Diet for endurance energy levels.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
eeksll

Re: Diet for endurance energy levels.

Postby eeksll » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:36 pm

twizzle wrote:Beep test training.
This is an interesting analogy and fits with my experience as well.

If I am planning a high intensity interval run, I like to warm up to the point where I feel like I am out of breath, stop and then start the high intensity training.

Another analogy/reason I have been told is the HR jump from resting 80 (or so) to 130-150 for an aerobic workout is a big jump so it feels so much harder at the start, do not know if its true or not.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:08 am

eeksll wrote:If I am planning a high intensity interval run, I like to warm up to the point where I feel like I am out of breath, stop and then start the high intensity training.

Another analogy/reason I have been told is the HR jump from resting 80 (or so) to 130-155 for an aerobic workout is a big jump so it feels so much harder at the start, do not know if its true or not.
THIS^^^^^, strange but I think this is right too, in my first run I am in a state of body shock, heart rate rises from 90bpm brisk walk to 155bpm jogging, my body is like WTHell (family friendly version :wink: ). But if I slow and recover and go again from 110bpm, recovery speed walk, to 157-162 bpm jogging, the transition is not such a shock. (it's great to have a HRM) I am starting to enjoy this now. NOT AS MUCH AS CYCLING THOUGH :oops: :lol:

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Update:
How am I doing, I HATE RUNNING, but I keep getting better!
I have dropped, cycling all but the Sunday jaunt with the wife.
I have skipped a few days with the storms but I was surprised at my running today, several PB’s. I live in a hilly area so I tend to zig zag around the estate avoiding them.
Now as far as diet goes, I have become very strict on my carbs reducing them to 30ish a day and feel much better for it. The strangest change was from a Liptons Green Tea with Mint half an hour before running, I seem to breathe much better.
I will be working on my speed sessions when I can run 5ks. I think that’s a mental issue though. I burn up real quick when running fast. It has helped my cycling a lot, climbing while standing and using the BIG RING tadaaa.
What are your homocysteine, cholesterol, uric acid, urea, HA1c levels like bro? Id say they would or will be pretty unhealthy eating that much animal products. As a personal trainer Id say SKIP the running until you get under 75kg. Stick with cycling and high carb low fat low protein plant based till then.

I rode 6190km on Strava in Jan. I hardly rode much at all last year. Still single digit body fat regardless of my activity level. Aint genetic either. Its DIET.

At your weight to be a decent cyclist runner you want to be at least 25kg lighter. The very foods you hate - steamed rice, pasta, fruit, corn, sugar etc are the very foods that will help you get there aka vegan high carb low fat foods. You are the same weight as my mother. I have this conversation over and over. She says 'Harley, HELP me lose weight BUT I don't want to live on pasta, rice, fruit and sugary low fat deserts like you do!'

face palm.

Trying to lose weight and keep it off AND be fit and healthy whilst eating low carb is like trying to clean a window with a brick. NOT POSSIBLE! :wink:

If you ate like me you would be running 34:19 for 10k eventually like I have recently. 2:45 for 1k too. Look after your health bro. Remember Dr Atkins died with heart disease and was obese at 258lbs.

If you want the diet for natural drug free energy and endurance then Id say 'take advice from those getting the results you desire'.
Vegan since 2001.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 pm

Update. Those of you who are following my trials and tribulations elsewhere on this forum will already know.

But to new thread hunters. My main issue was FITNESS. Although I have changed to a low fat/higher carb diet. Without a shadow of a doubt its fitness. I am now riding 2:30 at an average 28kph covering an undulating 70k's. It takes time... Good Luck.