your thoughts??????

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

your thoughts??????

Postby vince » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:02 pm

As a person who never trained or played sport as a kid i'd like to find out what people think about while training/riding whether in a bunch or riding solo? I get rule 6 but what are your er.... well, thoughts?
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"
vince

by BNA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 pm

BNA

Re: your thoughts??????

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Depends a fair bit on the ride. In a bunch you need to be constantly on the ball to what's happening around you, so your thoughts never really get a chance to stray too far from the immediate surrounds. Out solo, just let the mind go where it will (but don't get too zoned out from your surrounds). Sometimes not thinking about the ride is a better approach, especially if it's a tough one.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:33 pm

When on the road, depending on traffic conditions, I'm usually concentrating on the traffic around me and the road conditions. And staying alive.

When on quiet roads or deserted bike paths, what ever lifes problems are currently vexing me.

If there is an attractive female in the vicinity, sucking it in and looking nonchalantly cool.
briztoon

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 pm

vince wrote:As a person who never trained or played sport as a kid i'd like to find out what people think about while training/riding whether in a bunch or riding solo? I get rule 6 but what are your er.... well, thoughts?

i never ride in a group

but riding with a mate, i generally dont think much... just have a good whinge about life.

when i ride solo i tend to think about how fatigued i am, how thirsty i am.... as well as insignificant thoughts...
e.g riding on a regular bike path... each time i pass the spot i saw an idiot act spiteful to me one time.. ill think "what an arrogant $#%^^&"

thats about it
i dont think ill ever think about useful things in life whilst riding.

What i find helps and distracts me from useless thoughts is riding when the sun set is projecting a shadow of me riding/pedalling.. then it motivates me on consistent pedalling
DoubleSpeeded

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Dealing with the immediate situation keeps me fully occupied. That's the beauty of it.

Occasionally that might be supplanted by attention to HR zones and cadence when doing repeats on quiet traffic free climbs. Occasionally - when I'm fit - chasing the rabbit in front.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

your thoughts??????

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Riding in a bunch I'm either chatting with the others or hanging on grimly.

I'm a solo tourist and have spent many hours on the bike alone with my thoughts. What do I think about? Trivia I suppose - what is the next point of interest, how far have I come since last time I checked, what kind of geological formation is that, what is for lunch, what will the weather be like tomorrow, what is for dinner, why can't I get that tune out of my head, gee isn't that a beautiful/interesting/boring/ugly landscape - you name it.

Sometimes when the road is long and uninteresting I just listen to an audiobook.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Return to Cycling Health