES
Get out and ride - you'll work better on your return. Perhaps some guilt will help here.
Just dont get too tanned

Snoopy-16

Postby Snoopy-16 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Just as food for thought:

I am currently on 3 months sick leave to recover from surgery due to a bike crash I had in October.

You may suddenly find you need all those sick days that your entitled to to keep you head above water.
Leave without pay is NOT fun !

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 pm

I took a sicky last Sunday because I forgot how to ride me bike for one horrible second on the Saturday evening, hope that's OK?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 pm

my hair grows in work time, should i take time off work for a hair cut?
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

skull

Postby skull » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 pm

orbeas wrote:my hair grows in work time, should i take time off work for a hair cut?
HAHA when I had hair, I use to slip down to the barber in work hours to get a trim. In fact my first haircut that was required for that job we were all marched down and made to have haircuts in work time.

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 pm

did you get to wear the camaflouge gear and carry a shooter 8)
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

skull

Postby skull » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 am

Didn't have the camos issued yet. We were all wearing daggy green army tracksuits.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 pm

No need to waste your sick leave. Tell other staff that you will be out on a field inspection.

macski

Postby macski » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 pm

I don't believe that it's okay to take a sickie if you are not sick. I have never done it - perhaps that's why I have 384 days of accumulated personal (sick) leave. But as others have said, if you find yourself with a serious illness or have an accident then you could be in a difficult position if you've used all of your sick leave.

One of my work colleagues has just had 5 months off because of a return of breast cancer and is not coming back for the foreseeable future but still has enough accumulated sick leave to be paid.

Plus, my boss is very fair - he suggested I take 5 days off over the Christmas period without using annual leave - as time off in lieu :)

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:15 am

macski wrote:I don't believe that it's okay to take a sickie if you are not sick. I have never done it - perhaps that's why I have 384 days of accumulated personal (sick) leave. But as others have said, if you find yourself with a serious illness or have an accident then you could be in a difficult position if you've used all of your sick leave.

One of my work colleagues has just had 5 months off because of a return of breast cancer and is not coming back for the foreseeable future but still has enough accumulated sick leave to be paid.

Plus, my boss is very fair - he suggested I take 5 days off over the Christmas period without using annual leave - as time off in lieu :)
Anyone on an EBA has had their sick days factored into their wage. When they leave a company after many years it's unusual to be fully reimbursed for untaken sick days. People who don't utilise their sickies are therefore being paid less than those that do and the company they work for is rewarding their honesty by retaining a percentage of their wage. It's true that if your one of the lucky employees who's sickies continue to accumulate year after year (as oppossed to loosing them annually) you can use them as a form of insurance but you're still paying a premium for that insurance in that if you don't ever get sick enough to need them you'll be relatively disadvantaged financialy and that's a gamble you're entitled to take.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 am

Oxford wrote:
thecaptn wrote:Yeah they cant do that mate, it's the 21st century :roll:
yeah, its not like companies monitor online forums, blogs etc etc. if I can offer some friendly advice, temper what you say online, particularly when it involves what amounts to what an employer can sustain as fraudulent behavior against them. its not if, its a case of when. remember, all you need to do is upset the wrong person and you leave yourself open to all your online behavior and comments being used to mount a very viable case for dismissal against you. don't think it will not happen, it already is happening, courtesy of the 21st century. :twisted:
What I write on an online forum is irrelevant if I have a doctors certificate.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 am

floody wrote:
thecaptn wrote:Yeah they cant do that mate, it's the 21st century :roll:
And a bloody shame it is.
When I refer to the 21st century I'm obviously only refering to the mainland.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:59 am

thecaptn wrote:I chuck sickies to ride all the time. I don't think it makes any difference to the company or my "workmates" and if it did I wouldn't care :D I ran out of sick pay years ago and annual leave so it doesn't cost them anything. It's not that I'm lazy, I even chuck sickies to do volunteer work. I work for a massive corperation, it's not a person, it doesn't care about me and I don't care about it. I think people oppose the practice out of some holier than thou, moraly pre programmed sheep mentality. At the end of my my life I'll be extreemly satisfied about the time I wasn't at work and even happier that I didn't make some rich invester richer. So I think its ok to chuck a sickie to ride and even unaustralian not to.
Gee, I wonder why.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 pm

even tho I have no issues about taking sick days to ride mental health day.

I am glad I haven't, as I will use all of my sick leave and a couple of days annual leave to cover my current injury.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
thecaptn wrote:I chuck sickies to ride all the time. I don't think it makes any difference to the company or my "workmates" and if it did I wouldn't care :D I ran out of sick pay years ago and annual leave so it doesn't cost them anything. It's not that I'm lazy, I even chuck sickies to do volunteer work. I work for a massive corperation, it's not a person, it doesn't care about me and I don't care about it. I think people oppose the practice out of some holier than thou, moraly pre programmed sheep mentality. At the end of my my life I'll be extreemly satisfied about the time I wasn't at work and even happier that I didn't make some rich invester richer. So I think its ok to chuck a sickie to ride and even unaustralian not to.
Gee, I wonder why.
'cause it's a massive corporation :roll:
I hate having to repeat myself.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 am

I'm not saying I've ever gone this, but is be flagging the ride as private in strava if I did. ... :mrgreen:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Yeah you wouldn't want your boss as one of your followers on Strava :)