Fluid Tablets?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Fluid Tablets?

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:32 am

I am on these to try and get rid of the swelling in my LHS ankle, leg and thigh. Do these cause you to dehydrate at all and how do that actually work? :?

Only taking one in the morning and piddle around six times in an hour and a half. :shock: Then the rest of the day is all good, so that is a bonus. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

by BNA » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 am

BNA

Re: Fluid Tablets?

Postby petie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 am

Depends which tablet you are on, different diuretics work in different ways. Theoretically they can dehydrate you but then you have been prescribed them because someone thinks you have excess fluid around...

Sounds like you are responding well to your dose though:lol:
petie

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:23 am

The one I'm taking is = Frusemide 40mg.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Venus62 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:54 am

Frusemide is a very common diuretic. It can cause potassium levels to drop though. Maybe eat a banana or two while you're taking them!
Venus62

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Ok thanks I'll go and get some. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby petie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Frusemide is a loop diuretic, it works on the proximal and distal tubule and loop of henle in your kidneys. It inhibits the reuptake of certain ions which keeps the extra fluid going out rather than sneaking back in. Half-life is about 2 hours, so factoring in metabolism the duration would be 4-6 hours.

Definitely eat a banana or two, especially if you're cycling long distances or high intensity. But doing go too nuts replacing electrolytes, your prescriber has started you on this for a reason and will check them and replace them if they think it's necessary!
petie

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:03 pm

You swearing at me Petie, with some of those words I think you are. :shock: :lol:

As I said in my first post, I have swelling in my ankle and that goes back up my shin. Plus I have fluid trapped between muscle and fat layer on my left thigh = 180mm x 50mm and we cannot workout why. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Return to Cycling Health