Cycling Away From Smoking

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Cycling Away From Smoking

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:36 am

bardygrub wrote:Why dont we have a little support group on here :?: All of us that are trying to quit make a date that we all agree on and do it :roll: :cry:

While I think that this is an excellent idea, as to a certain extent peer pressure from others on here would help, particularly if you were required to provide daily updates.

However to give the sigs away successfully you first of all need to really want to kick the addiction, and like others on here I do unfortunately actually enjoy having a cigarette.

I guess that's why reading "the book" did very little for me.

The only pressure I get to give them away is from my GLW and grand daughter, and in my current situation feeling guilty that I'm spending money I can't really afford buying the damn things.
greyhoundtom

by BNA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:31 am

BNA

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:31 am

I don't know that you could call it a type of peer pressure GHT, more like moral support, especially if you come to a certain tough spot and others could relay to you how, they overcame that tough area. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 am

While “peer pressure” is probably not the right terminology, the type of pressure I meant was in the form of......Bugger they are all doing it..... I'm going to look like a real weak sod so I better hang in there. :lol:
greyhoundtom

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 am

GHT the I really enjoy a cigarette is not really true...I do know you feel that way and to you this is a highly justifiable position and to a certain extent I agree with you. However regardless it is not really true.

The reason for the 'enjoyment' is the cigarette addition excites certain areas of your brain that relate to enjoyment...however I am also certain you have heard all this before.

The question to ask is...If you enjoy smoking so much then why is it you can't stand x brand smokes? In my case it was Benson and Hedges. Surely if you truly enjoyed smoking then all cigarettes should be enjoyable, yet you know they aren't. So if this is true is it not also true that you don't really enjoy smoking the brand you currently buy it is just not as horrid as the brand you hate?
dynamictiger

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am

greyhoundtom wrote:While “peer pressure” is probably not the right terminology, the type of pressure I meant was in the form of......Bugger they are all doing it..... I'm going to look like a real weak sod so I better hang in there. :lol:

But is that a bad thing? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm

dynamictiger wrote:GHT the I really enjoy a cigarette is not really true...I do know you feel that way and to you this is a highly justifiable position and to a certain extent I agree with you. However regardless it is not really true.

The reason for the 'enjoyment' is the cigarette addition excites certain areas of your brain that relate to enjoyment...however I am also certain you have heard all this before.

The question to ask is...If you enjoy smoking so much then why is it you can't stand x brand smokes? In my case it was Benson and Hedges. Surely if you truly enjoyed smoking then all cigarettes should be enjoyable, yet you know they aren't. So if this is true is it not also true that you don't really enjoy smoking the brand you currently buy it is just not as horrid as the brand you hate?

Mate unfortunately I don't really care what brand of cigarettes I smoke as the usual question when I buy them "is anything on special"?

I have smoked whatever is around and that has included "Chop Chop" in the past, in fact I was so desperate one day some years ago that I rolled dried tea leaves left over from boiling the billy into a cigarette paper and tried to smoke that. :shock:
Unsuccessfully I might add. :oops:
greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:19 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:While “peer pressure” is probably not the right terminology, the type of pressure I meant was in the form of......Bugger they are all doing it..... I'm going to look like a real weak sod so I better hang in there. :lol:

But is that a bad thing? :?

Foo

Definitely not..........it should help a lot as no one, including me, want's to be thought of as being weak.
greyhoundtom

Postby DavidS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am

fionahills wrote:Time to fess up - I too am a smoker :oops:

have quit once for about 6 months many years ago and since then numerous pathetic attempts - had the thought that cycling would help - so far its not the lungs that give out its the legs (and back more to the point) - am hoping that one day I will feel the ill effects while riding and that will be the final push I need.

I actually got busted having a gasper on the gran fondo - stopped at lights waiting for my daughter -there was much mirth by older cyclists - much dersion by the younger ones..... :oops: :oops:

my biggest problem is that I LIKE CIGARETTE SMOKING....and have the typical head in the sand that the bad stuff won't happen to me.... I rarely drink so cannot blame it as a contributing factor..terrified of being fat....hate being a social leper - love visiting countries where it is still ok to smoke and actually sometimes plan holidays so I am not too restricted - its pathetic, completely irrational and still I smoke.....

I just wish that they would ban the bloody things as I am pretty pathetic and would not break to law (i don't think) to get them.

Have only myslef to blame as NO-ONE else in my family smokes and was not exposed to it as a kid......

Ashamed of lack of control but still love to light up and read a book, talk on the phone, lay in the sun, after exercise, before exercise, when I get up, before I go to bed and really any other time I can sneak one in...

very sad - but am secretly glad that I am not the only one - thanks for having the guts to fess up - have new strategies to think about..Fiona

+1 I know exactly how you feel.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby MarkG » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:06 am

Best thing I ever did was quit smoking.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby Ben82 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 am

MarkG wrote:Best thing I ever did was quit smoking.

+++++++++++++1
Ben82

Postby Semar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 pm

When you look around, most of the people left smoking are 'sub-bogan'. It's not a good look at all. :roll:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.
Semar

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm

I am not sure this is helpful?

A lot of the smokers left I know are actually the complete opposite of the bogan set. I know this goes against current thinking, however I would also comment they are all in very high pressure positions.
dynamictiger

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Well, like many of you here, I used to kid myself that I enjoyed smoking. And there were some times that it seemed to be true, and I felt some sense of satisfaction and relaxation from smoking.

But far more often, smoking meant standing outside somewhere gulping hot smoke from overheated fag that burnt the tip of my tongue and left a foul taste in my mouth. Enjoy that I definitely did not. This is what eventually motivated me to give up.

Like weight loss, giving up smoking requires a lifestyle change to be sustainable. In fact weight loss strategies and quitting strategies probably go hand in hand. It's going to be hard to give up smoking if you spend most evenings in the boozer with your (still smoking) mates. And if you can't manage your stress, you're probably always at risk of relapsing.

As previously posted, I saw a local GP for hypnosis therapy. During the treatment and for a further week after I was not allowed to drink alcohol, tea or coffee, and had to avoid activities which I associated with the smoking habit. I was only allowed to drink water or unsweetened orange juice.

I don't know that I was hypnotised, but during the treatment I saw the GP everyday, all he did was talk, I don't even recall anything that he said. But I do know that during the treatment I lost the craving to smoke and it has never returned, despite similar upheavals to my personal life to those others have mentioned.

Stop kidding yourself - and quit!
Last edited by RonK on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby newie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Want to give a good luck and best wishes to all of you taking the opportunity of a new year to have a crack at giving up. Being fortunate enough to grow up in a non-smoking environment and without much peer-pressure, I never took it up. But from all I have heard, seen and read it sounds like it like quitting is a tough thing to tackle. Respect to those of you that have managed to. And encouragement to have another go for those of you that have tried and failed in the past.

I do think we have reached the stage now where some people do make the assumption when they see a smoker that that person is less educated than others (more bogan, if you will) . No matter how unjustified that assumption may be. I realised this myself a few weeks ago when I was looking at a girl in a car and noticed that I had formed a perception that she was not very bright and that she was going to be a inconsiderate driver. I did a double take and wondered to muself why I was making this assumption when she hadn't done anything at all except sit at the lights minding her own business. I realised it was because she was puffing away. I thought to myself at the time that it was really interesting (and wrong) that I was making these judgements about her just because she was smoking. I do believe the statistics show that smoking rates are higher in areas of lower socio-economic status and education levels. Of course, that says nothing about any particular individual, but it does colour the societal perceptions.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that along with all the health and financial benefits, perhaps the assumptions that people inadvertently make about smokers is another motivation to give up. Maybe not - just throwing it out there.
newie

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:27 pm

As we are talking about socio-economics and I did point out the bogan image may not be completely correct, I would point out the chaps (mostly) I know that smoke are the chaps who are earning about $200-300k a year and for the most part would consider themselves underpaid for the role they perform for their respective employers. So perhaps their perspective is similar to those in lower socio economic groups?

I suspect there are two distinct groups of smokers. The bogan group and this other group that society and statistics almost ignore (as there is not a lot of them). I think on this forum we should carefully stay clear of assigning labels intentionally or not based on one habit. I am only saying this as I think our role here is to encourage some individual to consider giving up and to label them even mildly may be enough to put them off.

So to all you smokers on here I do not think you are necessarily poorer or less educated, I understand you choose to smoke and even state you enjoy smoking. What I would like to offer is my experience at giving up if you want it. This may be helpful to some and not to others. I certainly don't see smoking as a great evil and would not object to you lighting a cigarette in my car, provided the window was down and you asked first. However I do see it as a great drain on your cash...whats a packet of 30 cost now? $20.00 at a servo I'll bet. Smoke two of these packets a day and I reckon you need to have a pretty good income. Another issue to consider is your health or lack of. I can hear it now...I cycle..I am fit...I am in good shape. Really. Cycling is a sport where you can breathe as fast or as slow as you need and other than capacity to suck air in and blow it out you have no real restrictions. Try swimming and then tell me how fit and healthy you are for smoking. Swimming is the only sport I can think of where you have to control your breathing...not so easy for a smoker I would think.
dynamictiger

Postby skull » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 pm

dynamictiger wrote:) I know that smoke are the chaps who are earning about $200-300k a year

I know Bogans (referred to as CUBs Cashed Up Bogans) that are earning that much, salary isn't an indicator of education.

The Bogans choice of employment tends to be the mines or trades.
skull

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Can somebody please tell me how sanctimonious mouthing off and name calling is in any way, shape or form likely to be of assistance to those of us who have been brave enough to 'fess up and indicate some desire to quit?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby fionahills » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Careful boys your lycra is showing!!!! we may be starting to show a few elitist tendancies here

People make bad choices in all social economic groups e.g.smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, over eating, poor dietary choices, bad money management etc etc....

I am an admittedly very STUPID but NON BOGAN smoker - or at least I don't think I am -

educated to masters level, worked in big corporations at exec level here and off shore, I work in the not for profit sector now to atone for my previous sins in corporate life - I do a lot of financial counselling, mediation pre bankruptcy things like that, do business dvelopment work for a pittance, volunteer overseas, live in 3rd world conditions and don't complain - much...!!
never been to Bali, have a great super fund, kids all either at Uni or finished, gave them all private school education, don't have a jet ski or a speed boat - finished school, never been arrested except for nearly after smacking the bus driver...... I am just very addicted to smoking.... don't do dope or pills or booze or fast food, just smoke while fully aware that it is a harmful, expensive thing to do...

And as the wife of a so called CUB (who hates smoking and lectures me constantly) I feel I better stick up for them - he is electrician now earning twice as much in WA as we ever did with our own business -no bad debts, no 24 hour call outs, NO business activity statements, no problems borrowing for investments at much better rates than before - so much easier....

I smoke - I am not a bad person I have just made a very bad choice and actually like it - more fool me....

let's not conform to some sterotypes of what non cycling people think we are like - labels don't help this discussion progress.

PS I WEAR LYCRA WITH PRIDE -mainly cos knicks stop my butt from hurting and the jerseys come in great colours :D :D

Fiona
fionahills

Postby skull » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

I will also like to add that education doesn't always imply non-bogan either.

I know I have shown quite a few bogan tendencies myself in the past and I am university edumacated.

I also own a commodore.
skull

Postby fionahills » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Skull -
Ah - edumaction the great leveller -

I think you should be allowed one ' boganesque' characteristic before the 'label' kicks in - however in your case owning a commodore could be considered a dead giveway!! -even without the smokes..... :) :) I have an alfa - they would be outraged and take it back if did not smoke.... :)

Mulger - well said - I was feeling a bit precious and put upon....as a damaged human being I need love and support..not cruel jibes and name calling :) :)

fiona
fionahills

Postby DavidS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 pm

I think I'll just add to the smokers with a postgrad degree!

In fact, smoking is suddenly starting to look like the smart thing to do around here ;)

I work at a Uni and I'm not the only smoker there.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby Semar » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 am

Semar wrote:When you look around, most of the people left smoking are 'sub-bogan'. It's not a good look at all. :roll:

The point I was making was that smoking does not look good. Most of us are old enough to have been influenced by the stylish smoker of old movies and ads. But when I see smokers walking down the street or in cars or huddled in smokers ghettos, they don't look happy or glam.

Just don't bother to say you don't care how you look. That's not how humans are.

The other point I want to return to is my reason for this thread; how has cycling helped to free us from the self destructive addiction? Surely I'm not the only one. :?
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.
Semar

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:24 am

Why thank you Fiona, I was starting to feel the love until I read... :(
fionahills wrote:...however in your case owning a commodore could be considered a dead giveway!! -even without the smokes..... :)

fiona

Now why would you want to put yourself in a mods bad books? :P :P :P :P :wink:

BTW, it's a wagon of the chuck two bikes and a shedload of gear in the back and that's the weekend organised kind.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 am

Mulger bill wrote:I gotta get me that book! :(

Me too :(

Have done the champix thing before, as well as hypnosis. Hypnosis did diddly squat. Champix got me off em for 6 months, even with GLW still on em. Would like to go down the champix path again, but my god..... the nightmares. I didnt know my mind was capable of such thoughts and at one point very nearly considered taking myself down to the local cop shop and telling em to lock me up :(

Did I manage to squeeze 'em' in there enough times to make me appear more boganish? :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am

A workmate did the Champix thing and it worked but he and we went through 5 months of hell with the side effects. The explosive changes to his moods was not pretty.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Health