Weight loss has stalled

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
casual_cyclist

Re: Weight loss has stalled

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Parker wrote:Bacon... had bacon for breakfast twice this week, with sausages...
Tick tock, tick tock
<removed by request>

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:11 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Tick tock, tick tock
American Pepper Bacon... you'll love it :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Parker wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
Tick tock, tick tock
Call me back when they make it out of vegetables. :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Parker wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
Tick tock, tick tock
Does it come out of a can like American spray cheese?

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:45 pm

biker jk wrote:
Parker wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: Tick tock, tick tock
Does it come out of a can like American spray cheese?
Hell no! This is just cut in the same style as American bacon, nice and thin with pepper!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:29 pm

winstonw,
Mate started your plan on Thursday. I was 99.8
Sunday 20th I am now 99.1 initial hunger pangs gone! Eating bucket loads of celery and following the plan 95%!
No loss in anything but stomach and chest fat. Energy levels are fine.
Will keep you posted.
Thank you

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:21 pm

glad to hear it waka. sounds like that 5% non compliance must have a lot of Cals. :)
it's usual to lose a lot more weight initially when you restrict Cals due to decreased intestinal food matter and coli.
nevertheless, good on you for losing something.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 am

yeah probably a bit more than 5% :oops:
The bad thing has been a business meeting, followed by a kids movie night. The other cals are from my heaviest alcohol weekend FOR AGES. Think Oktoberfest!
How ever internally BA (before alcohol) I feel cleaner and healther, as odd as thay may sound. Also hard to measure out at work so portion control has been hit and miss till I worked out the sizes after measuring, I did it visually afterwards and got pretty close.
Should see changes this week. Thanks again.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:56 am

Wakatuki wrote:yeah probably a bit more than 5% :oops:
The bad thing has been a business meeting, followed by a kids movie night. The other cals are from my heaviest alcohol weekend FOR AGES. Think Oktoberfest!
How ever internally BA (before alcohol) I feel cleaner and healther, as odd as thay may sound. Also hard to measure out at work so portion control has been hit and miss till I worked out the sizes after measuring, I did it visually afterwards and got pretty close.
Should see changes this week. Thanks again.
You will be right just keep it up - it takes time to put weight on which would suggest it takes to shed it as well unless you go on one of those quick fix diets. I have on mine for 4 weeks now and lost 5 KG's but 2 of those were in the first week due to getting rid of excess fluid.
OI onya bike!!!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:36 pm

waka, yes yes yes...the greatest thing you can learn is how to eyeball the right sized meals to have. that's something you'll use every day of the rest of your life. It's a pity it isn't taught better by those in the field.

the 2nd greatest thing to learn is as others indicate, don't beat yourself up for going astray. it happens to pretty much everyone. like a guided missile just gently steer yourself back on course after the binge :) happened to me yesterday and this morning after a 200k ride. 2 tallies, ice cream, a pie, a scone were part of my breakout. never mind. back on course now.

incidentally, the ride yesterday was pretty intense and draining. I find this leaves me emotionally "fragile". and in need of peace and good sleep. If I don't get it, the emotions can run around a bit, and I think this is also associated with other hormonal stuff that leads to overeating. This fits with my view that avoiding significant distress is best if you want to calm your appetite and lose weight more consistently. The most predictable straightline weight loss I've ever had personally and seen in clients, is when they get their life stressors sorted, do not overdo exercise or work, and have good emotional support from loved ones.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am

Monday 28th October..............
I feel bloody FANTASTIC. :D
Readings taken at the same time of day (upon waking) and always using the same tile in the ensuite and always measure twice to allow for scale compression.
97.8kg from 99.1 on Sunday 20th.
25.8% BF from 26.4
54.1% Water (was 53.3 I think?)
8.4 Bone Densisty same
Resting HR 49 down from 54

I have been having one glass of wine (never used to) with my meal per night, and I had two on Saturday night, glasses of wine that is not meals!
Been a little naughty with six liquorice cubes and two sweet petit fours cakes during the week.
Occasionally I forget to drink the water before the meal and I can now go harder for longer when running, not been cycling much for other reasons.

Kudos winstonw.. 8)

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 am

Wakatuki wrote:Monday 28th October..............
I feel bloody FANTASTIC. :D
Good for you, keep it up you're on fire.

You may see little ups and downs, just don't let them get to you. Long term weight loss is about more than making sure you're losing every week.

Exhibit A, my tracking since the beginning of June:

Like you, I take readings at the same time of day (in my case directly before bed on a Sunday night, I know my morning weight is lower but I started with evenings so I'll keep it up) and like you I always use the same tile in the ensuite and always measure twice or until I get two in a row the same.

I have had a few spikes but I'm just keeping it up with the attitude that whatever I eat, I have to expend more energy than that in exercise.

Exhibit B, my exercise over the same period:

Keep the balance going in using more energy than you consume and you'll succeed.

Smash it.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 am

bugger I have been doing heaps of exercise, watching my diet and either riding or walking everywhere if there is no reason to ride the motor cycle or drive the car and my weight loss has stalled as well 2 weeks now.... :( Using same scales and same time of day and day of week for weekly weigh in.
OI onya bike!!!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Tony, what program are you using to track?

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm tracking everything in Runkeeper free for Android. You can view all your stuff through a web interface as well.

It doesn't have the segment stuff that Strava does, but since I started my fitness kick 18 months ago trying to do the couch to 5k running thing it's worked for me.

You can enter daily weight along with GPS tracking of activities, and it does all sorts of reports and graphs, and keeps records, and you can set goals. I've got 3.5kg more until I reach my 82kg goal before the end of the year.

I can't remember last time I was this light, I've been a public servant for 20 years, and sitting on my arse for 7h21m a day (and then 7.5h from more recent times) and loving donuts and bread and all the good stuff doesn't help me not be tubby.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:06 pm

Well done: Wakatuki, TonyMax and Gordonhooker. Keep up the great work!
<removed by request>

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:bugger I have been doing heaps of exercise, watching my diet and either riding or walking everywhere if there is no reason to ride the motor cycle or drive the car and my weight loss has stalled as well 2 weeks now.... :( Using same scales and same time of day and day of week for weekly weigh in.
Try suddenly swapping your normal excercise, I went from cycling to running (sorry cyclists) My body is in WTH mode. Oh and walking as was mentioned earlier. Just a 20minute session a day starts the fuel burning in your body (so i've read).

Oh and great diet advice, the only person you cheat, is yourself.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:37 am

After a less energetic week due to a few pressure issues in the anterior calve muscles. I have dropped a little. 97.6kg, my fault. I did have two naughty nights, kids movies night with cheddar cubes and crackers with beetroot dip :(
I did however run a 7.8 on Beep test Saturday with a mate after work and I had more, but I do not need more. I then went onto do the agilty test in 18.56, or there abouts! I need a 7.7 Beep for an A and under 20 seconds for agilty test with QLD police, so happy with that as that is all I need to retest.
Meanwhile as my real test is on Saturday I am trying to shake a kilo before then. When I get an A on saturday I will have a very naughty food weekend. I'm thinking cheese stuffed crust pizza with hot chicken madras in it, topped with melted cheese and salami and several pale ales! :D

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I have some useless advice.

I rode to the Gong and back yesterday via Bulli Pass, and despite drinking 3 litres of various sports drink and smashing through sugary treats, I lost over 2.5kgs from the 210kms.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Nothing wrong with cheese, but then again, how many did you cubes did you eat? Nothing wrong with beetroot dip either, switch the crackers for a vegetable next time.

Moderation is still the key

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Xplora wrote:I have some useless advice.

I rode to the Gong and back yesterday via Bulli Pass, and despite drinking 3 litres of various sports drink and smashing through sugary treats, I lost over 2.5kgs from the 210kms.
Yeah I lost 1kg on a 60k loop, drank about 600ml of water. Most of it was back this morning though!
The other thing is I know the word moderation, but my arch nemisis cheese has mind control :oops:
I will use carrot or celery next time, good call, just need to switch the thought process.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Wakatuki wrote:

Yeah I lost 1kg on a 60k loop, drank about 600ml of water. Most of it was back this morning though!
The other thing is I know the word moderation, but my arch nemisis cheese has mind control :oops:
I will use carrot or celery next time, good call, just need to switch the thought process.
Carrot with dip is awesome!
<removed by request>

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Sounds like you didn't drink enough. Say you averaged 30kmh and so rode for 7 hours then at a minimum of 600ml an hour (and likely needing more on such a warm day) you should have consumed 4.2 litres.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Wakatuki wrote:

Carrot with dip is awesome!
About mind control... this might make some sense

http://www.grassfedgirl.com/suicide-by- ... ish-bread/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:07 am

OK, so I'm back at work and hoping to get into the usual routine again now after 4 weeks off work. I've left myself with 2.8kg to lose before 29/12 to meet my goal weight.

My diet hasn't been modified so I guess that's one area I could help myself but can anyone else offer any suggestions on what I can do to definitely reach my goal on time?

The usual routine is as follows:

Weekday mornings ~3.6km power walk with the dogs in ~30min.
Weekday lunch times ~20km ride around Lake Tuggers (AT) ~30km/h.
Weekend mornings ~5km power walk with the dogs ~45min.

I'm going to try to sneak in some after work and weekend rides from home which will be 30km in under an hour down to Lake Ginninderra and back.

I'm guessing that moderating intake will do more for me than increasing exercise, but I'm happy to hear people's thoughts.