Protein Powder issues

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: Protein Powder issues

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:42 pm

twizzle wrote:
durianrider wrote:[If your diabetic you want to read Dr Barnards book. Your watts per kg will go thru the roof. Im sure if I can ride literally over 210 000km with no protein powder you will be ok doing 1000k a month. ;)
If you'd bothered to read the thread properly (hang on... do you ever?) you would have picked up the bit about the HepA diagnosis.
Vegan cures HepA now. Didn't you know? :wink: :roll:

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:15 pm

you know what causes the problem. just stop taking the crap.
i dont see the issue. understanding why will be a costly and time consuming ordeal, which wont change the end result...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 pm

The OP's question was "why".

Sent from my iThingy...

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

It could be whatever they put in "protein powder" that's giving you the reaction. Dump it.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 pm

scotto wrote:you know what causes the problem. just stop taking the crap.
i dont see the issue. understanding why will be a costly and time consuming ordeal, which wont change the end result...
Well, the OP found out about HepA, I guess it was worth pursuing?

eightsixboy

Postby eightsixboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:41 pm

durianrider wrote:Protein powder is a waste of health and money.

Get rid of it. Get leaner as a result.

Why do you need to supplement protein? Are you one of those vegan nutters? ;)

I know a vegan that has the most strava KOM's in Adelaide. Vegan for 12 years with no protein supplements. Must be on EPO I reckon.

Not to be rude but you sound very misinformed in your views.

A decent protein powder is almost essential after any strenuous activity, in terms of muscle recovery and rebuilding its very important. Unless you can eat a chicken or steak meal straight after a big ride your muscles are crying for protein to recover, and in almost all people Ive seen with there diets they do not get enough from normal eating. Having less protein has nothing to do with getting leaner, eating less fat or bad carbs will do more to lean out while retaining muscle size.

I have protein shakes everyday due to weight training and also now cycling, I fell very crap after a ride or weight session without a whey isolate protein shake.

If the op is having issues with the protein shake its either to do with an intolerance to whey or gluten. Or it could be the brand that is been used is full of fillers and there a reaction to that. I buy just pure protein, I wouldn;t touch any of the crap that GNC or whoever sell, there all full or sugars and fillers and make you fat.

I would suggest going to a vitamin store and buying a pure protein (QMA is a brand), if you still have reactions to that then maybe you should get checked for celiac disease.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Agreed 100% mate

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Wife's a gym junkie and forgot to take a protein shake that she normal uses after a weights session.
She was sore th e next day, unlike her.
They help recovery and are a key part to good gym work or any decent exercise.

She likes protowhey as its a sweeter WPI shake but there are others with less sugars

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm

eightsixboy wrote: If the op is having issues with the protein shake its either to do with an intolerance to whey or gluten. ...
Or maybe is was the HepA that was discovered with further testing.

Sent from my iThingy...