Weight loss has stalled

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
winstonw

Re: Weight loss has stalled

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Wakatuki wrote:winstonw, would you do the same for me?
Short version: M 40½, 188cm (6'2") big frame. Started weight loss June 2012. Was 120kg, no measurements taken. Now 99-100kg. Resting HR down from 71to 56 max seen (171). Lowest ever weight 97.5kg feb this year, starved myself for BMI on medical. Current info according to weight watchers scales is bone density of 8.4% BF 26.4%. in training for the QLD police. current beep 6:10 need 7:7. My lungs always fail the legs both running and riding. Have favoured atkins style diet, during weight loss, the only carb cheat I do is oats and honey before 40k group rides 2-3 times per week, Sundays usually slower ride with Pam. Was thinking of trying 5:2 diet.. doing the 2 on my none excercise days, Thurs and Sat. Thats the short version :shock:
yeah sure... I should get around to it tonight. PM me your neck, chest, waist, bum (widest part) circumferences, and what you do for a living, full time?, what you do in downtime?, hours of cardio exercise per week and how that is structured i.e. 2x1hr rides, 2x2hrs, 1x4hr. and average speed and how hilly your usual routes. and significant medical history (smoker, heart attacks, asthma etc)

btw, this will be a "guideline"...if this doesn't work, go and talk to your GP and consider a sports dietitian consult.
Last edited by winstonw on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Well, I haven't stalled, I've gone backwards. I'm renovating a house while working full time. So I ride to work, work all day, ride home and do manual labour until after dark. I have been more hungry than usual and not making smart food choices. So, weight is creeping back. Poor decision making leads to inevitable consequences.
<removed by request>

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I was listening to a researcher this morning regarding insights into leptin. His view is weight gain for a significant % of people is biological, not psychological or emotional. I couldn't help but think if I choose to buy a bottle of wine on the way home tonight, is that my biology compelling me? And if I resist that urge, am I harming my "nature"? I also wonder whether it is biological for people to crave fruit loops, snakes alive, tim tams, pizza....and what people craved before these things were invented.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm

winstonw wrote:I was listening to a researcher this morning regarding insights into leptin. His view is weight gain for a significant % of people is biological, not psychological or emotional. I couldn't help but think if I choose to buy a bottle of wine on the way home tonight, is that my biology compelling me? And if I resist that urge, am I harming my "nature"? I also wonder whether it is biological for people to crave fruit loops, snakes alive, tim tams, pizza....and what people craved before these things were invented.
That's interesting. I wonder how much he has considered confounding variables. In my experience, when I eat a lot of highly processed food, I get hungry more often, my hunger is more "uncontrollable" (I feel like I have to eat) and I generally eat more. When I get more whole foods, I get hungry less often, my hunger is more "controllable" (I feel like I can wait to eat) and I generally eat less. I don't think it is "natural" for me to feel hungry more often and eat more, it is a consequence of my food choices.

The simple solution is for me to eat home made food. But right now when I am working and renovating and I feel like I don't have the energy to be organised enough to go the the shops, buy the food I should be eating, cook the food and bring it to work. Of course I have the energy to do what I should do but I choose not to.

Food cravings is another interesting aspect. If I eat a lot of chocolate, I crave chocolate. If I eat a lot of sugar foods, I crave sugary foods. If I don't eat chocolate or sugary foods, I never crave anything. Maybe I am just unusual.
<removed by request>

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 pm

yep, biscuits chocolate in the house is dangerous for me...can't stop at 1...
presume it is an insulin resistance thing, compounded by dehydration/lack of adrenalin/lack of fatty acids circulating.
anyway, I always feel less pangs when including lots of salad for lunch and vege/salad for dins.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:59 pm

winstonw wrote:I was listening to a researcher this morning regarding insights into leptin. His view is weight gain for a significant % of people is biological, not psychological or emotional. I couldn't help but think if I choose to buy a bottle of wine on the way home tonight, is that my biology compelling me? And if I resist that urge, am I harming my "nature"? I also wonder whether it is biological for people to crave fruit loops, snakes alive, tim tams, pizza....and what people craved before these things were invented.
I'm pleased you pointed this out. It does appear that "researchers" are doing their best to blame obesity on everything but the individual. Meanwhile, other "researchers" are spending our taxes trying to invent drugs to deal with obesity or promote surgery to do likewise.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:21 pm

biker jk wrote:
I'm pleased you pointed this out. It does appear that "researchers" are doing their best to blame obesity on everything but the individual. Meanwhile, other "researchers" are spending our taxes trying to invent drugs to deal with obesity or promote surgery to do likewise.
Too true. http://www.fatblaster.com.au/product-info/fatmagnet/

Or you could just eat healthy and nutritious food in the first place.
<removed by request>

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:40 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:That's interesting. I wonder how much he has considered confounding variables. In my experience, when I eat a lot of highly processed food, I get hungry more often, my hunger is more "uncontrollable" (I feel like I have to eat) and I generally eat more. When I get more whole foods, I get hungry less often, my hunger is more "controllable" (I feel like I can wait to eat) and I generally eat less. I don't think it is "natural" for me to feel hungry more often and eat more, it is a consequence of my food choices.

The simple solution is for me to eat home made food. But right now when I am working and renovating and I feel like I don't have the energy to be organised enough to go the the shops, buy the food I should be eating, cook the food and bring it to work. Of course I have the energy to do what I should do but I choose not to.

Food cravings is another interesting aspect. If I eat a lot of chocolate, I crave chocolate. If I eat a lot of sugar foods, I crave sugary foods. If I don't eat chocolate or sugary foods, I never crave anything. Maybe I am just unusual.
I definitely get the same 'uncontrollable' hunger, where I absolutely have to eat something and if I don't get something into me pretty quickly then I can be very unpleasant. When I am dropping weight and therefore cutting out all of those processed foods and sweet foods then my hunger is more manageable (except for the first few days which are quite difficult).

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a nightmare for me, while I was restricting my calorie intake my partner was getting ready for WEMBO so was eating plenty of everything and the house was (and still is) full of all sorts of tempting little energy dense treats. It has taken a lot of effort for me not to gorge myself on all the stuff lying around.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Im 6ft, 65kg. Look like Chris Froome's brother with more hair.

I do count calories so I get enough carbs each day and by 5pm if I havent eaten at least 3000cals from carb rich foods then I start cramming them in asap.

My Mum is clinically obese and my older brother has a beef gut. So its not genetic Im like this. Its not training either cos my other mates that eat the same as me are as lean yet they would struggle on any bunch ride due to poor fitness.

People want to eat crap and get as lean as me and stay that way but it just doesnt work. Even if you calorie restrict and run on stimulants like caffeine etc EVENTUALLY you are going to crack and blow out just like we see all the time.

My gf dropped 20kg eating this way and now has a sports model body with no calorie restriction, weight loss drugs, caffeine etc.

Eat like a kenyan if you want to look like one. In our house you will NEVER find oil, salt shakers (food/sauces have enough salt in it), animal products, greasy foods. You will find bags of refined sugar, boxes of fruits, bags of potatoes, organic rice and corn though.

Everyone can get amazing natural results but most people would rather die than eat like us. I understand that, just wanted to share my experiences though. :)
Vegan since 2001.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:35 am

Hi durian. You been away?

I'm sure this has been asked before but what is your total calories for a day. Also an estimate of how much riding and running you do for a week.

Also can you link some of your recommend vegan meals.

I have been following your posts. I must say passionate. But I have been picking up some good tit bits of information to use myself. I don't know if I would ever go raw vegan but I have been adopting healthier choices. I still eat meat but have dropped how much I would eat.

Also What do you think about eliminating wheat? I dropped wheat and gluten products and that definitely made me feel better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:57 pm

durianrider wrote:most people would rather die than eat like us
Everybody dies. :wink:
<removed by request>

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 pm

well nothing stalled about my weight loss this week. 700grams gone in 48 hours.
190 km ridden, and one gym session.

however, eating more plants sure makes your No.2s heavier! :shock:

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 pm

skull wrote:Hi durian. You been away?

I'm sure this has been asked before but what is your total calories for a day. Also an estimate of how much riding and running you do for a week.

Also can you link some of your recommend vegan meals.

I have been following your posts. I must say passionate. But I have been picking up some good tit bits of information to use myself. I don't know if I would ever go raw vegan but I have been adopting healthier choices. I still eat meat but have dropped how much I would eat.

Also What do you think about eliminating wheat? I dropped wheat and gluten products and that definitely made me feel better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

If you go to Freelea's channel in about an hour she is posting 'what I eat wednesdays and we eat pretty much the same but I would eat more just cos I need to move more weight than her every step.

We eat 100% vegan but not 100% raw vegan. Can be a challenge to find enough quality sugar rich fruit in Australia so we NEVER miss a meal and go with the next best vegan option - tinned fruits, dried fruits, rice/pasta/corn/barley/millet/quinoa/potato/yam dishes etc.

Keeping light is our goal so we keep it low protein, low sodium (under 1500mg ideally per day), low fat and UNLIMITED carbohydrates. No oils.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:34 pm

What do I think of wheat? I think its over rated and other carb sources are a better option like sugar, fruit, gluten free starches like potato, corn, rice, yam etc.

Most peoples issue with wheat is all the fat, protein and salt they slather on it typically. Still, gluten intolerance is a genuine issue and I sure can't eat a lot of gluten products hence base my diet around sweet fruits primarily with starchy gluten free carbs as a back up option when fruit is running low.
Vegan since 2001.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 am

I call BS on the amount of *sugar* you eat. "Sugar" is a product on the supermarket shelves, in a packet, with the word "sugar" on it. If I drink milk, I am not "eating sugar" even though lactose is a sugar. If I eat an apple, I am not "eating sugar" even though apples contain Glucose, Fructose and Sucrose which are all "sugars". If you are intentionally vague and just say "I eat a lot of sugar" when you actually mean "I eat a lot of fruit" it could mean drink a lot of coke to some people, because coke is full of sugar. But apparently, sugar is great for you, so no harm in a couple of litres of coke every then, right? :wink: I mean, it's no fat, high sugar. All good. Must be.
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:40 am

Pretty sure he means sugar... not fruit, carbs etc... straight out of the packet.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:04 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Pretty sure he means sugar... not fruit, carbs etc... straight out of the packet.
Doubt it. Sugar isn't vegan. That black stuff in white sugar is charred animal bones. No self respecting 811rv* would recommend eating charred animal bones.

* What is 811rv? I'm getting the idea that this 80/10/10 diet is pretty much a fruitarian diet. Is that a pretty good evaluation?

Depends what you mean by fruitarian. By calories, yes; by volume, maybe. The guideline is "fruit during the day, and a LARGE salad for dinner."

http://www.foodnsport.com/faq.php

Don't read this too closely though. There is some heresy on that page...
Don't you have to cook grains in order to get their nutritional benefit?

This question presupposes that grains such as rice, wheat, barley, and oats are helpful to the body's nutrition. Actually, they are not. The fact that they must be cooked to be edible is the first clue that something is wrong with them.
Rice is bad for you? Ouch! There goes decades of dogma out the window.
<removed by request>

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: Rice is bad for you? Ouch! There goes decades of dogma out the window.
Of course it is, never mind the fact that Japanese have the worlds highest life expectancy!

(and no, im not suggesting that it caused by Rice alone)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: Rice is bad for you? Ouch! There goes decades of dogma out the window.
Of course it is...
Oh no! I had cooked rice for lunch. I can feel my life slowly slipping away.
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:15 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Pretty sure he means sugar... not fruit, carbs etc... straight out of the packet.
Doubt it. Sugar isn't vegan. That black stuff in white sugar is charred animal bones. No self respecting 811rv* would recommend eating charred animal bones.

* What is 811rv? I'm getting the idea that this 80/10/10 diet is pretty much a fruitarian diet. Is that a pretty good evaluation?

Depends what you mean by fruitarian. By calories, yes; by volume, maybe. The guideline is "fruit during the day, and a LARGE salad for dinner."

http://www.foodnsport.com/faq.php

Don't read this too closely though. There is some heresy on that page...
Don't you have to cook grains in order to get their nutritional benefit?

This question presupposes that grains such as rice, wheat, barley, and oats are helpful to the body's nutrition. Actually, they are not. The fact that they must be cooked to be edible is the first clue that something is wrong with them.
Rice is bad for you? Ouch! There goes decades of dogma out the window.
My sugar is totally vegan... straight from the tree.
Your posting style here is exactly the same as your arch nemesis :P

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Your posting style here is exactly the same as your arch nemesis :P
I am aware of that.
never argue with an idiot in public. a passerby won't know the difference.
I am aware that I risk the same when arguing with a troll. The difference is that my sole purpose of joining this forum was not to push a particular dogma and/or drum up business. The modus operandi of people like this is to get attention and I know that it is best not to respond. However, I equally feel very strongly that some of the more dubious claims should not be left unchallenged. At the end of the day, people will read both sides and make up their own minds. However, they can only do that if there are two (or more) sides to read. I also don't go into every cycling health thread and hijack it with my particular dietary dogma :roll:
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Sugar straight out of the packet is crunchy!
<removed by request>

kb

Postby kb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 am

im_no_pro wrote:
Of course it is, never mind the fact that Japanese have the worlds highest life expectancy!
Imagine how long they'd live if they didn't eat rice then! ;-)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am

Better explain how rice is good for us then...?

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Bacon... had bacon for breakfast twice this week, with sausages...