Low And High GI Injestion

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Low And High GI Injestion

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 25, 2013 8:38 am

This has me perplexed as to how to work out the best way to consume for healthier living. :?

I don't won't any crap hanging on others opinions in this thread OK :wink:

As most would know, I drive a truck and am away all week. What is puzzling me is, why is it with so called Low GI foods, am I getting hungry an hour later, where as with the other I can go without for up to four hours? :?

Just trying to maintain a decent weight or drop some while not being able to do my riding at the moment. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

by BNA » Sat May 25, 2013 11:42 am

BNA
 

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby Marty Moose » Sat May 25, 2013 11:42 am

What exactly are you eating ? Thats the opposite of what should happen :) :)

MM
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 25, 2013 12:00 pm

The cereals that have low GI ratings and there has been other things that are rated the same but they just have the opposite effect. :?

I don't know if it is the same as some meds that are suppose to have a calming affect but make me hyper. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby Marty Moose » Sat May 25, 2013 2:08 pm

foo on patrol wrote:The cereals that have low GI ratings and there has been other things that are rated the same but they just have the opposite effect. :?

I don't know if it is the same as some meds that are suppose to have a calming affect but make me hyper. :shock:

Foo


me too :) What cereals exactly ?? Having them with milk if so what sort ?? Any sugar honey or sweetner used ??
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Weetbix, muesli, rolled oates and I put honey on them and fruit sometimes.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm

From my limited knowledge, fruit and honey are high GI.
Some muesli's have very high sugar content and therefore are high GI.
Some of the claims of low GI are only relative... A bit like saying quinoa is high protein - it isn't compared to fish, chicken, meat or even some cheese, but it is compared to other grains.
gabrielle260
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby matagi » Sat May 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Foo, I make my oats into porridge using full cream unhomogenised milk and add a little maple syrup (which is obviously high GI) but one-third of a cup of rolled oats (dry weight) cooked with one cup of milk will keep me full until lunchtime - which is usually at least 5 hours. In fact, it is my breakfast of choice if I know I'm going to have a busy morning and possibly not have time for lunch.

For muesli, the untoasted ones are meant to be lower fat and lower GI. I have mine with a little milk and a tablespoon of full-fat yoghurt. It doesn't keep me full as long as the porridge but works for most "normal" workdays.

How much honey are we talking here? Combining a high GI and a low GI food sort of "averages out" the GI but as gabrielle260 said, it's all relative.

The other thing to consider is that you may not be someone who suits a carbohydrate based breakfast and would be better off with protein as your first meal of the day. Nothing wrong with eggs - boiled or poached is a fine low fat alternative (even though in my opinion, there is nothing nicer than a well made plate of fried eggs and bacon). Baked beans on toast is another possibility.
User avatar
matagi
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:52 am
Location: In a parallel universe

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 25, 2013 7:37 pm

The amount of honey would only be around half a tablespoon.

Protein meals work well for me at breakfast. Some steak, eggs and tomato will last me for 4-5hrs easily but I can't do that unless I have time of a morning waiting to load, which isn't a common thing.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby durianrider » Mon May 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Do you have diabetes? What was your last HA1c test?

How many grams of cereal do you eat in a sitting?

I know for me at least 500g dry weight is essential or its not enough. Put on a litre of organic rice milk plus about 200g of organic sugar and thats a nice 3000cal approx meal.
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby twizzle » Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 pm

There's the Glycemic Index and then there's the Insulin Index. And they don't line up. This disconnect between some foods doesn't make sense to me, and when you read up on how insulin works you discover there is a heck of a lot that still isn't understood about how we digest and use food.

One thing I did learn recently is that your insulin production in the morning after you have woken is significantly stronger that at other times of the day, so you should avoid carbs as they will have a stronger insulin reaction. Maybe start the day with some tasty kangaroo. :P
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby durianrider » Mon May 27, 2013 8:00 pm

twizzle wrote:There's the Glycemic Index and then there's the Insulin Index. And they don't line up. This disconnect between some foods doesn't make sense to me, and when you read up on how insulin works you discover there is a heck of a lot that still isn't understood about how we digest and use food.

One thing I did learn recently is that your insulin production in the morning after you have woken is significantly stronger that at other times of the day, so you should avoid carbs as they will have a stronger insulin reaction. Maybe start the day with some tasty kangaroo. :P


Why do non diabetic bodybuilders inject insulin Twizzie? Why do they focus on eating foods that are high on the insulin index? (animal protein) Why do bodybuilders ingest so much animal protein? Is it to spike insulin levels right up to build more bodyweight? Is insulin the most anabolic hormone the body produces? (anabolic = extra weight)

Ive never met a pro bodybuilder that ate a fruitarian/high carb vegan diet. You would think they would be into that if it raised insulin levels so much.

Then there is the subject of Glycemic Load...
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby twizzle » Mon May 27, 2013 9:29 pm

durianrider wrote:...

Why do non diabetic bodybuilders inject insulin Twizzie? Why do they focus on eating foods that are high on the insulin index? (animal protein) Why do bodybuilders ingest so much animal protein? Is it to spike insulin levels right up to build more bodyweight? Is insulin the most anabolic hormone the body produces? (anabolic = extra weight)

Ive never met a pro bodybuilder that ate a fruitarian/high carb vegan diet. You would think they would be into that if it raised insulin levels so much.

Then there is the subject of Glycemic Load...


:roll: Why do you need to ask so many questions?


Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby foo on patrol » Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Not diabetic and I have blood tests every year. I have always found cereal does not last real long in the hunger fact but I don't eat half a kg and a ltr of milk neither. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby matagi » Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 am

Foo, there is a grain of sense in what Durianrider has written (although it is hidden in all the drivel)

It may be that you need to look not just at the glycaemic index of your breakfast foods, but also at the insulin index - and it is not as simple as high carb/high GI food = high insulin index, some high protein/low GI foods also have a high insulin index.. Unfortunately, this branch of nutrition is still fairly new so there is not a huge amount of information out there except in the sort of publications that would make your eyes glaze over (unless you're a nutritionist).
User avatar
matagi
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:52 am
Location: In a parallel universe

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby twizzle » Tue May 28, 2013 9:01 am

matagi wrote:Foo, there is a grain of sense in what Durianrider has written (although it is hidden in all the drivel)


Actually... no. His claim that animal protein = high insulin is not true. And he's been told this before.

Foo - have a look at the Wikipedia page, you can click on the table header columns to play with the sort order. Maybe go with an omelet for breakfast?
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby Marty Moose » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

Eat more and see how you go :mrgreen:
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby durianrider » Tue May 28, 2013 9:50 am

foo on patrol wrote:Not diabetic and I have blood tests every year. I have always found cereal does not last real long in the hunger fact but I don't eat half a kg and a ltr of milk neither. :shock:

Foo


Sounds like you just need to eat athlete sized meals mate. If you want horse energy, you need to eat like a horse. Look up the importance of glycogen and what foods restore it best. Making your diet based on these foods will have you ripped and the fittest you ever been in due time.

Does that makes sense? You need to eat sufficient carb calories so you aint hungry an hour later and then tempted by greasy protein rich foods that stack on the weight.

Id skip the dairy and go with rice, oat, soy, quinoa milks instead. They are hormone and cholesterol free and don't contain IGF-1 (Insulin like Growth Factor) which puts on weight but can also increase tumor growth rates.

Thats just what we do. Your job also requires more glucose than ours as you have to be focused on the road 100% The brain & eyes use up more glycogen than any other system in the human body. By skimping on carbs and filling up on protein and fat all you are doing is setting yourself up for heart disease, obesity and stroke. In Thailand the truck drivers all lean as. I see them sitting around at truck stops with a rice cooker and bags of fruit lol! You NEVER see a barrel bellied ozzie trucker doing that lol! I used to have clinical hypoglycemia. I was eating too much fat and protein. Then when I switched to unlimited carb cals and cut out the grease and animal protein, my hypoglycemia magically disappeared. It was probably just a coincidence though. :wink:

Eat as much healthy carbs as you want Foo. Your health, energy levels and waistline depend on it.
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby twizzle » Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 am



Once again... don't let the facts get in the way of a story.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 am

Foo, I was having the same problem, so I did a little bit of reading and some experimentation. I now put some protein powder on my weet-bix of a morning time and that's been filling me nicely for much longer than weet-bix with fruit on top, or weet-bix with nothing added (save for soy milk, of course).
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3189
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby Marty Moose » Tue May 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Almonds may help too.A good handful eaten slowly, savoured you might say also help me ;)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby matagi » Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 pm

twizzle wrote:
matagi wrote:Foo, there is a grain of sense in what Durianrider has written (although it is hidden in all the drivel)


Actually... no. His claim that animal protein = high insulin is not true. And he's been told this before.

Foo - have a look at the Wikipedia page, you can click on the table header columns to play with the sort order. Maybe go with an omelet for breakfast?

Based on that table, it's fish and potatoes have the highest satiety score.

Fish and chips for brekky? Winner! :D

On a slightly more serious note, porridge seems to be fairly low GI, low insulin score and fairly high satiety score - so it should be ideal.
User avatar
matagi
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:52 am
Location: In a parallel universe

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby foo on patrol » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks for the varied ideas so far. Seeing as I have a microwave in the truck, I might try and give the rolled oates ago. :wink:
Is there much difference between macadamia and almonds because I prefer to munch on macadamia nuts but will also chew on the almonds?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 pm

durianrider wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Not diabetic and I have blood tests every year. I have always found cereal does not last real long in the hunger fact but I don't eat half a kg and a ltr of milk neither. :shock:
Foo

Sounds like you just need to eat athlete sized meals mate. If you want horse energy, you need to eat like a horse.

Yes, you must eat plenty off grass like a horse, it's rich in chlorophyll and fibre and will give you plenty of energy for your cycling. You can munch on that stuff all day... like a horse of course!
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby matagi » Wed May 29, 2013 7:41 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Thanks for the varied ideas so far. Seeing as I have a microwave in the truck, I might try and give the rolled oates ago. :wink:
Is there much difference between macadamia and almonds because I prefer to munch on macadamia nuts but will also chew on the almonds?

Foo

Unfortunately, the article the Wikipedia entry is based on only looked at peanuts, so no data on macadamias vs almonds. I know I prefer macadamias, so really a matter of preference. Macadamias are larger than almonds, so you would have more almond kernels than macadamia kernels for a given weight. Bear in mind that nuts are full of fats and therefore high calorie so you need to be careful how many you eat.
User avatar
matagi
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:52 am
Location: In a parallel universe

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby durianrider » Thu May 30, 2013 3:39 pm

When I wanted to learn how to climb faster, I ignored the faster riders and listened to the riders that walk up the hills instead. ;)
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Next

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit