Inner thigh pain

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Inner thigh pain

Postby MattyK » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi all. On my recent commutes I've been getting some aching/pain on my inner thighs down from the groin, usually at the end of a hill that is about halfway through my 8km commute.

This is a relatively recent phenomenon, I've been commuting this route for 3+ years. The only thing that has changed most recently is a new saddle (Charge Spoon, formerly a soft and spongy OEM Speciaized); it started not immediately but shortly after that (couple of weeks maybe?)

I raised the seat post height a bit given that the height of the saddle (top to rails) was significantly less. The new saddle is however firmer, so won't be compressing enough. I haven't done anything scientific to dial in the angle either, just set it relatively flat, maybe a touch nose down.

Any tips on adjustments that might help?
MattyK

by BNA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:10 pm

BNA

Re: Inner thigh pain

Postby winstonw » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Could be referred pain from an bulging lumbar disc irritating a nerve root, a nerve under tension or compression, or just strained muscles.
I suggest a process of elimination
- get a decent massage of your hip flexors and adductors, and abductors, and extensors. pay particular attention to the pectineus, rectus femoris and iliopsoas.
- stretch the above muscles for a few weeks, in addition to your lumbar spine.
- strengthen your core with planks and bicycle crunches
- get some manual therapy from a physio or osteopath to loosen your lumbar facet joints.

also,
lower your saddle for a week and see if it makes a diff.
use a saddle cream for a week.
winstonw

Postby MattyK » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Also, it's only a very temporary thing, once I ease off (pass the top of the hill) it goes away and I don't notice it at any time other than on the bike.
MattyK

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 am

U also might find the setback is now quite different depending on where your sitting on the new saddle...
Dr_Mutley

Return to Cycling Health