Glute discomfort

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ozstriker

Glute discomfort

Postby ozstriker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 am

For a while now, every few weeks or it can even be up to nightly, I get woken up with a bad discomfort in my bum muscles.

It's not a pain, it more feels like my glutes are trying to squeeze themselves to death and its quite uncomfortable, so much so I can't sleep, so I just lay there where it eventually feels like it releases.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what I'm talking about, stretching doesn't relieve the discomfort so really don't know what else to try and it doesn't feel like a cramp.

toolonglegs

Re: Glute discomfort

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 am

Yes I get it when training hard... but I find stretching helps it a bit. Especially lying on my back flat, bring one knee up to the chest angling to the opposite shoulder... holding it there is quite painful but in a good way. Also foam roller and ball helps loosen it up. But really it should be done in advance to head of the problem.
I am very tight in the hips these days and should be doing a lot more stretching and strengthening.

embee8

Re: Glute discomfort

Postby embee8 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:52 pm

+1

Glute pain has only surfaced for me since I started riding (a bit over two years ago). As TLL states, stretching is needed. I'm also quite tight in the left leg hammy and calf muscles so I get twinges at odd times there and on the outside knee area. As well as lower back.

Check out on-line for good stretches, or maybe see a physio for a couple of sessions. All the best ...
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4