The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
- Posts: 582
- Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
- Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia
I do ride a lot: for the last 3 years I've been averaging at least 15,000km per year, and this year's the biggest yet, with my monthly average just over 1,500km. I have a 30km commute (1-way), and the round-trip commute has approx. 900m climbing, so plenty of hills.
I try to drink a reasonable amount of water each day, particularly just before each commute. I've had this continual low-level muscle pains in my legs for a long time now, and I've actually become used to it. But is it normal for this level of cycling activity, and if not, any suggestions on what I can do to reduce or stop it?
- Posts: 15451
- Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
- Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!
As long as it is muscle rebuild pain and not tight hips / tendon pain.
Maybe checking your diet - protein intake enough?. Your getting enough rest?. Your bike position is good?. Maybe a bit of stretching to loosen up the muscles.
There could Be a lot of causes and a lot of remedies.
- Posts: 470
- Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:11 pm
- Location: Canberra
1. Incorporate some rest - Ride two days easy, small chainring the whole way, both ways.
2. Start a regular stretching/massage program
3. Make sure you are eating and drinking enough and that it's the right stuff, see a dietician or someone who can tell you what you should be eating.
4. How is your bike fit? Maybe some tweaking could help things (unlikely if you have been doing more than 300km/week for the last 3 years, but always worth considering)
edit: basically the same advice as TLL suggested
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 pm
- Location: Inner West, Sydney
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Cell Bikes
- Malvern Star
- Santa Cruz
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Patt0
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.