Knee'd Advice~reasurance

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Dr_Mutley

Re: Knee'd Advice~reasurance

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Glad to hear u have largely sorted the knee... Outside knee pain is quite often from an ITB cause, especially if you have just changed setups... Cleat angles and saddle too high are common causes.. Lots of other causes however of lateral knee pain, just identifying one of the most common...

But head off to a good orthopedic skilled doc or physio for assessment...

Edit: Whoops... Just read the last post about the right knee a bit more indepth... If its a loud audible cracking sound then this usually comes from tracking between the knee cap and underlying bony surface... Usually not much to worry about but can be a sign of some malalignment in ur kneecap tracking... Bit of physio and assessment of bike position etc should fix it...

sb944

Postby sb944 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Steve Hogg in Sydney charges a heftier sum, but it might be worth at least reading as many of his blog posts as you can. There is a lot of bike fit questions answered, but also a lot of hidden gold in articles you might think aren't relevant, or the Q+A at the bottom of a post. If you don't decide to fly to Sydney, you'll at least have your eyes opened to the vast array of different factors a good bike fitter will examine. This will arm you with questions for any local claiming to be an expert fitter too.

sb944

Postby sb944 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Actually prompted me to go have a look at his site again, and here is a pretty in depth article just for you:
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... knee-pain/

I do plan to read every article I can a 2nd time, as a lot of things went over my head the first read.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Cheers SB944,
I am about to read that article.
And Dr Mutley I will be taking your advice too.
On the shop for some shoes, very interested in the Bont A3 with Buckle or A2 (if I can find the right price) the big thing about them was the "Medial Longitudinal Arch Support
" And other foot fitment options as my left foot is slightly smaller in width and length, 2-3mm max. Baking them on will certainly help in this regard.

Thank you again for the continued advice.

***EDIT****
Just back from the Doc's slight inflammation of the muscle around the right knee and possible rough meniscus or behind the knee Cartlidge, he described it as a Velcro separation sound. Recommends off the bike for 24hrs, then try again, take anti inflams tonight, I will be using gel, those pesky tablets kill my stomach.
Then if it hurts rest for 48hrs and try again.
He is not concerned though, both knee's received the OK as far as ligament damage goes, and the pain on the left knee was indeed caused by poor cleat alignment. :D

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 am

**************UPDATE****************
Went back to LBS and they gave me a free fit again, played with the cleats alot and although it REALLY hurt the right knee, they both said it looked good to both of them, slight tilt adjust on the seat. Told me to stick the bike in the car and avoid hills for a while and bed in.
Went for a gentle coastal ride on Sunday 45k's, all well later in the day and monday, the knee gave up compaining after about 3ks. So all seems good, they have offered a free fit of my new shoes and pedals that will come from Wiggle! Perhaps he feels a bit guilty about the massive reduction on the Foil 40! I did buy lube, chain cleaner, CO2 thingy from him while I was there. Cancelled those bits with Wiggle.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************