The Dreaded ITBS

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
kom123

The Dreaded ITBS

Postby kom123 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:28 pm

liotibial Tibial Band Syndrome - well that's the diagnosis after an MRI.

Keen to hear from anyone who has suffered or suffers from this condition.

How has that changed your approach to training and riding in general. All feedback welcome please :)

grantw

Re: The Dreaded ITBS

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 pm

I've had it, apart from physio, stretching/leg strengthening and the dreaded roller (tennis ball anyone :shock: ), I got a bike fit, ended up dropping my saddle height and began to focus on a smooth pedal stroke. I still get sloppy when tired, but the saddle height adjustment worked wonders.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:09 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=36522
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22607

Covered before. Quirk of the forum is words that are too small return nothing in the search, which you no doubt used and got no results from. :wink:

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm

you have gone to the effort of getting a MRI so you KNOW the problem.

Your next step should be to find the cause of the ITBS, if you suspect bike, go find a physio who knows bikes.

Once they/you have found the cause, you will probably have to do some exercises that strengthen something ... and do them :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:47 am

eeksll wrote:you have gone to the effort of getting a MRI so you KNOW the problem.

Your next step should be to find the cause of the ITBS, if you suspect bike, go find a physio who knows bikes.

Once they/you have found the cause, you will probably have to do some exercises that strengthen something ... and do them :)

do u know many physios who are good bikefitters? its funny, im in the game ( a little ) but i dont!
But spot on, and the OP will find this topic done to death here and on every other bike forum....

Crux of the issue is bikefit, and the 2 main issues are, 1) cleat/pedal interface; 2) saddle height (in that order - just IMO and im sure others will differ there)

These links have been done to death but have a read of steve hoggs stuff... some of its a bit esoteric and holistic, but that appeals to some. He nails all the basic principles well however and is obviously the guru of fit issues/diagnosis
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... knee-pain/

embee8

Postby embee8 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:28 pm

grantw wrote:I've had it, apart from physio, stretching/leg strengthening and the dreaded roller (tennis ball anyone :shock: ), I got a bike fit, ended up dropping my saddle height and began to focus on a smooth pedal stroke. I still get sloppy when tired, but the saddle height adjustment worked wonders.

+1 ... exactly my prognosis. Physio, lot's of stretching morning and night. Roller. Spiky ball (oooh, that hurt's so good :lol: ). Bike fit and also had seat dropped about 14mm.

Now working with physio on weekly pilates classes and home exercises. Aiming to increase glute strength as well as hammy strength. This way I shouldn't work too hard on the lower back and therefore ITB.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:32 pm

embee8 wrote:
grantw wrote:I've had it, apart from physio, stretching/leg strengthening and the dreaded roller (tennis ball anyone :shock: ), I got a bike fit, ended up dropping my saddle height and began to focus on a smooth pedal stroke. I still get sloppy when tired, but the saddle height adjustment worked wonders.

+1 ... exactly my prognosis. Physio, lot's of stretching morning and night. Roller. Spiky ball (oooh, that hurt's so good :lol: ). Bike fit and also had seat dropped about 14mm.

Now working with physio on weekly pilates classes and home exercises. Aiming to increase glute strength as well as hammy strength. This way I shouldn't work too hard on the lower back and therefore ITB.

Sounds like all the right stuff :-)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:do u know many physios who are good bikefitters?

unfortunately I do not.

My ITBS was solved through stablising my hip. I was ITBS free for a long while with no stretching/roller work and maintaining my riding load. However, after starting up running ....

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 am

eeksll wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:do u know many physios who are good bikefitters?

unfortunately I do not.

My ITBS was solved through stablising my hip. I was ITBS free for a long while with no stretching/roller work and maintaining my riding load. However, after starting up running ....

Hmmm running is evil ;-)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:23 am

Yep, that's me. Kicked in after starting running after 15 year break. Poor stability in hips and no glutes is my issue. Spent a lot of time with my physio and still having good and bad days. I'm guessing I still have a long way to go. It has also made me change my running style somewhat which is a good thing...long term. Short term, it's been bloody annoying.

I chose a physio who, while not being a bike fitter, works next door to WAIS and sees a wide variety of sporty folk. I've got complete trust in her which is more than I can say for other physios I've been to. For me, that's pretty important.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:do u know many physios who are good bikefitters? its funny, im in the game ( a little ) but i dont!

Yep I do, but he is in Perth and I'm seeing him on Thursday. Damian Oldmeadow. I've wondered why I've never had ITBS and reading on stevehoggs site I twigged OHH my stretching I do after a ride stretches the ITBS as well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:do u know many physios who are good bikefitters? its funny, im in the game ( a little ) but i dont!

Yep I do, but he is in Perth and I'm seeing him on Thursday. Damian Oldmeadow. I've wondered why I've never had ITBS and reading on stevehoggs site I twigged OHH my stretching I do after a ride stretches the ITBS as well

Good to hear... Tbh tho, your setup must be pretty good (testament to yr physio?), as if it's not U could stretch all day, and still have ITBS

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:31 pm

I was initially setup by Churchill Cycles over here in Perth. It was really good and I've done over 300km rides. I do have a few problems tho.
Hand numbs not every ride, but say second-third ride. And now bursitis in my frontfoot so I'm seeing Damian Oldmeadow to get cleats sort out and hopefully my hands.
Take this for example
1000km tour. This is the ride I twigged what was happening.
Got numb first day
Second day not
third day not
forth day yes
firth day yes
six day nope
seven day nope
eight day yep
nine day nope
Days I was getting numb, I was trying to get the numbing out so flicking my hands. So the flicking of my hands got rid of the numbing and stopped it for the next day as well. I've had a physio massage my hand and no problems for 2 weeks so there is something there.

The stretches I do have come from when I was at the gym and had a personal trainer. All those stretches I carried from that was stretching my ITBS already.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:17 pm

He should be able to easily take some weight out of your hands and get rid on the P&Ns

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Take care with the bursitis, it's a world of pain. I'd be looking into some new shoes.