Is it ITBS?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Is it ITBS?

Postby YouAgainstMe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 am

Hey all,

Several weeks ago I had my saddle to far back and moved it forward to where it was meant to be after riding home and cooling off I got right knee lateral pain. I tried moving saddle forward back up down and different cleat positions but about 15km into every ride it was flaring up again. So I took a week off while I waited on a new saddle to arrive and thought it best to let it recover.

Fast forward to today and 15km in my knee has flared up again. The pain is very specific and seems to be over the lateral condyle. Which leads me to think it may actually be ITBS and not position? Does anyone on here get it and how do you fix it?? I read in another thread that I can use a foam roller to help stretch it out? It's pretty shattering because after each short ride I'm having to take a week off...
YouAgainstMe

by BNA » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:30 pm

BNA

Re: Is it ITBS?

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:30 pm

My physio gave me these two variations of stretches for my ITB (I have had to google similar images):

(First image is for the right leg)
Instructions are here (stretch #3)

and

(note, this one shows left leg)
Instructions here (stretch #1)

Good luck with it, very annoying.
coffeeandwine

Postby YouAgainstMe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:46 am

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. How often are you meant to do those stretches? and did you find they helped much?
YouAgainstMe

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 am

There is alot of stuff on ITBS on the forums, especially with respect to treatment and stretching. The most important thing to nut out before it becomes a chronic thing is getting your cleat fit, along with your bike position perfect. I would suggest once u get recurrent pain on rides its time to enlist the help of a professional to fit u, as once your ITB gets chronically thickened and scarred up from repeated friction, there's usually little cure.
Dr_Mutley

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I like this one;

Push away the knee on the leg that is crossed over laterally (left in pic) and bring the other knee (right in this pic) back toward the torso.
warthog1

Postby scotto » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 pm

this works a treat

scotto

Postby warthog1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:32 am

scotto wrote:this works a treat

Just had a go of the one where he is laying face down starting in the push up position, works well thanks.
warthog1

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah, stretching can help, but you really need to look at the cause of the issue - most commonly weak glutes. Single leg squats with good form, forward/back lunges etc. Also, tight hip flexors and TFL affects me, so I stretch these too.

If you google "best damn it band stretch" you'll get good results for stretches. Be careful though as I found one that felt great, but my physio spent 15 minutes withme reviewing it and telling me how although it helps 1 component of what hurts me, but not the other contributing factors like weak glutes.

Personally, I'd see a sports physio to determine cause and not just treat with stretching.
moosterbounce

Postby durianrider » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:24 pm

What caused the ITB flare up in the first place. THATS what you want to focus on.

Invest some $ in a proper bike fit. Mark any reference point that could slip like cleats, seat angle, height etc.

Make sure your heels when pedalling are the same angle when you stand relaxed ie heels in or heels out. I had one mate booked in for surgery on his knee then I said 'lets go for a ride'. I pointed out that his left heal pointed away from his frame yet when he stood relaxed his left heel pointed in. We moved his cleat back to where it originally was and marked it with a white out pen. He cancelled his surgery and that was 8 years ago.

ALWAYS treat the cause vs the symptom.
durianrider

Return to Cycling Health