Weight loss through cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: Weight loss through cycling

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I have a female friend who is literally addicted to one of the most "chemically" products around... Diet Coke. She drinks close to 4 liters a day... No other fluids whatsoever :-( . She isn't skinny ( nor is she obese ) .
Yipes! This is where judging someone's health by assessing their body fat % visually really falls down. 4L a day of a nutritionless, chemical laden, carbonated drink can't be healthy. One wonders what long term damage it is doing to her internal organs.
<removed by request>

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:37 pm

toolonglegs wrote: She drinks close to 4 liters a day... No other fluids whatsoever
Dangerous game psychologically. ("I do diet drinks, so I can reward myself with normal food." The amount consumed would suggest flawed judgment - even obsession of some sort.)

And possibly dangerous healthwise, FDA clearances notwithstanding.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:42 pm

clackers wrote:
toolonglegs wrote: She drinks close to 4 liters a day... No other fluids whatsoever
Dangerous game psychologically. ("I do diet drinks, so I can reward myself with normal food." The amount consumed would suggest flawed judgment - even obsession of some sort.)

And possibly dangerous healthwise, FDA clearances notwithstanding.
I dont' think the FDA clearances envisaged an individual consuming ~4L/day. Probably fine as a one off but day after day, month after month? I would rate that as a high risk behaviour. :shock:
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 pm

it is addictive... luckily I hate the stuff.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:37 pm

AIS dietitians are definitely against diet drinks. They say there's published and anecdotal data showing over time, sugar cravings increase, and weight gain is more likely. When an athlete comes off the drink, sugar cravings reduce and they lose weight.

It's worst effect imho is what it's acid pH does to teeth.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 pm

winstonw wrote:AIS dietitians are definitely against diet drinks. They say there's published and anecdotal data showing over time, sugar cravings increase, and weight gain is more likely. When an athlete comes off the drink, sugar cravings reduce and they lose weight.

It's worst effect imho is what it's acid pH does to teeth.
Yeah! I was thinking that too. With ~4L a day... what are her teeth like? or, if they are fine now, what will they be like if she keeps it up?
<removed by request>

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:41 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: Yeah! I was thinking that too. With ~4L a day... what are her teeth like? or, if they are fine now, what will they be like if she keeps it up?
Obviously better than 4 litres of regular soft drink, since the bacteria have nothing to eat, but still, water would be better.

Carbonated if she misses the fizz. :smile:

vander

Postby vander » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Diet soft drinks are just as likely to cause metabolic disease as regular soft drinks, I read a study on it a while back, they are quite bad for you.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I tried something different today in Melbourne's windy/wet weather - I went for a run !! First time in 3 years ... Last time I tried (3 years back) I had no aerobic capacity and sore knees. I also weighed an extra 7-8 kg.

After 3 years and about 25000 kms of riding I had no problem jogging 3.5 kms in 22 minutes. Barely blew a candle out at the end and knees stood up perfectly.

This is great news for me as I used to run a lot (years ago ... ) and quite enjoyed it before sedentary job/lifestyle and a bad knee stopped me. I don't plan on running too much but hope to use 3-5 km runs a few times a week to fill the gaps between riding - and hopefully it will help me drop a few more kgs in the process. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 am

cyclotaur wrote:I tried something different today in Melbourne's windy/wet weather - I went for a run !! First time in 3 years ... Last time I tried (3 years back) I had no aerobic capacity and sore knees. I also weighed an extra 7-8 kg.

After 3 years and about 25000 kms of riding I had no problem jogging 3.5 kms in 22 minutes. Barely blew a candle out at the end and knees stood up perfectly.

This is great news for me as I used to run a lot (years ago ... ) and quite enjoyed it before sedentary job/lifestyle and a bad knee stopped me. I don't plan on running too much but hope to use 3-5 km runs a few times a week to fill the gaps between riding - and hopefully it will help me drop a few more kgs in the process. :wink:
Haha, you fared far better than me. I missed a whole week of rides, so treated myself to a run as penance.

I've tried to make myself run a bit in the last few years, which means I've done about half a dozen runs in that time. So running isn't completely foreign to me, but I'm far from run-fit.

So, I ended up doing 7.5km in a bit over 40 minutes.

Noticeably less jiggling and wobbling than last time I ran, which is nice :oops:

All good fitness-wise... heart and lungs... but running-specific muscles and joints were struggling a bit.

Biggest problem while running was chafing on the arches of my feet, which blistered. I could feel it happening from about the turn-around point, and decided to ignore it and deal with the consequences. Meh, blisters. Had 'em before, will have 'em again. No biggy.

Biggest problem post-running is... everything :lol: . A day and a half later, and I am still very stiff and sore, especially in the legs and arse. I've had the delayed-onset muscle soreness thing before, but this started pretty much immediately I cooled down. I stretched before and after, having found that improved recovery on previous runs, but yeah, I'm aching and walking like an arthritic cowboy. A little bit sore in the chest and shoulders too.

I think my muscular soreness is mostly down to the effort needed to stabilise joints. I've got the strength and power in (most of) the relevant muscle groups in my legs and glutes from riding, but they're not accustomed to having to hold the joints in position. So I guess a bit of running would do them good.

The most disturbing thing is... I actually quite enjoy swimming. And obviously I ride bikes. If I were to start running with any real frequency, I'll have to be very careful what combination of activities I do... or else... *shudder*... I dare not even speak its name. Please shoot me if I ever have a race number written in texta on my shoulder.

tim

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:29 pm

barefoot wrote:Biggest problem post-running is... everything :lol: . A day and a half later, and I am still very stiff and sore, especially in the legs and arse. I've had the delayed-onset muscle soreness thing before, but this started pretty much immediately I cooled down. I stretched before and after, having found that improved recovery on previous runs, but yeah, I'm aching and walking like an arthritic cowboy. A little bit sore in the chest and shoulders too.
Same here, but I just went for a 40km ride to even it out... still sore in the legs though. A little stretching and walking now required I'd say.
barefoot wrote: The most disturbing thing is... I actually quite enjoy swimming. And obviously I ride bikes. If I were to start running with any real frequency, I'll have to be very careful what combination of activities I do... or else... *shudder*... I dare not even speak its name. Please shoot me if I ever have a race number written in texta on my shoulder.
Hah ! After I gave up running years ago I took up swimming at lunchtime instead and, yes, quite enjoyed it. I have a few ancient school swim trophies so not so bad in the wet stuff either, but .... I have never mixed swimming and/or running and/or cycling on the same day. That's just not on ! :lol:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 pm

I wear Vibram FiveFingers everywhere, and people always ask me if I run in them.

I always say - I am a cyclist. We only run when being chased, and only fast enough to avoid being caught. (Thank You, VeloMinati!)
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:04 pm

<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Plenty of sugar in my diet... absolutely zero added though. Zero added anything for that matter.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I tried something different today in Melbourne's windy/wet weather - I went for a run !! First time in 3 years ... Last time I tried (3 years back) I had no aerobic capacity and sore knees. I also weighed an extra 7-8 kg.
I've tried some running this year, with no previous experience. Did a 10km trail event along the Yarra at Kew, then 12km in Plenty Gorge, and will be attempting 15 at Silvan on Sunday.

Like I say, I've been a couch potato nearly all my life, not a runner, so this cycling thing can build your fitness for other activities, no matter what some other people might say!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:15 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Plenty of sugar in my diet... absolutely zero added though. Zero added anything for that matter.
Based on my experience, I can't correlate sugar that is naturally occurring in foods such as fruit and vegetables with processed foods containing sugar. For example, if I ate an apple I would feel full for a certain amount of time. If I ate the equivalent calories in an apple muffin, I would feel hungry a lot sooner. Actually, double or triple the amount of calories in the apple muffin and I would still be hungry sooner. There is something wrong with that.
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 pm

I am trying to do a bit of jogging as well ... 2 or 3 times round the rugby field and I pay for it for days... last time I ran though was in 1994 when I was playing rugby in France, did ankle ligaments for the 3rd or 4th time and gave up. For twenty years it didn't matter... but now I realize how trucked my body is :| . Last year I payed big time for the tiny amounts of running I have to do in CX races, hopefully can turn that around a little bit this year.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:23 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Plenty of sugar in my diet... absolutely zero added though. Zero added anything for that matter.
Based on my experience, I can't correlate sugar that is naturally occurring in foods such as fruit and vegetables with processed foods containing sugar. For example, if I ate an apple I would feel full for a certain amount of time. If I ate the equivalent calories in an apple muffin, I would feel hungry a lot sooner. Actually, double or triple the amount of calories in the apple muffin and I would still be hungry sooner. There is something wrong with that.
No fibre?... I have already had 35 grams of fibre for breakfast... all I feel like doing is going to the "office" :lol:

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I am trying to do a bit of jogging as well ... 2 or 3 times round the rugby field and I pay for it for days... last time I ran though was in 1994 when I was playing rugby in France, did ankle ligaments for the 3rd or 4th time and gave up. For twenty years it didn't matter... but now I realize how trucked my body is :| . Last year I payed big time for the tiny amounts of running I have to do in CX races, hopefully can turn that around a little bit this year.
As a CX rider myself 8) I'd love to say I'm adding running in order to compete in CX but ....no. :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:08 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I am trying to do a bit of jogging as well ... 2 or 3 times round the rugby field and I pay for it for days... last time I ran though was in 1994 when I was playing rugby in France, did ankle ligaments for the 3rd or 4th time and gave up. For twenty years it didn't matter... but now I realize how trucked my body is :| . Last year I payed big time for the tiny amounts of running I have to do in CX races, hopefully can turn that around a little bit this year.
As a CX rider myself 8) I'd love to say I'm adding running in order to compete in CX but ....no. :lol:
We can only try :lol: ...last season wasn't too bad except for a couple of courses which had ditch jumps or big step ups, I fatigued very quickly on them during an hour race. This year I am skipping doing the TT's ( TT season here is September ) to concentrate on CX. Hoping to do a bit better this year... plus it is the only thing that keeps me motivated in winter.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Oh stop it you sKinny little waif :) What are you down too?
Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Oh

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Marty Moose wrote:
Oh stop it you sKinny little waif :) What are you down too?
Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Oh
Plateaued a bit to be honest, still sitting at 92... but I have shrunk a bit as well, actually shrunk quite a lot on the waist and my thighs have dropped below 60cms for the first time ever, usually they don't budge from 60 ever!.
School holidays makes it hard to do the km's!... but not too worried about the weight, the key is not to put any back on!. If I can hold this weight till CX season starts I will already be a lot lighter than last year... but fingers crossed I can lose another 3 or 4 in the next 5 weeks.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:09 am

My most regular cycling mate was 91.5kg 5 weeks ago. He's lost 6.5kg as of yesterday, thanks to a 1500 Calorie diet.
That rate is a little high, but he feels comfortable and his riding has improved, so lean tissue loss has not outpaced power to weight ratio.
The point is weight loss is a cert when you stick to a known energy intake, that is less than your energy expenditure.
IME, people trying to lose weight who don't, have little idea how much energy they consume.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 am

winstonw wrote:My most regular cycling mate was 91.5kg 5 weeks ago. He's lost 6.5kg as of yesterday, thanks to a 1500 Calorie diet.
That rate is a little high, but he feels comfortable and his riding has improved, so lean tissue loss has not outpaced power to weight ratio.
The point is weight loss is a cert when you stick to a known energy intake, that is less than your energy expenditure.
IME, people trying to lose weight who don't, have little idea how much energy they consume.
Disgraced sports medico Michele Ferrari will always be associated with proliferating EPO, but the cyclists also remember him for his watts to kilogram obsession.

He was forever cajoling and taunting them into losing five more kilos - the Alex Perry of his day. :grin:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 am

I should elaborate that my mate often does >>2000 Calorie rides i.e.
this weekend over two days, 400km return trip Brisbane to Kin Kin north of Noosa, via Mt Mee and Kennilworth.
last Saturday 120km 2500m brisbane to wivenhoe dam via Mt Glorious and return same way.
last Wednesday (public hol in Bris) the same wivenhoe dam ride.

I adjust his diet to keep the Calorie deficit no greater than 1000 Cals each ride day, and allow for pre carb loading and post glycogen store replacement. I had a long chat with a very experienced dietitian on the weekend who said she wouldn't know how to do such calculations. :cry: