Bar end plugs

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Bar end plugs

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 pm

Yes, this a health warning! :oops:

Went for a night mtb ride with AUBicycles tonight at Terrey Hills, and had a stupid off. Got a bit baulked by the guy in front as we encountered a puddle the full width of the trail and had to suddenly go from two-abreast at pace to trackstand-slow single file though the shallower-looking side of the puddle next to the trees.

It seems i found a rock hidden in the puddle. It turned the front wheel, the bike slipped in the goop and I landed square on the end of the handlebar. Hurt like blazes and I had to sit down while I figured out if I had busted a rib. (I hadn't :) )

The moral of the story is those bar plugs that come with your grips are there for a reason. If it breaks, get a new one. If I hadn't had one, chances are I'd not be here talking to you now.

Time for a new ice-pack...
trailgumby

by BNA » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 am

BNA

Re: Bar end plugs

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 am

Bar end plugs are mandatory on race bikes. I've heard of horrible backyard biopsies performed during crashes.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 am

Heal well.

Plus one for plugs, especially on kids bikes and scooters, I see plenty of kids gear without them scooters probbly have the most risk. I've fitted a couple to the neighbours kids gear too.

The plastic ones are cheap, I added a couple of sets to my last online order for about $1 each pair so Ive got some spares.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:16 am

Did you fall or were you pushed ? :D
find_bruce

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 am

Yeah, I'm alright. Thanks for your well wishes. :D

I completed the ride and thought I might be able to ride in to work today, but was still a bit sore this morning. But I'll be good in a couple of days

trailgumby

Postby TraceyG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

+1 It was landing on the bar end that put me out of the Great Vic Bike Ride last year and that was with a plug! Without the plug - who knows?
TraceyG

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:52 am

Poor TG. Like me, not enough time between accidents. It seems MTB is better suited to youth with their rubbery bones, quicker reflexes and faster healing times. :)

A colleague at my work many years ago got a scooter from a relative/friend for free for his son, but it didn't have plugs. As they were walking it back to the car, the son tripped and fell on the bar which went through the roof of his mouth. Besides the obvious distress, it ended up costing him a lot of money for the best available surgeon to fix the problem.

I don't do much MTBing anymore, but when I did, I was on the steepest part of my local ride (traction is hit and miss). I had a wheel spin, quickly followed by a clip stack. My upper thigh somehow fell on the end of the bar (which had a plug, but also was extra fat due to the Ergon grips) and was literally screaming in pain. (Fortunately it was isolated and no-one could hear me. :oops:) It took about a week to recover, but it was OK in the end. If this scenario was with standard grips with no bar end, I could have been in serious trouble.
Nobody

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Always plugged, I still remember from my childhood the scar on me aunty Lyn's belly where she took a core sample of her guts as a kid. Sometimes the practical lessons are best.

Glad you got away with it comparatively unscathed Gumby. :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Cycling Health