Heel Bursitis from too high a seat

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Heel Bursitis from too high a seat

Postby Releng » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 pm

I have been making some changes to the bikes, different cranks and different seats with the result that I ended up with both bikes having seats that are too high.

I thought I had it all sorted and did a couple of longish rides on the weekend and the bikes felt ok. On Sunday afternoon I had a bit of a pain behind my left heel. I thought it was the achilles.
Things got a bit worse on Monday and then deteriorated further on Tuesday. By this morning I could not walk. The Physio has cleared the achilles tendon and diagnosed heel bursitis.

Rest, anti inflammatory medication and no cycling for a while.
Releng

by BNA » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 pm

BNA

Re: Heel Bursitis from too high a seat

Postby marriedwith3bikes » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 pm

No fun is it, I feel your pain I had 3 months off my bike because of a similar injury, insertional achilles tendinopathy, intense pain at the back of my heal. Yep rest, time off the bike and physio is about all you can do. Mine was from a seat that was too high and cleats that placed my foot too far forward, my fault. Anyway all the best
marriedwith3bikes

Re: Heel Bursitis from too high a seat

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Common causes are saddles too high, but also cleats mounted too far forward on shoes, and cleats which need some wedging to make the foot a little less pronated... Its usually pretty easy to fix however compared to other bike setup related problems...
Dr_Mutley

Return to Cycling Health