Riding with infection in leg?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Xplora

Riding with infection in leg?

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Well my prang has resulted in an infected lower leg. Not enough Dettol I guess :roll: Anyways, doc recommended not riding tomorrow. I crashed Tuesday, rested on the train on Wednesday, leg was hurting a bit yesterday but I rode to work anyway (20 each way, strong speeds) and leg hurt quite a bit more today (fluids rushing to the leg when I stand is quite painful).

I'm not riding Saturday but what about Monday? Would be looking at a century to catch up.

g-boaf

Re: Riding with infection in leg?

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 am

Jeez, everyone is in the wars! I'd probably not ride with it infected. The doctor is right.

Hope you mend soon. From your description of the pain, we are both dealing with identical issues, I get the same pain when I stand up, as everything rushes down the leg, you can feel it move. It's a stinging pain that eventually gets worse.

With that, my doctors are telling me to rest, keep the leg elevated as much as possible.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 am

What is the reason for elevation. ? I do have the identical diagnosis symptoms and treatment sigh. Pain got worse today, I am off to hospital if it is worse tomorrow. While I think the Paralympics is cool I would prefer to avoid qualifying.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 am

Supposedly reduces the swelling - because my foot is swollen too. It does go down a little, but the moment you get up, boom - pain again because of the swelling. I've been on Keflex and now the Amoxicillin Duo Forte and neither of them seem to be doing much good. They are treating my wounds with various things and finishing off with Flamazine.

They swabbed the infection yesterday and had it sent off. Maybe another lot of different drugs?

God luck with yours - mine has been like this since last Sunday, not getting better. And the pain will get worse.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 am

Xplora: More sweat won't do your healing any good. Legs up, antiseptic/AB and rest. You'll know when you can ride again. Control the id. ;)

G-boat: Given the time and persisting problems, you might have a drainable collection in there. If you have that, AB alone won't cure it. Ask.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:46 am

Xplora wrote:What is the reason for elevation. ? I do have the identical diagnosis symptoms and treatment sigh. Pain got worse today, I am off to hospital if it is worse tomorrow. While I think the Paralympics is cool I would prefer to avoid qualifying.

The swelling is your body trying to wall off the infected area.It rushes in extra cells to fight infection and remove the wastes causing swelling. This can progress to the point of doing the opposite by stopping healing by reducing the blood flow to the area.Elevation helps remedy this problem.
If your temperature starts to spike /sweats get to hospital the risk here is if the infection enters your blood stream and is transported elsewhere.
This can become life threatening take it seriously and reduce the time off the bike.
I hope you get better soon.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Drag. Definitely don't want to be taking stuff called Duo Forte. My kids are sick as well, what a drag of a long weekend :(

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Xplora wrote:Drag. Definitely don't want to be taking stuff called Duo Forte...

1st world problem. In third world without antibiotics, the leg goes gangrene and possibly kills. Just be thankful our health system is world leading and is there to help. :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Xplora wrote:Drag. Definitely don't want to be taking stuff called Duo Forte. My kids are sick as well, what a drag of a long weekend :(

The worst that could happen is that you lose the leg. ;) I might get some of the excess swelling drained from my leg, although that could get infected too. But it's worth a shot. My arm happily is completely healed.

Good luck with it.

Edit: mine appears to be now on the mend. Doctor didn't want to needle mine.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 am

Still off the bike. Finished the course of antibiotics. no improvement. Ultra sound said no hematoma. Swab at pathology... Waiting. Waiting. Really need to get on the bike again!!!!!!!!?!!!????!!!!!!'mnb

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 am

Try a different A/B. Pathogens out there are getting more varied.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Xplora wrote:Still off the bike. Finished the course of antibiotics. no improvement. Ultra sound said no hematoma. Swab at pathology... Waiting. Waiting. Really need to get on the bike again!!!!!!!!?!!!????!!!!!!'mnb

They might need to change the antibiotics - sometimes these things can get resistant. My should and arm are healed up, the leg is getting there finally. The leg got the worst of it - still a bit of muck, but nothing like it was.

When I started in Keflex, those did nothing. Had to be changed.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 pm

g-boaf wrote:They might need to change the antibiotics - sometimes these things can get resistant.

That's but one of a number of reasons for changing or supplementing antibiotics.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Doctor cleared me, riding tomorrow! WOOHOO!

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 am

Nice!