New to longer rides....bonking

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
durianrider wrote:Yes its true, I have DNF'd in a race back in 2011 after crashing out down a rock slope. Did anyone see the results for the south australian road champs today? Who won that?

Correct, I never won a race when I raced in Belgium. Means my advice is meaningless.


To avoid the significant point I raise you focus on the irrelevancy in there. Get your head into gear and read what I am saying bananas - the signficant issue being that there is little indication that you have done ANYTHING other than your own claims. Still waiting for a list of such that is somewhat as comprehenisve as your claims. I am sure you will have something somewhere. Bor for quantity I have no trouble finding your many claims.

- 2009 Australian 24hr Champs: DNF 17 12:01:31 Harley Johnstone DNF

- 2005 Mont 24hr: DNF 2 7:48:20 harley johnstone

- 2002 Canberra Tour, April 26-28; Dnf Harley Johnstone

I guess one could argue that if they didn’t actually finish a race, they weren’t truly beaten.

Then we have this claim:
“I am the 2008 South Australian 24-hour solo Cross Country Champion.”

I’d like to see Mr Johnstone direct people to a link that proves this and many of his results. I have been unable to verify many of his claims, which is odd given many results for state and national champs are often listed, with archives extending back to the early 2000′s in many cases.

You will need to scroll way down in the comments to find this:
http://paleozonenutrition.com/2011/03/05/30-bananas-a-day-durianrider-an-analysis-of-his-paleo-vegan-diet/

Good God. I nearly fell asleep wading through all that waffle. The Paleo group are as big a bunch of nutters as the Vegans. It's funny how extremism brings out extreme view points.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

by BNA » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm

BNA
 

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm

... :|
Last edited by Mulger bill on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Naaaah...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25275
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 pm

durianrider wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:To avoid the significant point I raise you focus on the irrelevancy in there. Get your head into gear and read what I am saying bananas - the signficant issue being that there is little indication that you have done ANYTHING other than your own claims. Still waiting for a list of such that is somewhat as comprehenisve as your claims. I am sure you will have something somewhere. Bor for quantity I have no trouble finding your many claims.

- 2009 Australian 24hr Champs: DNF 17 12:01:31 Harley Johnstone DNF

- 2005 Mont 24hr: DNF 2 7:48:20 harley johnstone

- 2002 Canberra Tour, April 26-28; Dnf Harley Johnstone

I guess one could argue that if they didn’t actually finish a race, they weren’t truly beaten.

Then we have this claim:
“I am the 2008 South Australian 24-hour solo Cross Country Champion.”

I’d like to see Mr Johnstone direct people to a link that proves this and many of his results. I have been unable to verify many of his claims, which is odd given many results for state and national champs are often listed, with archives extending back to the early 2000′s in many cases.

You will need to scroll way down in the comments to find this:
http://paleozonenutrition.com/2011/03/05/30-bananas-a-day-durianrider-an-analysis-of-his-paleo-vegan-diet/


Ha ha. Now some 50+ year old lady in NZ who only puts up one or two photos of herself so she looks like a teenager in order to sell more 'paleo protein powder' to her gullible followers, googles up some old race results from events I DNF'd in. Pro riders don't even finish 70% of the races they do each year and I DNF' 3. I got a flat in the Canberra Tour and actually did finish but out of the time cut. I had a vasectomy before the 2005 mont and lasted a lap before I realized it was stupid to continue (got 9th the year before with NO support team) and 2009 24hr solo champs I did pull out with achilles tendonitis. So 3 races out of over a 100 I have pulled out of. Not bad. If I do something good, people say Im on drugs. If I DNF a race for medical reasons then its cos I don't eat meat pies..

Can't win in the eyes of the haters.

I feel sad for people who can't take a joke.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6788
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby durianrider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I agree, its is funny reading the comments of those that critique riders that either, A: don't even ride themselves or B: literally couldnt keep up for 500m.

As for avoiding bonking, its as simple as ensuring sufficient sleep, water and sugar. Thats all there is to it. Fitness has nothing to do with bonking. Gimme a total noob and I will have them ride so far without bonking that they would have to stop due to skin chaffing first.
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby clackers » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:43 pm

durianrider wrote:I agree, its is funny reading the comments of those that critique riders that either, A: don't even ride themselves or B: literally couldnt keep up for 500m.

As for avoiding bonking, its as simple as ensuring sufficient sleep, water and sugar. Thats all there is to it. Fitness has nothing to do with bonking. Gimme a total noob and I will have them ride so far without bonking that they would have to stop due to skin chaffing first.


The second paragraph is quite correct, DR, but your first is an example of why people don't like you. :smile:
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:17 pm

clackers wrote:
durianrider wrote:I agree, its is funny reading the comments of those that critique riders that either, A: don't even ride themselves or B: literally couldnt keep up for 500m.

As for avoiding bonking, its as simple as ensuring sufficient sleep, water and sugar. Thats all there is to it. Fitness has nothing to do with bonking. Gimme a total noob and I will have them ride so far without bonking that they would have to stop due to skin chaffing first.


The second paragraph is quite correct, DR, but your first is an example of why people don't like you. :smile:

I agree. It's easy to sling accusations at people you don't know. For example, I am one of those that critique riders, so am I A or B? Considering I have competed in a 24 hour endurance cycling event (without bonking :wink:) perhaps I fall into category C, none of the above? But then I don't claim to be the most elite cyclist in Australia, claim to subsist entirely on bananas or make up stories about my obese/diabetic/whatever mother, so who am I to comment? :wink: lol
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6788
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm

durianrider wrote:How confident are you Mr Anonymous? Im confident enough that everyone here knows my real name, what I look like and what part of Adelaide I live in. Would you be willing to put some wagers on the table to back up the claims you make about me? Mr Anonymous.

Oh, is that directed to me? Moi hiding behind anonymity?

I just googled "perth unicyclist" and I pop up second. It is immediately after Perthunicycle.com forum on which I am the number one post whore.

If you are uncertain that I am the same then you take the name there, "colin christensen" and add that to colinoldncranky and I pop up at the top again, both terms published. My regular routes are well known by total strangers. If I ever do anything truly embarrassing or criminal the world will now where to find me.

The entries will take you to a radio interviews I have done. With a little effort you will find other media interviews, a book chapter and I don't know what else. All naming me and, where both terms are not co-incident, making it pretty easy to work out who colinoldncranky is.

Yeah, I am really lurking in the shadows. :roll:

I ride a unicycle everywhere, every day for god's sake. I take it on holidays locally and overseas. I daily ride thru the CBD. Along the side of the Freeway. To the shops. To work. I am a piece of the furniture.

Am I afraid of your intellectual might? Am I hiding my identity, choosing to be anonymous? Yeah, right!

Get real Harley. Better still, get lost.

(I think we need a new smiley to use. A sneer would do the trick.)
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby durianrider » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm

I remember being at the AIS in 2001 talking with Dr Martin in his office after hours. He was telling me the fastest way to get overtrained is 'get dehydrated'. Second fastest way is to not enough daily carbs and third fastest way is to not get enough sleep.
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby iaintas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:51 pm

DR was Scott Gardner and broso coaching at the AIS when you were there?
Image
iaintas
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby JohnJoyner » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 pm

This started as quite an interesting thread.... Now... a yawnfest.
Image
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
User avatar
JohnJoyner
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Sydney

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby durianrider » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:59 am

iaintas wrote:DR was Scott Gardner and broso coaching at the AIS when you were there?


The only names I remember were Sally C, A Hahn and Dave Martins. I would remember faces though.

I was just there for the altitude training camp for 6 weeks. Learned a lot from Dave Martins. He was easy to talk to after hours.
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Re: New to longer rides....bonking

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Update. Those of you who are following my trials and tribulations elsewhere on this forum will already know.

But to new thread hunters. My main issue was FITNESS. Although I have changed to a low fat/higher carb diet. Without a shadow of a doubt its fitness. I am now riding 2:30 at an average 28kph covering an undulating 70k's. It takes time... Good Luck.
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

Previous

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist