Hypertension and Riding

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Hypertension and Riding

Postby tangary » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi all, I crack 50years in a few weeks time and went for the obligatory check up not to long ago - came up with the unwanted scares of a high PSA of 4.3 and a BP averaging 144 (up to 170ish). Had an ultrasound of the walnut and is slightly high normal but homonegous and will keep monitoring PSA regularly. Just starting on Perindo (and ACE inhibitor) which appears to be keeping my BP at 135/90.Wondering if I could get any advice from anyone else who has had to start on BP meds on their experiences and any pitfalls to watch for. I went on a 60km 27kmh ave fairly flat ride and except for feeling somewhat dry and a bit of an itchy throat, pretty reasonable. Cheers in anticipation :-) Oh, am any opinions on walnut issues would be appreciated too!
TCR Adv 0 2013
tangary

by BNA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:37 pm

BNA

Re: Hypertension and Riding

Postby GH » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:37 pm

I have been on BP meds for 15 years or so, 59 now, and my hypertensive state when detected was 205/160. Meds have kept it pretty good over the years and exercise tends to lower my BP. Since diagnosis I have also had a stent done with no bad effects either. Never overweight, 70kg and 176cm. I have never had any issues, other than being the age I am, with exercise and BP meds and I hope you find it the same. My Cardioligist has said keep it up so I am.
GH

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:37 pm

One of the main complaints with perindopril is some people develop a dry cough with it. Allergic symptoms, dizziness (due to too low BP), and oral/tongue swelling are also sometimes seen. It is however, very well tolerated on a whole, and u shouldn't have any issues with it. It does however increase your chance of renal failure if u get very dehydrated on long rides, so make sure u keep well hydrated.

Ride lots and u might see your need for antihypertensives vanish! :-)

Addit:
Keep an eye on your walnut... Your PSA might be up a little if your regularly in the saddle. Low PSA readings can be a little difficult to interpret in regular cyclists, but the key is your have had a normal US...
Dr_Mutley

Postby winstonw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:50 pm

tangary wrote:Wondering if I could get any advice from anyone else who has had to start on BP meds on their experiences and any pitfalls to watch for.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topic ... pertension
http://www.pcrm.org/health/health/healt ... ate-cancer
winstonw

Postby tangary » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for the input chaps!
TCR Adv 0 2013
tangary

Postby lgbran » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 pm

hi there,
stay hydrated. was on pendoprol after blood pressure was 190 over 160. Over a period of 3 months i found I was getting dizzy, blacked out a couple of times and final straw hit the deck. My local gp was away after having other tests which all came back clear this dr insisted I keep taking the meds. On the bike no issues but I didn;t feel safe. Ceased taking the meds, saw the same doc who said I'd have a stroke. I'd rather run the risk of having a stroke rather then feeling like i'm going to hit the deck at any moment. My regular doc comes back, changes meds to Diovan and I invested in a Omran heart rate monitor. My blood pressure is now 135/85, no more dizzy spells and losing weight as well. don't be afraid to change meds if you find they knock you around.
lgbran

Postby michael_w » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:21 pm

lgbran wrote:hi there,
stay hydrated. was on pendoprol after blood pressure was 190 over 160. Over a period of 3 months i found I was getting dizzy, blacked out a couple of times and final straw hit the deck. My local gp was away after having other tests which all came back clear this dr insisted I keep taking the meds. On the bike no issues but I didn;t feel safe. Ceased taking the meds, saw the same doc who said I'd have a stroke. I'd rather run the risk of having a stroke rather then feeling like i'm going to hit the deck at any moment. My regular doc comes back, changes meds to Diovan and I invested in a Omran heart rate monitor. My blood pressure is now 135/85, no more dizzy spells and losing weight as well. don't be afraid to change meds if you find they knock you around.

+1. I can't remember what they were, but I had little dizzy spells at times. Changed meds and good as gold.
michael_w

Postby durianrider » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:52 am

Are you interested in changing your diet and lifestyle?

I know 2 cyclists that had prostrate cancer. 1 got his prostate chopped out. Now impotent. Gained a lot of weight in the last 2 years.

1 went high carb raw vegan and his PSA dropped. Upon further prostate biopsy he was given the all clear. His doctor did not know what he did to cure his prostate cancer. Called him 'lucky'.

Impotent and on dangerous meds for life?
Lean, fit and healthy for life?

At least we all have options now. Anyone can do a quick google search and se which route they would prefer to take.

My Dad, he went the cut burn and poison route (surgery, radiation & chemo). He died after just 6 weeks of allopathic medical treatment. I learned that most people would rather die than change their diet and lifestyle. Fair enough. Good to have options though. The mega trillion $ pharma industry won't tell you though. You have to do the homework yourself. Bit like buying a pair of DA cranks from a local bike shop. They aint gonna tell you that they are 300$ cheaper on wiggle. Its our responsibility to do the homework.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby ozzymac » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:46 pm

durianrider wrote:Are you interested in changing your diet and lifestyle?

I know 2 cyclists that had prostrate cancer. 1 got his prostate chopped out. Now impotent. Gained a lot of weight in the last 2 years.

1 went high carb raw vegan and his PSA dropped. Upon further prostate biopsy he was given the all clear. His doctor did not know what he did to cure his prostate cancer. Called him 'lucky'.

At least we all have options now. Anyone can do a quick google search and se which route they would prefer to take.

My Dad, he went the cut burn and poison route (surgery, radiation & chemo). He died after just 6 weeks of allopathic medical treatment. I learned that most people would rather die than change their diet and lifestyle. Fair enough. Good to have options though. The mega trillion $ pharma industry won't tell you though. You have to do the homework yourself. Bit like buying a pair of DA cranks from a local bike shop. They aint gonna tell you that they are 300$ cheaper on wiggle. Its our responsibility to do the homework.

Only thing I can say after reading that...........
IT'S A MIRACLE!!!

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
ozzymac

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:56 pm

ozzymac wrote:
durianrider wrote:Are you interested in changing your diet and lifestyle?

Only thing I can say after reading that...........
IT'S A MIRACLE!!!

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone sick of this drivel yet?
Dr_Mutley

Postby MarkG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:31 pm

I just want him to come into my gym sprouting his crap so I can send him home with his tail between his legs.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:24 pm

durianrider wrote:I know 2 cyclists that had prostrate cancer.

Did they have cancer or a high PSA?

I noticed that you set up a false dichotomy by claiming that the only options for the treatment of "prostrate (sic) cancer" are "chop" or a miracle vegan cure. If you have a look at an actual authoritative source, there are lots of treatment options:

Active Surveillance
Prostatectomy (Surgery)
Radiation Therapy
Hormone Therapy
Chemotherapy
Other Treatment Options
- Cryotherapy
- High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound
- Primary Hormone Therapy
Emerging Therapies
- Targeted Therapies

http://www.pcf.org/site/c.leJRIROrEpH/b.5802089/k.B8D8/Treatment_Options.htm

durianrider wrote:I learned that most people would rather die than change their diet and lifestyle.

From a sample size of one you are able to extrapolate to "most people"? That is more amazing than your story!
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby wombatK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
durianrider wrote:I learned that most people would rather die than change their diet and lifestyle.

From a sample size of one you are able to extrapolate to "most people"? That is more amazing than your story!

Sadly, the vast hordes of fat dudes out there who are eating their way to cardiac and lifestyle diseases
means it maybe wouldn't too hard to get a more solid statistical base for that part of his claim.

That, however, doesn't add any credit to his original claim that diet alone has a curative effect on high
PSA or prostrate cancer.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:06 am

Lets just stick to the OP topic, as paying any attention to DRs cyclical drivel is just encouraging someone with way too much time on his hands...
Dr_Mutley

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 am

Suffice to say the little red box at the top of the page exists for a reason.... :roll:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:04 am

casual_cyclist wrote:

The majority of Australians are above healthy weight and not active enough....a totally plausible comment imo.
winstonw

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 am

DR is back with personally related case examples again?
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:09 am

im_no_pro wrote:Suffice to say the little red box at the top of the page exists for a reason.... :roll:

I don't see a breach of forum rules in his post. What should that post be reported for?
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:14 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Suffice to say the little red box at the top of the page exists for a reason.... :roll:

I don't see a breach of forum rules in his post. What should that post be reported for?

Not THAT little red box, this one:
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:

Not THAT little red box, this one:
Forum rules

Ahh! I see... now. So, does said doctor have a cream for serial nuisance? It's a persistant problem that seems problematic to resolve. :?
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Is there an ignore function on this forum? I usually just use tapatalk, and don't see an option. Does such an option exist on the website?
Dr_Mutley

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Re. Doctor.... Vanishing cream?
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Is there an ignore function on this forum? I usually just use tapatalk, and don't see an option. Does such an option exist on the website?

Profile->foe list. Or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Which DR are we talking about? I thought all the DR, Dr and dr referred to DurianRider. No? Nothing to do with Dr_Mutley, right? A very confusing thread.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Back on topic...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15076798

American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and hypertension.
Pescatello LS, Franklin BA, Fagard R, Farquhar WB, Kelley GA, Ray CA; American College of Sports Medicine.

Abstract
Hypertension (HTN), one of the most common medical disorders, is associated with an increased incidence of all-cause and cardiovascular disease (CVD) mortality. Lifestyle modifications are advocated for the prevention, treatment, and control of HTN, with exercise being an integral component. Exercise programs that primarily involve endurance activities prevent the development of HTN and lower blood pressure (BP) in adults with normal BP and those with HTN. The BP lowering effects of exercise are most pronounced in people with HTN who engage in endurance exercise with BP decreasing approximately 5-7 mm HG after an isolated exercise session (acute) or following exercise training (chronic). Moreover, BP is reduced for up to 22 h after an endurance exercise bout (e.g.postexercise hypotension), with greatest decreases among those with highest baseline BP. The proposed mechanisms for the BP lowering effects of exercise include neurohumoral, vascular, and structural adaptations. Decreases in catecholamines and total peripheral resistance, improved insulin sensitivity, and alterations in vasodilators and vasoconstrictors are some of the postulated explanations for the antihypertensive effects of exercise. Emerging data suggest genetic links to the BP reductions associated with acute and chronic exercise. Nonetheless, definitive conclusions regarding the mechanisms for the BP reductions following endurance exercise cannot be made at this time. Individuals with controlled HTN and no CVD or renal complications may participate in an exercise program or competitive athletics, but should be evaluated, treated and monitored closely. Preliminary peak or symptom-limited exercise testing may be warranted, especially for men over 45 and women over 55 yr planning a vigorous exercise program (i.e. > or = 60% VO2R, oxygen uptake reserve). In the interim, while formal evaluation and management are taking place, it is reasonable for the majority of patients to begin moderate intensity exercise (40-<60% VO2R) such as walking. When pharmacological therapy is indicated in physically active people it should be, ideally: a) lower BP at rest and during exertion; b) decrease total peripheral resistance; and, c) not adversely affect exercise capacity. For these reasons, angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (or angiotensin II receptor blockers in case of ACE inhibitor intolerance) and calcium channel blockers are currently the drugs of choice for recreational exercisers and athletes who have HTN. Exercise remains a cornerstone therapy for the primary prevention, treatment, and control of HTN. The optimal training frequency, intensity, time, and type (FITT) need to be better defined to optimize the BP lowering capacities of exercise, particularly in children, women, older adults, and certain ethnic groups. based upon the current evidence, the following exercise prescription is recommended for those with high BP: Frequency: on most, preferably all, days of the week. Intensity: moderate-intensity (40-<60% VO2R). Time: > or = 30 min of continuous or accumulated physical activity per day. Type: primarily endurance physical activity supplemented by resistance exercise.
winstonw

Next

Return to Cycling Health