Good quad stretch

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Good quad stretch

Postby vbplease » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 am

Hi guys, I thought I'd share a good quad stretch I've been doing which has worked wonders for me..

I think the problem started with a bad bike fit on my tri bike and developed tightness (starting on tendonitis) at the top of my quads, in the hip/groin region. The standard one legged quad stretch is good, but doesn't isolate the top part.. the lie on your stomach and stretch the quad behind is better, but still didn't isolate the right part. The kneeling quad stretch is better again as it engages the top of the quad when pushing the hip forward.. but takes some balance and the majority of ones body weight is supported on the knee which is being stretched.. ouch!

Here it is - stand next to a cushioned chair with the seat very slightly below knee height, then just do the one legged quad stretch with your knee resting on the seat. With a combination of pushing your hip forward and slightly bending your straight leg you can isolate any part of the quad you want while staying balanced and not stressing any other part of the body.

I do it at work all the time now.. standing at my desk while pretending to read something :wink: hope it helps someone else!
vbplease

by BNA » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 am

BNA

Re: Good quad stretch

Postby Sweeper59 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for the tip, VB

I was unable to ride for 3 weeks last year, due to pain in my lower back. I saw my doctor, had X-rays taken, but was unable to find the cause. However, I spoke with a fellow rider who is a physio, and he found the problem fairly quickly. I had been doing plenty of km's on my bike, which had been building up the big muscles at the top of my legs, but doing very little stretching. It turns out that the muscle build-up had been compressing my lower back. A couple of physio sessions saw me back on my bike in a couple of days, and I have been very conscious of stretching my glutes, quads and hamstrings since then.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!
Sweeper59

Re: Good quad stretch

Postby eeksll » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:52 pm

with the kneeling quad stretch, I use a wall or a step to hold up my foot instead of grasping it with my hand and I also use a cushion (at the gym they have these half swiss ball thing which is better) under my knee.

Another thing that I have found that works is putting my knee in the center of a full size bean bag, as my knee sinks into the bag, it works by both cushioning my knee and holding up my leg so i dont have to grasp it.

and also a foam roller.
eeksll

Return to Cycling Health