Hand Pain - After riding

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Hand Pain - After riding

Postby derek594 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 am

Hi All,

I just wnated to see if I am alone with this issue or if anyone else has had experience and if so some answers to my questions.

After riding (normally 5-600klms) a months I get quite sore hands. Usually both hands are sore at the same time but I do have periods where my left will hurt and not my right. The area of pain is from the top knuckle on my little finger up to my wrist and extends about half of the way across to my thumb. The pain is hard to describe but it feels like a bruise. It is not sore to touch and does not stop me from doing things (grip can be a bit weak at times), it is like a dull ache.

I am not too sure if it has to do with the way I am resting my hands when riding and if this is due to my bike setup. Is it possible that this could be due to some rough roads while riding?

So if anyone has had any experience or has some suggestions please let me know.

Thanks Derek

derek594

by BNA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 am

BNA

Re: Hand Pain - After riding

Postby Howzat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 am

What type of bike are you riding?

Things to look for include having too much weight on the hands, which can be alleviated by adjusting the saddle position fore or aft (usually back a little to centre your weight), and possibly using a different size or angle on the stem. See also this thread on numbness in the fingers http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=60133
Howzat

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 am

It's always possible that you have some form of entrapment issue, but irrespective, it relates to the amount of pressure you put on your hands. Changing your bar height and reach ie. Less weight forward, may just sort your problem out.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby derek594 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

Howzat wrote:What type of bike are you riding?

Things to look for include having too much weight on the hands, which can be alleviated by adjusting the saddle position fore or aft (usually back a little to centre your weight), and possibly using a different size or angle on the stem. See also this thread on numbness in the fingers http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=60133

I ride a Kuota Kebel, it is only 4 months old. As best as I can remeber the pain has not been there the whole time I have had the bike. Initially I was very happy with the bike fit and had no pain (during or after ride). Over the last 4 months I have really increased the kilometres ridden, maybe there si a a relationship between improved fitness (ability to ride bigger gears for longer) and a change in my riding position. Reading the article from Steve Hogg was interesting, it says that if you are a toe dropper then that pushes you forward on the bike and increases the pressure on arms, shoulders, wrists etc. This is something (toe or heel dropper)I will try to monitor (bit hard whilst riding but might record myself on the trainer) and see if this is a possible cause.

I ride TDU next week so I am a bit reluctant to change things so close to a big ride, maybe I just put up with the pain for another week. I can always ice my hand with an Ice Cold Stubby :D

derek594

Return to Cycling Health