Weight loss through cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
winstonw

Re: Weight loss through cycling

Postby winstonw » Fri May 24, 2013 7:33 am

toolonglegs wrote:
winstonw wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:1 yoga class per week,...
yawn...
:?
I was doing hatha yoga when I was 10. yawn... If you do it regularly TLL, why do you need to go to a 'class' every week?

I'll actually be doing mindful stretching with breath control, which includes some Yoga asanas, but more calisthenic stretching popularized by Sue Becker in the 60s. Though she's been forgotten because she didn't pedal her wares in an esoteric and trendy wrapping. There's a lot of Yoga that is just downright dangerous for aging bodies. Sue had an athletic pedigree and had taken the best from Yoga and mixed it with the best from sports training.

The relevant thing to this thread is it won't be burning a lot of Calories, but will be helping to relax the body and balance the autonomic nervous system.

skull

Postby skull » Fri May 24, 2013 8:10 am

Serious question Winston. You mentioned clients are you a dietition?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Fri May 24, 2013 8:19 am

matagi wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: It's not just the food though, it's food availability. Food is ubiquitious. Almost everywhere I go now there is ready to eat food available at all hours of the day or night. And people are eating it. I walk around town and see people stuffing food into their faces at all times of the day and night. It's like they can't stand feeling even a little bit hungry. Go to the movies and in the quiet spots it sounds like a paddock in there. It's a little bit disgusting :evil:
I know what you mean.

I find it interesting that people can't seem to manage even a one hour aeroplane flight without eating.
There was something on the telly last week where a girl was talking about food consumption and why some people are more prone to weight gain than others.

The Doctor she was talking showed how "normal" people eat, get satisfied then stop eating until a few hours later when they are hungry again. i.e. it peaks and troughs throughout the day.
Obese people eat, don't get satisfied and so eat again, and again. He showed how they never have the highs and lows of hunger satisfaction so just continually graze.

Coupled with what you have pointed out above regarding the availability of food these days, it makes it very difficult for people with weight issues to lose it.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 24, 2013 11:01 am

I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri May 24, 2013 12:06 pm

skull wrote:Serious question Winston. You mentioned clients are you a dietition?

No, I am educated as a physio and physiologist, and have post grad qualifications in nutrition. I work primarily as a physiotherapist but address all aspects of human physiology to assist in high performance and longevity.

I have clients who have seen dietitians but are still unable to plan appropriate energy intake for variable energy expenditure, as this is something many dietitians do not prioritize teaching or addressing. I will also advise clients how to attain a goal weight by a fixed date, as for making competition weight for a specific event. This is something many dietitians do not do well, as their training is not exhaustive in estimating energy expenditure.

skull

Postby skull » Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 pm

I always find I miss calculate energy requirements when doing ling stuff.

I either over eat get bloated and suffer stomach cramps or go too less, bonk and end up a shambles.

Same with hydration, I either drink to much and need to we ever 10min or don't drink enough and go to cramp town.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 24, 2013 1:02 pm

winstonw wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:My top tips to go from obese->normal weight based on my experience are:
* change your expectations, if it took 10 years to put the weight on, don't expect it to dissapear in a month
* reduce portion sizes
* eat more slowly and chew your food properly
* cut back on refined carbs (especially flour and sugar)
* more vegetables (I prefer sweet potato)
* adequate fat (I prefer coconut)
The people I deal with are not happy with the above recommendations.
They want to lose weight at a medically safe rate, at a reasonable pace.
That's good for them. It would be interesting to see how they are doing 5 years later. All of the studies I have read indicate that up to 95% will have gained back all their original weight plus more.
winstonw wrote:"reducing portions" could mean anything. reduce by how much? There's too much hit and miss and doubt in the dieter's mind. When a dieter starts to have strong hunger pangs, as they invariably do when starting off, they will question whether they reduced their portions too much. This is where a diet of a known number of Calories (1200/1500) with specific portion sizes instills confidence when hunger hits; especially when the person's energy expenditure has been estimated and a specific Calorie deficit established.
Uhh, yeah. That's because they are tips, not a diet plan and not suitable for a clinical setting.
winstonw wrote:One doesn't have to Calorie count if the counting has already been done in the form of a diet plan.
And for most, they want the weight off at a reasonable clip, 0.5-1.0kg/week.
That's why tip number 1 is "change your expectations". I have found that people are happy to eat themselves into obesity for decades and then want fast weight loss. It doesn't work like that. If you don't take the time to learn how to live sustainably you will wind up fat again. Up to 95% of dieters do.
winstonw wrote:Seeing the weight come off at a reasonable pace empowers dieters. They realize "wow, it is all about the math". If weight loss is slow, doubt creeps in re whether they are doing things right, or as good as they could.
This all comes back to expectations management. People have an urealistic concept of how lasting weight loss works and set goals that are far too short... one day, one week, one month. How about 1 year, 5 year and 10 year goals? Weight loss should be the result of the healthy lifestyle, not the goal. If weight loss is your goal then your priorities are wrong.
winstonw wrote:Anyway, this is all in the literature.
Sure is. Mostly, diets fail in the long term. It's all in the literature.
In sum, there is little support for the notion that diets lead to lasting weight loss or health benefits.
http://mann.bol.ucla.edu/files/Diets_don't_work.pdf

[EDIT: minor typos]
Last edited by casual_cyclist on Fri May 24, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Gerry.M wrote:
matagi wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: It's not just the food though, it's food availability. Food is ubiquitious. Almost everywhere I go now there is ready to eat food available at all hours of the day or night. And people are eating it. I walk around town and see people stuffing food into their faces at all times of the day and night. It's like they can't stand feeling even a little bit hungry. Go to the movies and in the quiet spots it sounds like a paddock in there. It's a little bit disgusting :evil:
I know what you mean.

I find it interesting that people can't seem to manage even a one hour aeroplane flight without eating.
There was something on the telly last week where a girl was talking about food consumption and why some people are more prone to weight gain than others.

The Doctor she was talking showed how "normal" people eat, get satisfied then stop eating until a few hours later when they are hungry again. i.e. it peaks and troughs throughout the day.
Obese people eat, don't get satisfied and so eat again, and again. He showed how they never have the highs and lows of hunger satisfaction so just continually graze.
I have been obese and have experienced the same with no highs and lows of hunger and just eaten contiuously but not felt satisifed. I found that it was the type of food I was eating more than anything else that caused this. A switch to eating different food changed how I felt after eating and this effect has lasted for more than a year. So, if I eat a low fat, low protein, low calories lunch, I will be hungry an hour later... duh! However, if boost up the fat and protein I won't be hungry until dinner time. From the experience of a formerly obese person, I found a great description of how I used to feel several times a day except for the headaches...

"fatigue, weakness, stomach cramps, tremors, irritability and headaches"

Feeling weak, light-headed and shaky is horrible and by the time I got to that point I would eat anything to make the feeling go away. Since I have never felt these symptoms again after switching to eating more whole foods and less processed foods I feel that these feelings are more related to food than genetics. There is research to back up my theory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joel-fuhr ... 89980.html
<removed by request>

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri May 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Shut your mouth for a while, shrink your stomach so it does not grow and require large amounts of food.
stick to a well balanced diet. It is the temptation of nice attractive foods, Food is addictive. End of story.

It's hard but no secrets no magic, Just stop eating so much. :roll:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Fri May 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Based on personal experience, I believe there are as many ways in which the body processes and uses nutrition as there are environmental/societal/family groups.

I have struggled with weight issues my entire life; including a bout of near anorexia in my early to mid twenties. Food energy values still influence what and when I eat.

I have always eaten on the lean healthy side; using home-made non-pre-processed food, mainly because I don't trust the ingredients in a lot of processed foods and also can't be bothered to read the tiny, tiny writing on the packaging to be able to make an informed decison.

Despite eating properly, since my mid 30s there has been steady 1-2kg weight gain per year (right on medically forecast trend) until 2010 when suddenly and inexplicably in 3 weeks I lost 17kg (back to my early 30s weight). Since then with no effort, and with no change in diet, my weight has stayed steady and fluctuates at most 1-2kg up and down.

The GP has ruled out any medical cause. I only took up bike riding in Feb 2012 (so 2 years after my weight loss), and apart from my bike trips have never exercised. I haven't lost or gained any more weight from the riding. Just toned up. I average around 60km/week doing shopping, cycling to social events etc. Bike has become the city car.

My theory for my weight loss is environmental. Around the time I lost weight, we had just returned from a 4 week holiday in Europe - Denmark, Germany, Switzerland and finally Italy.

I believe that somewhere in that trip I was exposed to gut-flora that has changed the way my digestive processes work. Everything about my digestive system seems to have kick started. I now actually feel hunger, as my stomach is emptying between meals. Bowel habits have improved (I used to be a once a weeker, now around every 2 days, which believe me is luxury compared to previous discomfort). Surprisingly I also have more energy.

I think nutrition is such a complex subject that it will never be fully understood, and why I get so nervous with all the scientific meddling that is going on in the food chain with genetic engineering, propholactic antibiotics etc in animal husbandry.

I think it is simplistic to look at someone who is overweight in today's world and assume their nutrition is bad or that they have no self-control. I have friends who've lived their entire lives "on diet" as it were (as I do), that still struggle with weight issues. I have other friends who can literally put anything in their mouths, and copious quantities thereof, and never seem to change weight. Observationally, one common charaacteristic seems to be body shape. My more straight-up-and-down-narrow-hipped lady friends seem to remain on the lean side, while the ones with a greater hip-to-waist-to-bust ratio a'la Jane Mansfield are the ones who tend to have weight issues. One of my leaner friends also feel the cold a lot more, and I think uses a lot of energy trying to maintain core body temperature. So I also think genetics has a part to play.

My preference is to not get too precious about the science, but to stick to nutritious home-prepared meals using a variety of seasonal natural ingredients.

Eat healthy to stay healthy, and the rest should look after itself.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Intestinal flora is a huge unknown - and what you feed it can have catastrophic consequences. My digestive system went nuts post antibiotics. It required a duodenal biopsy to see the damage to the small intestine, and it's never really recovered. My advice is: don't allow unprocessed sugars beyond the small intestine!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 28, 2013 10:03 am

skull wrote:I always find I miss calculate energy requirements when doing ling stuff.

I either over eat get bloated and suffer stomach cramps or go too less, bonk and end up a shambles.

Same with hydration, I either drink to much and need to we ever 10min or don't drink enough and go to cramp town.

When I go out for a long ride Im so full when I leave the house I almost can't breath. I never bonk.
When I get on the bike at 5am for a 25min hill TT I only have a date and a sip of water so nothing is in my stomach that is diverting blood from the legs and lungs. Im back home for breakfast and water before an hour is up.

So you have to be realistic. You WILL be bloated if you are eating enough to ride over 2-3hours. You will be urinating at least 10 times a day + at night when you are properly hydrated.

Eating for a 20min hill blast is way different to eating enough carbs to ensure you don't bonk, remain strong at the end of the ride and actually recover well from that ride.

Basically the formula that every TDF rider that needs to stay RAIL thin is this.
10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day.
1g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per hour when on the bike.
Keep fat and protein intake under 10% of total calories per day.
Drink enough water for clear urination at least every 2 hours.

I don't train year round much, so need to stay light for the local climbing battles. Im lazy. Id literally rather eat LOTS of the right foods than have to train extra.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 am

Apple wrote:Shut your mouth for a while, shrink your stomach so it does not grow and require large amounts of food.
stick to a well balanced diet. It is the temptation of nice attractive foods, Food is addictive. End of story.

It's hard but no secrets no magic, Just stop eating so much. :roll:
This is almost word for word what my obese mother says all the time.

I live by this paradigm so I continue to avoid the obesity genes that run in my family.

Some people are good with starving daily. Not me. I LOVE food too much to skip meals or eat frugally.
Vegan since 2001.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 am

durianrider wrote:When I go out for a long ride Im so full when I leave the house I almost can't breath.
Dude, that is NOT healthy!
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 29, 2013 12:55 pm

durianrider wrote:I live by this paradigm so I continue to avoid the obesity genes that run in my family.
Some people are good with starving daily. Not me. I LOVE food too much to skip meals or eat frugally.
Well, the bananaman saga has taken a disgusting turn...

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topi ... d-my-feces

In case the original post gets deleted, here it is unedited...
Posted by figtato on March 19, 2013 at 6:58am in Raw Health

I totally wasn't sure if Rawbert was for real, but I went along and ate a little of my poop. I put it in my banana smoothie. Though I didn't taste it straight up and it didn't ruin my smoothie, a random sip tasted like straight up butt

I did this to get b12 and I may start. Is this smart? I didnt puke or anything the very least

Views: 3639
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Reality Check: 5 Risks of a Raw Vegan Diet
That said, no known human culture has ever attempted to survive solely on raw plant foods. It is the raw-only diet that is unnatural, because it is impossible to survive on this diet without modern conveniences such as refrigerators, storage devices and easy access to packaged foods — such as the aforementioned shelled nuts.

In fact, a child raised on a raw, vegan diet without proper supplementation would likely develop severe neurological and growth problems due to a lack of vitamin B12 and other nutrients.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... 5-risks-of
<removed by request>

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed May 29, 2013 1:33 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:In case the original post gets deleted, here it is unedited...

I totally wasn't sure if Rawbert was for real, but I went along and ate a little of my poop. I put it in my banana smoothie. Though I didn't taste it straight up and it didn't ruin my smoothie, a random sip tasted like straight up butt

I did this to get b12 and I may start. Is this smart? I didnt puke or anything the very least

O.....M.....G....... :shock:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 29, 2013 3:30 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
That said, no known human culture has ever attempted to survive solely on raw plant foods. It is the raw-only diet that is unnatural, because it is impossible to survive on this diet without modern conveniences such as refrigerators, storage devices and easy access to packaged foods — such as the aforementioned shelled nuts.

In fact, a child raised on a raw, vegan diet without proper supplementation would likely develop severe neurological and growth problems due to a lack of vitamin B12 and other nutrients.
That article didn't seem very scientific to me... I would expect to read something similar on Yahoo :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:In case the original post gets deleted, here it is unedited...

O.....M.....G....... :shock:
Agreed :(

And we all thought the triathlon toileting post was a little off...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed May 29, 2013 9:03 pm

The gullibility of some people with regards to health and nutrition is amazing - especially wishful thinking.

Where can I get in touch with this Figato guy? I'm able to make him lose weight, extend his manhood and sell him many bridges!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 am

clackers wrote:The gullibility of some people with regards to health and nutrition is amazing - especially wishful thinking.

Where can I get in touch with this Figato guy? I'm able to make him lose weight, extend his manhood and sell him many bridges!
Sorry, he is locked into an exclusive contract with his current "supplier". That's the whole point, isn't it?
<removed by request>

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu May 30, 2013 11:29 am

:grin:

Of course, we know nothing else about this guy and it could all have been a parody of earnest health obsessives.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 am

clackers wrote::grin:

Of course, we know nothing else about this guy and it could all have been a parody of earnest health obsessives.
I thought that too at first. But that forum is VERY heavily moderated and they don't tolerate nonsense over there :wink: :lol: :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:

What was your last serum b12 and homocysteine test CC? Ive posted mine on youtube extensively. Would be great to see a critics and how they compare. ;)

If you can provide me with ONE single disease that is exclusive to vegans I will give you 50 000AUD.

I think crickets are nesting in my macbook pro. Anyone got a tip how to keep them quiet?
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Thu May 30, 2013 3:53 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
durianrider wrote:When I go out for a long ride Im so full when I leave the house I almost can't breath.
Dude, that is NOT healthy!
Thats because you fill up on junk foods and I fill up on healthy foods CC. You think a calorie is a calorie. A full belly of big macs is the same as a full belly of locally grown ripe fresh organic fruits and vegetables.

I feel sorry for people that think being full is a sin.
Vegan since 2001.