Taking the knife to the knee

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Taking the knife to the knee

Postby winstonw » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:47 pm

moosterbounce wrote:
wombatK wrote:
winstonw wrote:Human tissue degenerates, period.

So where are we at with stem cell research. Do you see any hope for regenerating injured ligaments, cartilages or tendons ?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Stem cell therapy is being used now. Liposuction is performed on the patients stomach (only 100ml I'm afraid ;) ) and is injected into the joints. There is also platelet-rich therapy which I believe concerns injecting higher red count blood back in. Platelet stuff is not expensive but used for ligaments I believe. Stem cell is more expensive and not common, but good results are being seen in cartllidge regeneration. Been done in horses for years.

- Recently, I was invited to invest in the soon to start Australian distribution of Mimedx's Amniofix and Epifix (human amniotic membrane products used for stimulating growth/repair of all human tissue), and sat through a 2 hour presentation of the latest data in the field. These products have far superior results to anything else, including PRP and mesenchymal stem cell injections.
- QUT group tissue therapies http://www.tissuetherapies.com/ is developing VitroGro ECM which is totally synthetic, though this is not injectible into joints.
- In Australia, LARS ligaments used in ACL reconstruction, have a higher rate of failure amongst professional athletes.

The problem with all these things is that rarely is one structure damaged in the knee. Trauma often effects cartilage, meniscus, and ACL.
Or in the Masters athlete or Joe Average, everything is worn from overuse, and circulation is compromised due to sup-optimal diet and consequent artherosclerosis. Even when surgery/injections are all nice and sophisticated and cutting edge, if the patient goes back to a cr@p diet and half committed rehab, then its like buying a $10,000 bicycle and putting the same engine on it, and expecting to go a lot faster for a lot longer.

Everyday I am trying to educate clients about the profound importance of fostering healing and tissue preservation from the inside out via appropriate diet, hydration, and rest; and from the outside in via appropriate training load. It's not a message everyone is ready to hear. Many think surgeons know more, and therefore have a superior solution to injury prevention.
winstonw

by BNA » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:23 pm

BNA

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Parker wrote:You better be outta the water quickly, cause I promised Paul I'd kill him on the bike... speaking of... eight weeks to go!!!

Yeah yeah ;)
moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Yay - I'm back on the road bike :)

Saw the surgeon for my 6 week checkup last week and he was happy. I'm all fixed. The damage was removed and all is good to go again (slowly and carefully of course). He suggested I should avoid full squats for the near future after I said I accidentally found myself in that position and almost passed out!! Apparently this position loads the area that was damaged so it makes sense as I'm still healing internally.

Anyway, my knees are the most symmetrical he's seen. Same injury in the same place of the same size on each knee. Wear is the same each side which means I'm obviously walking straight. Apparently I have a 20 year old's knees on the inside. I'm happy with that!!

Instructions were to get on with my life and don't do long distance running (except to cross something off my bucket list). And I need to be aware that pushing up hill etc on the bike will hurt for a bit.

So I took Scotty for a ride this afternoon. 20.8km...average was quite below my usual at 18.5kmh. But my knees didn't hurt at all. I went up some short hills, tried standing on the pedals - all good. Now however my thighs have decided they hurt...a lot. Understandable as they've had limited load for 4 months!! But it's all looking up from here. New bike build this coming week and I'll keep trying to get in 20km most days to rebuild

If you are suffering from knee pain, don't muck around and get it looked at. I'm glad I had it done (remember though I couldn't wald more than 100m without being crippled) and can recommend a surgeon in Perth if anyone is interested.
moosterbounce

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:24 am

moosterbounce wrote:Yay - I'm back on the road bike :)

Saw the surgeon for my 6 week checkup last week and he was happy. I'm all fixed. The damage was removed and all is good to go again (slowly and carefully of course). He suggested I should avoid full squats for the near future after I said I accidentally found myself in that position and almost passed out!! Apparently this position loads the area that was damaged so it makes sense as I'm still healing internally.

Anyway, my knees are the most symmetrical he's seen. Same injury in the same place of the same size on each knee. Wear is the same each side which means I'm obviously walking straight. Apparently I have a 20 year old's knees on the inside. I'm happy with that!!

Instructions were to get on with my life and don't do long distance running (except to cross something off my bucket list). And I need to be aware that pushing up hill etc on the bike will hurt for a bit.

So I took Scotty for a ride this afternoon. 20.8km...average was quite below my usual at 18.5kmh. But my knees didn't hurt at all. I went up some short hills, tried standing on the pedals - all good. Now however my thighs have decided they hurt...a lot. Understandable as they've had limited load for 4 months!! But it's all looking up from here. New bike build this coming week and I'll keep trying to get in 20km most days to rebuild

If you are suffering from knee pain, don't muck around and get it looked at. I'm glad I had it done (remember though I couldn't wald more than 100m without being crippled) and can recommend a surgeon in Perth if anyone is interested.

So now you going to fix the rest of the body to suit your legs? :lol: Make sure you do do things slowly until the healing has finished totally. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 pm

foo on patrol wrote:So now you going to fix the rest of the body to suit your legs? :lol: Make sure you do do things slowly until the healing has finished totally. :wink:

Foo

Nah Foo..the rest of me is for the glue factory!! ;)
moosterbounce

Previous

Return to Cycling Health