Lower Back Pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Re: Lower Back Pain

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 pm

If you don't get on top of it soon Fiona it will drag you down slowly on a personal level. I put up with back problems for close on 20 years to the point where I was taking a full sheet and more of pain killers everyday. Finally got it sorted after xrays and scans and seeing a sports pyshio and had a lot of pushing, shoving and accupuncture, then exercises to do.

I have 2 bulged disc and half an extra vertebrae on the base of my spine plus slight compression of the spine from being hit by a truck, when out training :evil: but everything is much more manageable now since seeing the sports pyshio bloke. :mrgreen:

Stick it to your Drs and tell them to extrate their fingers from where it isn't supposed to be and give you the referrals for xray and mri scans.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah I would be hassling them as well... if you can, then keep moving even it is only walking. Worse thing my doctor said to me was stop riding, within a couple of weeks everything was locking up.
Fingers crossed for you... I don't miss the Oz medical system one little bit!.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm

thanks for good wishes - off to MRI thursday - thank goodness -found out that DR was trying for public appointment cos he did not think I would like to pay the $180 for private one - yeh gods would have paid 10 x that if it would have helped move things along - anyway booked in now and will have results next week.

turning into a really cranky crabby b#####. taking way too many pain pills and despite them getting stronger and stronger no real improvement - have been off the bike for way too long..getting flabby legs and flabby brain.

did not think I was a sook but this is really dragging me down and lack of sleep and constant pain can lead to dark thoughts - at least now have something on the horizon that might help sort it out.

still cannot believe how quickly the bike becomes a big and such an enjoyable part of life - miss it terribly.

fiona

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Good luck with it Fiona and I know only to well about it dragging you down. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Guy at work was on epilepsy meds to take the edge off his nerve pain from his trashed back, pain killers don't block the pain. Sleeping pills can solve the sleep issue, but it's supposedly not good sleep.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:37 am

Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution fiona.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:40 pm

All the best, Fiona.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Good luck Fiona.........best wishes for a positive result.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Finally the results are in and mixed bag - L4/5 bit bulgy and some significant arithtic changes especially in the the little spiny bits- not much that can be done medicaly except anti-inflamatories and take calcium etc to help old lady bones. Bad news is pain is likely to get better and worse depending on amount of swelling and not much that can be done to get long term relief. heat, ice, massage, TENS - anything that works and when really bad pain killers.

The Very Very Good news is that no reason to stop riding my bike and every reason to jump back on as I will not do any more damage than the mix of old age and too many falls off horses has already done! As the major changes are arithtic keeping as active and mobile as possible is best possible course of action -

So back on the bike tomorrow morning - will take it slow and maybe small rides more often rather than trying to do 30 or 40 kms on the first day back.

already happier knowing that the only reason I cannot ride is cos I am too lazy.......
Thanks all for hints, advice and good wishes - I am just going to have to suck it up and get on with it.....yipeeeeee

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

What's a bit bulgy mean?... If they haven't got an obvious hernia and look like they normally would for someone of similar age then that IMO is great news.
Means it is more likely mechanically related which is not a big surprise with someone like you taking up cycling with such gutso ;-) .
Keep moving!... Look into your back pain not being the cause but rather being the symptom of other issues in your flexibility, core strength, bike position etc.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:27 pm

And you will be getting an expert bike fit now?!

Sent from my iThingy...

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Diagnosis is apparently a broad based bulge due to deformity - deformity is due to arithtic changes - and apparently all due to ageing and old injuries

TLL - I think you are right that it is great news because it means the responsibility to manage it is now mine - I can't really do any harm to myself by exercising sensibly - and really weight loss and exercise is going to be the best medicine. Plus a great excuse to go and get a massage whenever... :D

Twizzle - not sure where I can get a better bike fit up here - I have had the physio look at me on the bike, and two extra checks at bike shop, one with physio present.The physio suggested an upright, old fashioned ladies bike - but I'd rather whinge a bit..... :D
I am going to try and get some more info from Steve Hogg's site - not sure I am good enought to understand all the ins and outs though but certainly cannot hurt.

I must admit that the bike does not hurt to ride at all when my back is good -its just when my back gets really sore, I cannot really do anything much at all without it hurting - nevertheless agree bike fit should be part of it - got to get the basics right...

anyway - no point whinging now - just got to get on with it and manage best I can, accept that some days might be sore but overtime if I build muscle etc, keep weight down and don't go silly I will be alright -

thanks all Fiona

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Just don't get only your back massaged... get you bum, hips and legs done :D .
Buy a foam roller as well... the agonizing pain you can put yourself in by rolling your body weight over your glutes, ITB, hammies etc is pure pleasure... or is that just me? :oops: .
Lots of things you can look into.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Most shops stop at saddle location, stem length etc. I was thinking more cant wedges, leg length shims, offset saddles etc., etc., - the things Steve does that everyone else seems to put in the "too hard" basket.

Sent from my iThingy...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Steve is a friendly guy, drop him an email, he might be able to suggest someone to you Fiona. Or he has ( or used to anyway ) have the option of sending him a video and giving you a consultation from that. OK not the same as in person but he can see pretty obvious things no problem on a video.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I can agree with regards to the foam roller, the pain you can inflict on yourself is truly astounding !!

And when you can't ride a 'normal' upright bike you can always ride a recumbent......

I had a microdisectomy on L4/5 and after 14 months on a recumbent I can ride an upright bike :-)

Although recently had a relapse on the back, and major back "lock down" right now so lots of leg pain :-(

Hang in there Fiona !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm a physio and have had herniated lumbar discs since I was 19. When I took up riding again 7 years ago, I never ever thought I'd be able to ride 500-700 km's in a week.
Nevertheless, that's what I do occasionally now. Every back is different, so don't think what applies to others automatically applies to you.
I suggest you ease off doing things that stir your back significantly, and focus on building core strength and flexibility; and lose weight by reducing Calorie intake rather than increasing energy expenditure.
Weight loss and a stronger more flexible core are must haves for less painful riding.
Then I'd suggest you have your road riding posture analysed....i.e. not on a stationery bicycle.

Keep in mind many people have asymptomatic disc bulges and osteoarthritis of the spine.

If you are prepared to travel to Brisbane, there's several physios I know who specialize in bike fit and dealing with middle aged morbidity.

Otherwise, good luck.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Great advice guys - have one of those balls with rubber spikes that I roll around on - its an exquisite sort of pain.......that sounds really weird....and a bit off doesn't it :D
But don't have a foam roller - have used one at the gym so might grab one tomorrow - anything that helps - have a two hour sports massage voucher the kids got me so know I know I can't hurt anything will try them out.

winstonw - any ideas gratefully received and happy to travel to Brisbane if need be. Am 167cm tall and now at 64 kilos -trying to get the last 5 off is proving really hard through diet alone, so I think I have to try and do a little more than walking--since I have been off the bike I have been trying to walk as much as possible and swim but weight fairly stubborn stuck.

Looked at Hoggs website and unfortuneately no videa fits available at the moment but will drop him an email and see what he suggests.

will let you know how I go in the morning - so happy to get back on.....will just do a coffee run but it will be great!!!

thanks again Fiona

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Re - reduce calorie intake... don't. Read "The smarter science of slim" first.

Sent from my iThingy...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:15 pm

twizzle wrote:Re - reduce calorie intake... don't. Read "The smarter science of slim" first.
....then reduce Calorie intake :roll:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 pm

fionahills wrote:and happy to travel to Brisbane if need be. Am 167cm tall and now at 64 kilos -trying to get the last 5 off is proving really hard through diet alone, so I think I have to try and do a little more than walking--since I have been off the bike I have been trying to walk as much as possible and swim but weight fairly stubborn stuck.
Fiona, I don't buy into weight being stubbornly stuck. :)
How do you determine whether you are generating a weekly Calorie deficit?

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 am

Hi winston

I worked out on a internet based calculator (and I think it was the livestrong one.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ) that based on age, activity level, weight and height that if I eat about 1100 to 1200 calories per day I should lose around 1/2 kilo a week - this has been ok getting from 68-69 to 64-65 kilos but lately stuck at 64.5-65 kilos. I sometimes hit 63.7 but don't stay there for long!!!.

I eat a fairly boring, repetitive diet and use a food diary - only notable differences over last few weeks is eating more fruit and reduced range of protein - less meat and fish in last couple of weeks- more eggs in salad, stone fruits are great and its been quite warm so not hungry for 'proper' meal...

For ages I was around 60 kilos, but then bounced up to over 70 cos I was a greedy pig and we moved off the farm and had ready access to ice cream and indian food...yum - Then I started riding the bike and chucked (very slowly I must admit) coffee, cake, icecream and indian takeaways.Looked at a photo of me on the bike and went back to good basics and was careful what I ate and off the weight came til last month or so.

Obviously with no riding my level of activity is down now so maybe should cut back to 1000 per day to shift some more - or contemplating the two days per week fasting approach - I agree that it is essentially a balance between what goes in your mouth and what you use through activity- but I'm a woman and its my perogative to blame hormones, the weather, my husband, the kids or anyone else I can if I don't lose the weight quickly enough... :D :D

any hints welcomed - alternatively really good excuses also welcome :D :D

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 am

PS - no ride today as I got stuck with granny duties and had to drive to Toowoomba and back to collect the youngster for a week....negotiating with my girls to get out and about tomorrow while they mind him....was sooooo looking forward to the ride...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 am

A big yes on building your core strength for back troubles from me. This was the one thing that got me back on the bike after being hit by the truck and the associated damage it caused. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 am

fionahills wrote:any hints welcomed - alternatively really good excuses also welcome :D :D
Something to think about : A calorie of protein ends up with about 50% - 55% being available as fuel or fat storage, for a calorie of starch it's around 70%. So what value is there in calorie counting unless you do it by type?