Bought first pair of spd shoes..... aching feet

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
nuttzo32

Bought first pair of spd shoes..... aching feet

Postby nuttzo32 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi i just recently purchased a set of shimano spd shoes and went on my first 10km commute with them today and within a few minutes of riding i started to develop aching feet under the balls/arch area of the feet.Is this due to incorrect cleat positioning or is this just because my feet aren't used to pulling up the pedals?

Venus62

Re: Bought first pair of spd shoes..... aching feet

Postby Venus62 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm no expert but I did my first ride (~20km) in cleats on the weekend and had no foot pain at all, so I'd suspect incorrect placement.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Youtube has many cleat positioning videos.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Your feet shouldn't hurt when wearing your cycling shoes.

Here's a few links which might be helpful reading:

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... -position/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/24638 ... foot-pain/

When I first started wearing my cycling shoes (MTB shoes with SPD), I was getting sore feet every now and again and after adjusting my cleats further back my feet have been fine ever since.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

A few minutes? Crikey.

Cleat position aside, how tight did you do them up? It's easy to get carried away with the cams and whatnot. Less is more I find.

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:01 pm

I will try positioning the cleats further back and see how it goes tomorrow.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Why are you trying to pull-up ? You might be over-thinking it and straining your legs.

There's good research that there's not much benefit in consciously pulling up - see for example
Perfect Pedal Strokes

If you try to consciously pull-up, you'll be engaging different muscles in your feet and calves.
Not only will they hurt, but their blood flow and metabolic demands could mean you'll get less
power out of your down-strokes. Think of the upstroke as recovery time.

The primary benefit of clip-ins is that you can start your down-stroke right at pedal top, without
risk of your foot slipping forward off the pedal. And similarly, you can continue it right to the
pedal bottom without slippage. Thats how you can increase your power output without having to
engage a whole different set of muscles.

The secondary benefit of clip-ins is that everyone else gets a good laugh when you clip-stack :)

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm

wombatK wrote: The secondary benefit of clip-ins is that everyone else gets a good laugh when you clip-stack :)
YES....+1 :lol:
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm

wombatK wrote:Why are you trying to pull-up ? You might be over-thinking it and straining your legs.

There's good research that there's not much benefit in consciously pulling up - see for example
Perfect Pedal Strokes

If you try to consciously pull-up, you'll be engaging different muscles in your feet and calves.
Not only will they hurt, but their blood flow and metabolic demands could mean you'll get less
power out of your down-strokes. Think of the upstroke as recovery time.

The primary benefit of clip-ins is that you can start your down-stroke right at pedal top, without
risk of your foot slipping forward off the pedal. And similarly, you can continue it right to the
pedal bottom without slippage. Thats how you can increase your power output without having to
engage a whole different set of muscles.

The secondary benefit of clip-ins is that everyone else gets a good laugh when you clip-stack :)

Cheers
Ok thanks for the info, i'm not sure if i am consciously pulling up but maybe i am pulling instead of pushing down and letting the pedals circle. And i did come close to having a clip stack today when i pulled out my right foot and went to lean on the left foot while it was still clipped in but i managed to get it out just in time.

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Moving the cleats further back and loosening straps on the shoe has made quite a difference, my left foot was only slightly sore today but much better than a few days ago. I think i may be slightly twisting my left foot when pedalling but a few more days breaking in the shoes and there should be no more discomfort.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Your competent LBS owner may be able to help you out with a bike fitting which (when I had mine) includes your cycling shoes for cleat placement. I've never had a sore foot.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:32 am

Cleats WILL cause dramas that you didn't have with flats if they aren't set up right, nuttz, because you are locked into a cycling motion. You aren't inflicted with such motion with flats because you can float, readjust, all over the place. I noticed my feet moved HEAPS on my MTB flats riding with the kids yesterday, and I 99% of the time wear SPDs.

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 pm

No longer getting any foot pain at all on my short 9km and back commutes, i think my feet just needed to get used to being clipped in. In a few weeks when i am on leave from work i am going to try 20km or more and see how i feel.