riding with the flue good or bad ?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Red Rider

Re: riding with the flue good or bad ?

Postby Red Rider » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Chatting to my doctor, she said that people getting an actual flu virus is not very common, maybe once a decade or two. When you do get it, you know about it, it floors you.

I've had 3 illnesses this season. A viral cold, which was very mild and I was able to ride through, in fact I didn't even notice it apart from a very minor symptom that I was recovering from it. Then I had post-viral bronchitis, which I stopped riding for a few days and took it easy on the bike after. Now I have a bacterial chest infection, and this is by far the worst. So absolutely no riding all week, my immune system needs all the energy it can get.

Generally listening to your body is best. If you don't have much energy to ride, it's pretty obvious you shouldn't ride. But if you're still sleeping, eating, drinking well and have good energy levels to otherwise get through the day, your body should stay strong enough to fight off the illness as normal.

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:12 am

Bad.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Flu bad, a cold not so bad

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 am

I wouldn't say I have the flu at the moment, but a virus that has flu-like symptons but hasn't hit me for 6 like the flu does.

I'm absolutely spewing, I was a month into an interval program and was showing excellent progress. Really worried when I pick up the bike again (next week it looks like now) I'll be a month behind again.