Breakfast?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Breakfast?

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:45 pm

variable wrote:Looking for a discussion as to whether you all eat breakfast before your first ride of the day? I have heard that riding on an empty stomach means you'll burn more fat and that breakfast doesn't really 'get your metabolism going' as is often said.

I realize that from a performance perspective eating breakfast is going to give you more energy. But if you are cycling for weight loss?

Breakfast? What's that? I have coffee beteen 9 and 10:30 and then lunch at 12.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

by BNA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:34 pm

BNA

Postby macka » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:34 pm

I can only eat cereal in the morning and am ok but if I hammer the early part of my ride (eg about 20 km mark) I want to throw up. I now ease off when the nausea starts but after around the 30 km mark I can beat off just about everyone in the ride. When I get home though the dog, cat and any other meat lying around the house is fare game... Yum yum woof woof
macka

Postby Eleri » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 am

Sometimes I'll have 3 breakfasts before 10am! It's my favourite meal of the day.

If I'm riding early, I'll eat a big bowl of cereal. Do a couple of hours training and then have a quick protein drink at the end of it often while driving to work or when I get there. By 9:30 or 10 I'm ready for coffee and fruit toast.

On a longer ride, say 100km, I'd eat a bigger breakfast before leaving and then head for the cafe at the end and eat more food and coffee.

Now in case you think that's a lot of food, I weigh about 54kg and am at about 12% body fat, which is low for a woman. I'm thinking that reading others' responses that perhaps it varies with the intensity of training and whatever else you are eating and your personal preferences. One of my friends never eats breakfast and has to be persuaded to eat something before the ACE250 every year. I however, eat everything in sight. :-)
Eleri

Postby Farmer Elvis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 pm

I've gotta have something if its 100km+ it'll be weetbix + toast less Kms miss the toast. Nothing worse than hunger flat
Farmer Elvis

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Farmer Elvis wrote:I've gotta have something if its 100km+ it'll be weetbix + toast less Kms miss the toast. Nothing worse than hunger flat

Yeah I did that on Saturday - and combined with the warm temperatures, even a sandwich and a coffee at the mid-way point, I was a bit light headed when I got home. I ate very little before I left home.
g-boaf

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 pm

I just have a dingo's breakfast.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:24 am

I have a hot milk coffee in a 600ml cup.:smile:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:43 pm

5 banana, 250g blueberries and what ever other fruit is lying around smoothie ;-)
toolonglegs

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Almost never eat brekky other than a muffin with coffee near the end of my ride in. ie 90minutes or more exercise first and often ten hours after I last ate.

I mostly despense with lunch during weekdays too. I'd rather pig out when I get home. Tend to eat what I want rather than following any of the faddish diets that abound. I would be hard pressed to convince anyone, myself included, that I eat a conventionally balanced and nutricious diet.

And yet I'm pretty lean, pretty strong and pretty fit and holding together better and more functional than most people I know regardless of age.

I do exercise a lot and I monitor changes to my well being.

However, just because I am fine it does not mean that I would not be better off giving more attention to a conventional balanced diet. Or that others should do as I do. a sample size of one is worthless. I can think of one particular poster on these forums who should follow a similar rationale. (I wonder who that would be. :roll: )
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Do as I say, not as I do :roll:
toolonglegs

Previous

Return to Cycling Health